Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bassman

Brewers Best Carb Tabs - Beer is Flat

I feel like I only have myself to blame for this. When I came back to brewing and using Mr. Beer my goal was an easy and quick process. Arguably I should have used a priming method I had used before, sugar! I made a WCPA and for bottling I used Carb Tabs. I put 5 tabs in a 16 oz. bottle. I tasted the first after about 2 or 3 weeks in the bottle, flat. Okay, have some patience. Then I went 4 weeks, flat. I put a bottle in the fridge on last Friday, that is almost 6 weeks in the bottle. I opened it tonight, 2 days later, and it was flat.I don't mind the little floaties I have seen in every pour, maybe 2 or 3 little floaters. But the beer is flat. I get a little pffft when I open it but not much. They recommend 4 for normal carbonation in a 12 oz. bottle. I emailed them and they recommended 5 for 16 oz. I don't mind low carbonation but there is no carbonation on the tongue at all.

Thoughts? I gave it almost 6 weeks in the bottle at room temperature. I put a bottle in tonight and will give it a week to see if it needs more time in the fridge to have the CO2 go back into solution better. This beer was made with US-05 and had a healthy fermentation. The FG was what 1.015 from 1.048. The taste is fine but just lacks carbonation.

Never used the tabs, I use either sugar, honey, or dme. What was the temp of the room? Can u tell if the tabs just disolved and sat in the bottom of the bottle? Any bottle trub at all?

I used them a year or so ago. The first batch was crap - flat beer. The rest went in the garbage and I went back to cane sugar.

My apartment stays around 71' to 72'. I believe the tabs desolved. There is trub in the bottle.

It's really disappointing because the actual taste is good.

I have used the Coopers carb drops and they work fairly well. if you have the standard bottles you may need 1 1/2 or 1/2 for the 12oz as they put quite a fizz in the bottle. Normally in about 24hrs I can see the drop start to dissolve in the bottom of the bottle.

"BadgerBrew" post=327468 said:

I have used the Coopers carb drops and they work fairly well. if you have the standard bottles you may need 1 1/2 or 1/2 for the 12oz as they put quite a fizz in the bottle. Normally in about 24hrs I can see the drop start to dissolve in the bottom of the bottle.

These are the Brewers Best and look like little pills. They're dissolved but I thought of giving the remaining bottle a couple turns to rouse the yeast and any uneaten sugars. They recommend 4 for a 12 oz. bottle. I used 5 in a 16 oz. I have a good bit of them left and am going to try 5 in a few 12 oz. bottles for the batch I'm bottling tonight just to see. Also, I'm going to take a bottle of the WCPA once a week and put it in the fridge for a week ad see if it develops.

What kind of bottles are you using? You said 16 oz, are they swingtops or PET?

In either case, any chance you didn't get a good seal on the bottles? I know the swingtop gaskets need to be changed out from time to time as do the caps for PETs...just curious if that could be the culprit instead of the tabs themselves.

Bassman,
I think I saw a post on here somewhere that instead of throwing it out they added a bit more yeast and sugar and recapped them to try and save the beer.

Oh no I just bottled with those last night I used 4 per 12oz bottles I hope they will be ok

"Brewbirds" post=327479 said:

Bassman,
I think I saw a post on here somewhere that instead of throwing it out they added a bit more yeast and sugar and recapped them to try and save the beer.

This is true. It is possible to recarb the bottles at this point if they aren't carbed. However, I think its important to find the cause before you try to find a remedy.

There have been many posts, though, about re-priming the bottles and having successful carbonation occur, so all is certainly not lost.

They are PET bottles, first time using them. They felt tight but I tried to not tighten them to the point of breaking or stressing the plastic cap.

If I add some sugar then how much? I would guess I don't want to use a whole tsp of sugar.

Bassman...if you have gone 4+ weeks and don't have any carbonation, then you will use the normal amount of sugar for 16 oz bottles. To my tastes, about 3/4 tsp per bottle (which should give you about 2.4 CO2 volumes, but going as much as a full teaspoon would not be out of style for the WCPA I don't think.

Very strange that you didn't get any carbonation, though...must have been bad tabs.

One word of caution on re-priming...I have not done it, so this is hearsay, but its my understanding that the beer can react with the sugar when poured in this way. It tends to gush, so be careful when pouring the sugar in. You will also likely have to invert the bottles once capped in order to get any stray grains of sugar off the sides of the bottles, but do so carefully as well so as not to aerate the beer.

Good luck!!

Thanks manosteal. I get a pffft when I open the bottle but absolutely no head.

Edit: I just went to look up information about the carb tabs for my experiment tonight and Northern Brewer lists them as being discontinued.

I use the Brewer's Best conditioning tabs on occasion. I find that 4 tabs per 12 oz. bottle will produce medium carbonation (2.5ish CO2 volume). I prefer at least 5 tabs per 12. oz bottle for my wheat beers. When using these tabs, I sometimes have to allow more time for the beers to properly carb.

I have used the brewers several times with no problems but I usually let them sit at least four weeks before I even try one. I usually only put what beer I am going to drink in the fridge. The rest sits out at room temps till i amready to drink.