Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
calledthestig

Blue Moon Type Clone

So just wanted to get opinions on this before I brewed it tomorrow morning. If I need anything I can run to the LHBS before I brew since I have the day off tomorrow from work.

Thanks russki for the recipe!

2 pounds Wheat DME
0.5 oz Saaz @ 45 minutes
0.25 oz dried orange peel @ 10 minutes
0.25 oz crushed coriander seeds @ 10 minutes

US-05 Yeast

I am going to do a partial boil since I can't fit that much water / DME into any pot I have in my apartment. so I was thinking of doing 1.5 gallons of water + 1lb DME in the boil of the hops and spices and then add the remaining DME at flameout and then pour into my pre-filled LBK. Then top off and pitch my yeast.

Any changes to procedure or ingredient list that anyone could recommend?

Thanks in advance as usual! :chug:

This is the same procedure I've used for my DME brews. Haven't had a bad one yet! Good luck with the brew day! I do love me some Blue Moon.

calledthestig~

Note that -in the link FIT provided- the guy is using sweet orange peel. Your recipe just says orange peel. Just be aware that your LHBS may have both sweet orange peel and bitter orange peel. It would be wise to know the difference between the two and select accordingly.

"Christ872" post=327749 said:

calledthestig~

Note that -in the link FIT provided- the guy is using sweet orange peel. Your recipe just says orange peel. Just be aware that your LHBS may have both sweet orange peel and bitter orange peel. It would be wise to know the difference between the two and select accordingly.

Thanks for pointing that out - I did go back and check and did have sweet orange peel which is great, makes my life much easier.

My final question before I start brewing this morning: do you usually bring the water to a boil then add the DME and wait for hot break or add the DME in with the cold water and boil it all at once?

Thanks everyone!

"calledthestig" post=327792 said:

My final question before I start brewing this morning: do you usually bring the water to a boil then add the DME and wait for hot break or add the DME in with the cold water and boil it all at once?

Thanks everyone!

Well, it should be hot. Close to boiling. Not sure if it has to exactly be boiling, but it would be far better off being hot than cold.

I would not "wait" for a hot break. DME + boiling wort + waiting = boil over. You should actually be stirring it in order for that boil over not to happen. As you stir, you're reducing the boil over and at some point it will submit and acheive that break.

Guest System Admin

Good point, Chris. Stirring helps keep the faoming at bay until the break. Once the break occurs, you can stir less. Normally after the hops go in, I turn my flame down from "10" to "8" and keep the boiling rolling but not crazy fierce.

Well that went extremely well - no boilover and no problems at all. Did a bit more orange at 10 minutes just to give it a shot, but nailed the OG according to QBrew.

1.041 and the wort tastes great.

Thanks for your help - will post pictures and updates as we go.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=327832 said:

Good point, Chris. Stirring helps keep the faoming at bay until the break. Once the break occurs, you can stir less. Normally after the hops go in, I turn my flame down from "10" to "8" and keep the boiling rolling but not crazy fierce.

You can also use a sanitized spray bottle of water. Either way will work, but if you want the foam to go down FAST, use a spray bottle.

Late to the party but when I use DME i use room temp water to mix it in. I find that the steam from using hot or boiling water causes the DME to immediately clump up in the bag or container making it harder to mix.

It may be a moot point since it sounds like you are already done and didn't have any issues.

"Kealia" post=327897 said:

Late to the party but when I use DME i use room temp water to mix it in. I find that the steam from using hot or boiling water causes the DME to immediately clump up in the bag or container making it harder to mix.

It may be a moot point since it sounds like you are already done and didn't have any issues.

I do notice this after I add the remaining DME at flameout since I don't have a big enough pot. The last ounce or two from the bag clumps up from the stream. Trying to figure out a way around this unless I just pour from higher up or cut a bigger hole in the bag.

Can you keep us posted on how close this turns out to Blue Moon? I'm still beginning but would love to replicate this closer to summer time. I could see that being a big hit!

I think you're gonna like this one - it's one of my go-to recipes (in AG form).

Keep us posted!

"SlickRick07" post=327964 said:

Can you keep us posted on how close this turns out to Blue Moon? I'm still beginning but would love to replicate this closer to summer time. I could see that being a big hit!

"russki" post=328180 said:

I think you're gonna like this one - it's one of my go-to recipes (in AG form).

Keep us posted!

Absolutely will keep everyone posted. When I open one I am going to pour a Blue Moon as well and compare between the two. Gonna do a blind taste with my homebrew friend to see if he can tell the difference.

Definitely saw some nice action this morning, but just a quick yeast question below.

BTW I only pitched about 2/3 packet of US-05 based on what I had read previously that those packets are usually overkill for an LBK sized batch - is that correct? Can you pitch TOO much yeast?

"calledthestig" post=328369 said:

BTW I only pitched about 2/3 packet of US-05 based on what I had read previously that those packets are usually overkill for an LBK sized batch - is that correct? Can you pitch TOO much yeast?

RDWHAHB. Unless you're pitching on top of a yeast cake from a previous batch, you're not overpitching. In most (not all) cases, it's better to pitch more yeast. You can use a whole 11g pack of dry yeast in an LBK batch with no ill effects.

So I like to check on my beers with a quick unscrew of the cap just to see what's going on in there and its only a few seconds so I'm not usually worried. Its been just a bit more than a week from brew day aand the beer has white sediment floating on top that I've never seen before. This is normal and not some sort of infection right?

vsz4rsk.jpg

"russki" post=331845 said:

Stop perving on underage beer! It looks normal, RDWHAHB.

LOL - I just almost spit out my coffee.

Fine, fine, fine I will let it be. :chug:

"russki" post=331845 said:

Stop perving on underage beer! It looks normal, RDWHAHB.

+1. But if you must perv, use a flashlight and look through the side of the LBK. Removing the lid will compromise the protective CO2 blanket.

Bottled this morning - came in at 1.016 for an ABV of 3.6% so pretty spot on for my predictions. Wort tasted good and had a tiny hint of orange in there which is definitely nice.

Excited to try one of these next month.

First pour this morning - had to have a sneak of it.

So far its definitely an amazing beer, tastes just like the original. Honestly will probably only get better with time.

lBmcqeI.jpeg

Stig: Early drinker like me (It's 5 o'clock somewhere - AM or PM)...You waited 3 weeks correct for a test? I wanted to try one of mine this week but sitting on only 2 weeks yet Wednesday...I have been awaiting the moment to uncap mine. How was it??? Describe it in intimate details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just placed a big order of ingredients and this recipe was part of that. I noticed you said that you added a little more orange then the recipe asked for? How much more? Sweet right? Also, did you adjust any other part of the recipe? Looks good and I am looking forward to trying this thanks!

So quick tasting notes:

First off let me say that in a blind taste test (I will do a side-by-side this weekend), I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

It's a bit more orange-y than Blue Moon is and a bit less wheat-y, but that's okay with me. You can definitely get a hint of the corriander in the aroma - it's a very nice and smooth beer. It has a very nice mouthfeel as well - not too dry.

Definitely impressed with the recipe, very happy with the results.

Hopefully it gets even better with time.

"calledthestig" post=349654 said:

So quick tasting notes:

First off let me say that in a blind taste test (I will do a side-by-side this weekend), I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

It's a bit more orange-y than Blue Moon is and a bit less wheat-y, but that's okay with me. You can definitely get a hint of the corriander in the aroma - it's a very nice and smooth beer. It has a very nice mouthfeel as well - not too dry.

Definitely impressed with the recipe, very happy with the results.

Hopefully it gets even better with time.

Glad this turned out well - this is my "always on tap" recipe (in AG form). Although I would suggest drinking it young - wheats don't age well.

"russki" post=349669 said:

Glad this turned out well - this is my "always on tap" recipe (in AG form). Although I would suggest drinking it young - wheats don't age well.

Okay good to know - I will start having my friends drink them soon then. I want to buy Blue Moon this weekend and taste them side-by-side and see how close they are.

Not sure what adjustments I want to make next time though, if any. I want to drink it 4 weeks and decide.

Thanks for your help with this russki!

I'm glad this turned out well for you. I'm going to have to try it. Both SWMBO and I are big Blue Moon fans.

I am making this tonight. Thanks for the recipe, notes and pictures!

"JonV1027" post=349676 said:

I'm glad this turned out well for you. I'm going to have to try it. Both SWMBO and I are big Blue Moon fans.

Good luck - let me know how yours turns out.

"Connie" post=349677 said:

I am making this tonight. Thanks for the recipe, notes and pictures!

Good luck Connie - hope it all goes well for you.

My original question posted above: "I just placed a big order of ingredients and this recipe was part of that. I noticed you said that you added a little more orange then the recipe asked for? How much more? Sweet right? Also, did you adjust any other part of the recipe? Looks good and I am looking forward to trying this thanks!"

So you said it was a bit more orange-y. How much more orange did you add? Would you go back down to the original recipe amount next time? Thanks.

"calledthestig" post=337988 said:

Bottled this morning - came in at 1.016 for an ABV of 3.6% so pretty spot on for my predictions. Wort tasted good and had a tiny hint of orange in there which is definitely nice.
Excited to try one of these next month.

Great posts to let us know specifics...My OG was 1.047, FG = 1.015 for ABV = 4.3%, a little stronger than yours but not overkill on ABV. You also conditioned it for 3 weeks and mine is at 2 weeks tomorrow.

Russki: Is 2-3 weeks too early for a Wheat beer? I ended up with 18 = .5 litre bottles & 1 = .5 litre trub. I am really looking forward to tasting this as I did mine with an MB WWW 1.21# refill with 1# wheat DME & 4 grams of MB Yeast.
Keep the updates flowing Stig and thanks again.

"Deejay" post=349969 said:

My original question posted above: "I just placed a big order of ingredients and this recipe was part of that. I noticed you said that you added a little more orange then the recipe asked for? How much more? Sweet right? Also, did you adjust any other part of the recipe? Looks good and I am looking forward to trying this thanks!"

So you said it was a bit more orange-y. How much more orange did you add? Would you go back down to the original recipe amount next time? Thanks.

Oops sorry I missed this -- I believe I used about 0.5oz of orange as opposed to 0.25oz as in the original recipe.

Definitely glad I did too!

"calledthestig" post=349990 said:

"Deejay" post=349969 said:

Oops sorry I missed this -- I believe I used about 0.5oz of orange as opposed to 0.25oz as in the original recipe.

Definitely glad I did too!

Awesome thanks! I can't wait for my LBK to be free so I can make this! :chug:

"T8r Salad" post=349974 said:

Russki: Is 2-3 weeks too early for a Wheat beer? I ended up with 18 = .5 litre bottles & 1 = .5 litre trub. I am really looking forward to tasting this as I did mine with an MB WWW 1.21# refill with 1# wheat DME & 4 grams of MB Yeast.

Not at all - I usually start drinking mine as soon as it's carbonated.

I am brewing this now. I still have 30 minutes on the hop boil but my kitchen smells awesome! I do believe that is the second best smell ever.

I'm going to brew this one up this weekend but with a slight twist in the hops. Going with Styrian Golding and Tettnanger, + a very small amount of Honey Malt steeped prior to the DME/Hop Boil.

Guest System Admin

Honey malt can be steeped but its full potential is released when included in a mash, preferable with some base malt to assist in conversion. The manufacturer typically recommends up to 20% of the mash with Honey Malt for a unique flavor. That is the top end, though, if you want to brew something that is dominated by Honey malt flavors.

Thanks Wings. I don't have any other base malt, just bought 3 lbs of Wheat DME and have 1/2 lb crushed Honey Malt. I don't think I was going to use the .5 lb as I've read it can be pretty potent and I just want a hint or tinge of honey taste to compliment the beer.

I was just going to do what the OP did and start with 1.5 gallons but steep the Honey Malt for 30 minutes before the boil. Will that work ok?

"Connie" post=350030 said:

I am brewing this now. I still have 30 minutes on the hop boil but my kitchen smells awesome! I do believe that is the second best smell ever.

And the FIRST?????? :huh::huh::huh:

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=350762 said:

Honey malt can be steeped but its full potential is released when included in a mash, preferable with some base malt to assist in conversion. The manufacturer typically recommends up to 20% of the mash with Honey Malt for a unique flavor. That is the top end, though, if you want to brew something that is dominated by Honey malt flavors.

FYI: Honey malt can self convert like Munich if you mash it, if it's the only thing you are using (no other grains that need conversion).

If you have other stuff in there, then you need some 2-row.

"Kroger" post=350783 said:

Thanks Wings. I don't have any other base malt, just bought 3 lbs of Wheat DME and have 1/2 lb crushed Honey Malt. I don't think I was going to use the .5 lb as I've read it can be pretty potent and I just want a hint or tinge of honey taste to compliment the beer.

I was just going to do what the OP did and start with 1.5 gallons but steep the Honey Malt for 30 minutes before the boil. Will that work ok?

FWIW, this recipe does not need honey malt. You will lose the crispness of it, making it too sweet. This beer gets a lot of flavor from the spices, that's why it uses a very simple malt bill and and clean yeast. But it's your beer, so do as you like!

I made almost the same recipe for a blue moon type beer, except I used the old Mr beer whispering wheat Home.
1 lb light dme
coriander, orange Peel
sa-05 yeast

Tasted FANTASTIC when I drank some at bottling time. That was after a 2 week fermentation. After 2 weeks in the bottle I refrigerated and popped the first one since everyone says wheats are good young. It tasted good, but it had a very distinct green beer aftertaste. I could tell it was young in a second. The abv is about 4%. Just how young is too young? And when do wheats pass their prime? I'm thinking four weeks in the bottle should take care of the green taste, but will it already be over the hill by then?

I'm not super worried, I've made a couple wheat beers that were good aged, but I wanted to catch the peak of the famous young wheat.

While my version wasn't 100% of the original recipe, it was pretty close (just different hops). For a pretty straightforward beer, it came out great. Nice lacing that lingered, good nose, and very refreshing. Perfect for the spring/summer season. I'll be sure to have a wheat like this in my normal rotation.

:banana:

I wanted to try the Blue Moon Clone but was a confused on how much water to boil. It says 2-3 gallons, but it is for a 5 gallon batch. I am new to this, so sorry if my question is off a little.

Thanks

How much total water did you boil? It says boil 2-3 gallons, but it is for a 5 gallon batch. I am new to this, so sorry if I missed something

Thanks

"txpi146" post=370312 said:

How much total water did you boil? It says boil 2-3 gallons, but it is for a 5 gallon batch. I am new to this, so sorry if I missed something

Thanks

he only boiled part of the water(2-3 gallons) then topped it off with the rest of the water just like MrB HMEs