Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
T3kiz

5 Gallon Kits?

Thinking about picking up a couple 5 gallon kits this weekend, comparing by output, theyre way cheaper and I figure I'll give em a shot to compare them to the Mr. Beer kits. My LHBS usually has Muntons, Coopers, True Brew and John Bull in stock. Anyone have a preference when/if you are using one of these kits? :cheers:

I personally do not have a preference but one thing I would suggest is that you buy yeast while there, that way you know you have enough, it isnt sitting out at room temp with the kit itself, and you can control the flavor profile etc of the yeast.

You may have noticed that all the Mr Beer recipes have a common "taste" - that comes from yeast as far as I can figure. My LHBS makes their own "kits" - as opposed to just a 3.3 pound can or Muntons etc - so you may want to see if you can get some DME/LME, some steeping grains and hops and just do it all yourself. Tell them you are new and you want something simple but tasty and I bet they can slap you a recipe together based on whatever style you want to make.

Cheers
jeff

Some of the online companies are great. Northern Brewer's kits are very well put together.

"haerbob3" post=324745 said:

Northern Brewer's kits are very well put together.

I have a buddy who taught me about all-grain last weekend. He loves the NB kits.

If your looking for simple extract kits, and they have Muntons Gold kits (these come as 2 3.3# cans of extract), then those kits make good beer in LBKs. 1 can + included yeast in 1 keg. The other can + some other yeast in another keg (S-04 is a good choice).

The true brew kits are steeping + extract kits, if you have done a steep and / or want to learn how then those would be good choices.

The other kits you mentioned will probably require an adjunct like 2# of DME or sugar to make 5 gallons of beer. Just be aware of this. They will likely call for sugar, but DME will make better beer in most cases.

"Manowarfan1" post=324738 said:

I personally do not have a preference but one thing I would suggest is that you buy yeast while there, that way you know you have enough, it isnt sitting out at room temp with the kit itself, and you can control the flavor profile etc of the yeast.

You may have noticed that all the Mr Beer recipes have a common "taste" - that comes from yeast as far as I can figure. My LHBS makes their own "kits" - as opposed to just a 3.3 pound can or Muntons etc - so you may want to see if you can get some DME/LME, some steeping grains and hops and just do it all yourself. Tell them you are new and you want something simple but tasty and I bet they can slap you a recipe together based on whatever style you want to make.

Cheers
jeff

I actually was going to look into getting some liquid yeast to try that out as well, so I may have to make a trip to a better store. My LHBS is pretty horrible. The only thing that they keep in stock is a couple Carboy starter kits and the 5 gallon refill/recipe kits theyre now trying to offload. They mostly do wine making and any mention of beer gets eyes rolled and short derisive answers. But I like the idea of using DME/LME with steeping grains and hops so I guess I should start planning a trip to a bigger and better HBS in another city this weekend. Thanks for the tip Jeff! :barman:

"mashani" post=324812 said:

If your looking for simple extract kits, and they have Muntons Gold kits (these come as 2 3.3# cans of extract), then those kits make good beer in LBKs. 1 can + included yeast in 1 keg. The other can + some other yeast in another keg (S-04 is a good choice).

The true brew kits are steeping + extract kits, if you have done a steep and / or want to learn how then those would be good choices.

The other kits you mentioned will probably require an adjunct like 2# of DME or sugar to make 5 gallons of beer. Just be aware of this. They will likely call for sugar, but DME will make better beer in most cases.

Muntons is the only one that Ive heard of so I might have to get a couple of those and the True Brew. Ive only recently started reading about steeping, so the true brew kits sound like they might be a good way to start out and learn about it.

I will definitely have to find a better HBS that will know if the other kits require an adjunct, or know more about them. My LHBS is useless if I have any questions. Could I interchange between DME & LME instead of the sugar? Or just use LME as an additional adjunct on top of the sugar/DME?

Guest System Admin

Yes, subbing DME for sugar will make a WAY better end product.