Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bpbpthomas

Band and still looking for a malty English Brown

Hi, everyone.
I've been absent from Mr Beer for more than half a year . . but I'm back and once again/still looking to find a way to make a nice malty Southern English Brown Ale through Mr Beer.
"English Brown" is still an option under Recipes -> By Style, but there are no actual recipes listed.

Is this an indication that maybe there will be a nut-brown malt returning to Mr Beer in the future? I've been waiting, but is it for naught?

I made a Coopers ale, and was disappointed with the result.
I'm not interested in doing a full all-grain batch; I miss the old Mr Beer Nut Brown Ale and Creamy Brown. Yum.
Anyone know if that "English Brown" category is ever again actually going to have a recipe listed?
Thanks!

If you wan't to base it around an HME, best bet at the moment might be to start with a can of Oktoberfest and steep a few ounces each of 40L, Victory Malt, and a bit of British Chocolate. Boil 1/4oz of Goldings for a few minutes in the steeped grain wort. If you want a dry yeast use S-04, it's a perfect yeast actually Lots of other yeast choices too, London ESB if you want to order from Mr. Beer, Ringwood or Yorkshire would be good too but Mr. Beer doesn't sell those.

I won't exactly be a Southern English brown, but it will be tasty I'm sure.

I can't think of any other HME from them I'd start with. The Oktoberfest is going to give you the best base flavor to work from. The Bewitched is too bitter and too strong.

At least that's my guess based on making many a Frankenbier.

Welcome back bp!

I don't know of ant MrB based, but I have a pretty nice Northern English Brown Ale on tap.