Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Survey - How many Mr. Beer fermenters do you have?

Guest System Admin

:barman: :barman: Heck, let's expand it a little further. How many Fermenters do you have and what types? Curious how many LBK's you have, whether you still use them, and what other type fermenters you have. Give some other comments/thoughts too....like are ALL of your LBK's usually in use?

Me?

2 LBK's (+1 more on the way). Mine are all in use, and should be staying that way for the next several months, unless I'm not drinking fast enough.

0 other fermenters (like the idea of 2.5 gallon batches and brewing lots of variety; 5 gallons seems too much at the current time)

Personally, I'm on a journey to brewing a once per week cycle for awhile and full 3 weeks in each keg, where I bottle and immediately brew another batch. I have a hydrometer, but figure I'll just leave everything in the LBK's since time will be on my side, and there appears to be only benefit by leaving them full 3 weeks. Inventory should build rapidly, I suspect, and I can easily let the bottles sit for weeks/months. May go to doubling up on weekends. and 2 on, 1 week off. Now my problem will soon be bottles, but just talked to the owner of my local watering hole and he's recycling some bottles for me.

I have 3 LBKs. I also have 2 5 gal. glass carboys I had gifted to me, and a homer bucket that I bought to ferment in but haven't cut the hole for the airlock. I have only done 1 double mr beer in a carboy as I am still learning.

2 - 8 gallon buckets, 2 - 6 gallon buckets, 2 - 4 gallon buckets, 2 - 10 gallon stone crocks

3 LBK's (2 in use now), 2 6.9 gallon Ale Pales and 1 6 gallon Better Bottle clone with a 7.9 gallon Speidel on the way in a few weeks.

Guest System Admin

4 LBK's and 1Pilot Keg

sam0144.jpg

I have 6 LBK's, but can only keep 4 at most full at any time with amount of time and energy available. I alternate between splitting fivers between two LBK's and just doing single LBK batches. Recently started using a Party Pig and some Tap-A-Draft bottles to make bottling easier and faster, plus have a little fun. Also have two glass 2-gallon jugs for primary wine fermentation.

1 LBK that leaks and is unusable after one use.
1 warranty replacement LBK on the way from Mr. Beer.
1 alternate fermenter on order.

Originally noted the site where I got the LBC from but the filters are blocking it, which is understandable.

I have one lbk and a 6.5 gallon bucket. However, I've only been at this for about 3 weeks. Ask me again in 3 months.

I have 2. I also bought 2 more kits for $12.49 a few weeks back, have them on Craigslist whole and in pieces, but if I don't sell them may use the LBKs. With 4-6 beers a week, my pipeline is soon going to have months of beer at 2 batches every 3 weeks, so using more than 2 is not really needed.

I originally had 4 LBKs, but I have had at maximum 11 LBKs because of the contest. I've successfully given away 4, so I'm at 7 currently.

In addition, I have a couple 3 gallon Better Bottles, which are my fermenter of choice. I also have one 7.5 gallon Ale Pail, two 5 gallon pails, 1 one-gallon plastic collapsable fermenter, and a couple 1 gallon carboys.

I currently have two LBKs and one 1 gallon carboy in action. Will likely get another fermenter in action this weekend (likely a better bottle).

I've got 2 LBK's and one Ale Pail for 5 gallon batches. I've also got about 5 five gallon glass and 1 six gallon glass carboys laying around.
The glass carboys are for the wine though.

4 LBKs, 2 five gallon food grade bucket and one 6.5 gallon Ale Pail.
I would like to find some more LBKs at a reasonable price.
I have had all the LBKs and both five gallons in action at one time before the Ale Pail.
With the weather so up and down right now, I've only got one LBK and the Ale Pail working and I know the ones sitting on the sidelines are missing me!

2 LBK's plus a 6.5 gal. bucket, bottling bucket, carboy ( 5 or 6.5 I forget ) and a 3 gal. carboy

Guest System Admin

"teutonic terror" post=327779 said:

I would like to find some more LBKs at a reasonable price.

My local Craig's list has the kits with LBK and refill for $20.

People dumping x-mas gifts

I've got two LBKs, three 6.5 gal ale pails, one 6 gal glass carboy and one 5 gal Better Bottle. I get into moods where I feel like brewing and can end up with 25 gallons fermenting at one time. But for the most part I usually only have about 10 gallons fermenting at once. This may seem like a lot, but kegging makes it pretty easy on bottling day.

2 and need at least 2 more! I think I have a full on addiction.

"m3n00b" post=327795 said:

2 and need at least 2 more! I think I have a full on addiction.

To be perfectly nasty, you have a beerection!

Just one LBK right now, but I am planning on getting a second one soon. I don't have room for more than two at the moment.

6 LBKs and a 5 gallon kit from Midwest Supplies (like the one that is on Living Social deals right now).

I have only done the 5 gallon deal twice - but am planning on using it again after SWMBO flies out after the weekend. Prolly do an IPA - since I know how to make those well enough that I can easily handle having 5 gallons of that :)

Cheers
jeff

Hmm...the true answer as to what I have is 4 (maybe 5...I forget) LBKs and 3 of the 5-gallon Ale Pales. However, I only really use 1 of the 5-gallon Pales...the other 2 I store grains in (or at least I will until I find the need to brew two 5-gallon batches at the same time.

3 LBKs, and a 6.5 gallon ale pail on the way.

Also, I can set up a legitimate survey if you really wanted the data, would be easier to track than counting these independently.

I only listed the primaries I also have 5 - 6 gallon Better Bottles, 2 - 5 gallon Glass Carboys, 2 - 3 gallon Better Bottles and 6 corny kegs. The 2 eight gallon fermenters are in use, two 6 gallon BBs full and 2 cornys in use

3 lbks all in use.

two for splitting 5 gallon batches. one for mr b refills.

or heck ill load em all with mr beer.

don't know if i will get a fourth this year.

but the pipeline is definitely better.

Currently 1xLBK, 1x6 Gallon pail, 1x5 gallon glass carboy.
Very sporadic brewing schedule, sometimes I'll do an LBK batch, then a 5 gallon batch, then go a month without brewing anything then do both in one weekend.

Currently have all vessels filled with deliciousness.

Oh only 2....
But if I had another fish cooler I'd get 2 more.
I do have a 6.5 gallon bucket and a special cooler for it so I can at least brew 10 gallons at once.
I also have a glass carboy, need to grab an airlock for it though, it's a good starsan container in the meantime.

"Draken" post=327853 said:

I must say I'm surprised that of the responses so far, no one else is using the LBC from another company. Guess I'll be the guinea pig when it arrives. Certainly is a wide variety of devices in use out there!

1) It's new.
2) Why spend more money if the equipment meets your needs?
3) It's $25. LBK is $10.

3 LBKs (one more or less in continuous use for SWMBOs peanutbutter oatmeal stout)
3 7 gallon pails
1 5 gallon carboy
1 8 gallon carboy (primarily for wine)
1 party pig (Christmas present)
3 cornies with airlock tops that I can use as secondaries in a pinch

Right now I have 2-LBKs and 2-5'ers going (and dreading bottling day).

1 lbk
1 lbk on order
1 2gal bucket for batch priming
Plans of adding more when I have room and finances.

just 2 LBKs. wishing I had a 3rd... actually, I'm thinking about getting 5 gallon buckets from Ace. Gonna need a bigger brew pot!

4 LBKs in rotation - sometimes one is out of rotation and used as a bottling bucket.

2 spares.

Had more, gave them away as gifts.

2 LBKs only 1 in use, don't yet have enough bottles to support 2 in continuous operation. Even plan to obtaining a 3rd LBK in the next couple months. Then the pipeline will truly begin to flow. :banana:

"Jimjohson" post=327928 said:

2 LBKs only 1 in use, don't yet have enough bottles to support 2 in continuous operation. Even plan to obtaining a 3rd LBK in the next couple months. Then the pipeline will truly begin to flow. :banana:

Drink More Beer! :gulp:

2 LBK's, 2 - 3 gal plastic icing buckets from local bakery, 1 - 6.5 gal plastic fermenting bucket, and 1 - 5 gal glass carboy. I probably use the 3 gal buckets the most, nice locking lids with rubber removable caskets and they were free.

Since just starting the obsession this past Christmas, I have a total of 2 LBK's. I could see progressing in the future to possibly one more LBK and then moving on to bigger buckets. Right now I'm still learning and at the beginning phase. A 5 gallon recipe seems like a lot to take on and a lot to risk if the beer doesn't turn out well for me yet. All in good time.........

3 LBKs. This works out nicely since I like to do 3 weeks in the fermenter, so I can get a nice batch a week rotation.

Rick

Got the kit as a Christmas gift and have already purchased an additional 2 lbks, for a total of three, all currently in use. And I have yet to taste my first homemade beer.

Best of both worlds.

2 LBK's and a 1 LBC. :evil:

LBK's are better to use in a cooler for temperature control while the LBC is professional grade equipment and much sturdier construction.

LBC nice, but it doesn't fit in my mini fridge. And I can get my two LBK's in there, one on the bottom, and one on the rack.

4 LBK's
1 6-gal Cooper's fermenter (my fave)
3 7.5-gal Ale Pails
3 6-gal Better Bottles

This question comes up lot here and I usually answer. The number has changed since last time as I broke one last week. At present I have 4 LBK's a 6.5 glass carboy, 2 -5 gal glass carboys and a 6 gal bottling bucket with a lid that can be used as a fermenter.
All subject to change if I break another one or buy another one before the question is asked again.

"Creativewoody" post=327826 said:

3 lbks all in use.

two for splitting 5 gallon batches. one for mr b refills.

That's a good system, Last weekend I split a 5 gal batch in 2 LBK's and did another batch in one LBK, but I also have 3 other 5 gal batches going in carboys too. I have a lot to watch, but I don't anymore because I know it's all doing it's thing.

I have 4. 1 fermenting as of sunday. I'm brewing another batch tonight. I've had all 4 going several times.
Also I just had my first keg spewage as of this morning, awesome!

Guest System Admin

Better watch out.......talking about "LBC" is getting people in trouble!!

I have 3 LBKs, but currently only use two of them in my brewing rotation.

I also have a 5-gallon carboy with a 5-gallon secondary. I don't use the secondary all that much, but it has come in handy when I have wanted it.

I have a 3-week brewing/bottling rotation, so I'm bottling and brewing every weekend. I use the LBKs for Mr. Beer recipes, although I'm planning on making some smaller batches of original recipes between Homebrew Club orders. And I plan on doing some experimental AG batches in them, until I'm satisfied with the recipes.

The fiver is for my original AG recipes that I'm satisfied with.

You have no idea how quickly the pipeline grows when you're brewing 15+ gallons every month.

I have 4 LBK's.

3 are always in rotation. I use the 4th one for batch priming. However I am leaning towards getting a slimline and using all 4 at a time.

I own two.... one for the brew and one for bottling (this will soon change when I get a good system down).

Two (plus a growing assortment of 5-gallon batch stuff and AG equipment).

"subhunter" post=328120 said:

I own two.... one for the brew and one for bottling (this will soon change when I get a good system down).

With the simple addition of a spring-loaded bottling wand attached to your extra LBK spigot with a 3" piece of food-grade 3/8" tubing, you'll have a nice little batch prime and bottling setup.

Im in Pittsburgh 'myhoselikesbeer' and its never been more than 4 or 5 days and thats if it covers a weekend. Its usually 3 business days. Our distribution Center is out of something Creek, Wisconsin.

I have currently three. All of which will be in use shortly. :D ...

I do however plan on getting some carboys eventually because they are purrrdy.

4 lbks, 3 I keep in rotation, the fourth as a spare/bottling. Two 6.5 gallon ale pails an five gallon bucket.

I just ordered a second LBK on Amazon. I'm excited to have two LBKs going at once.

4 LBKs, normally 1 in use + 3 spares, but currently all in use after a club brew day. Plus 4 3-gallon carboys for winemaking (longer aging time) but could be used for beer. And several 1-gallon carboys for experimental batches, averaging maybe 1 in use at a given moment.

Cool! Get 'er to use. Make sure it's real clean/sanitized. Inspect the interior, make sure there's no scratches that can hide bacteria. Fill 'er up with water and let 'er sit a bit to ensure there's no cracks/breaks/leaks, etc. Any scratches, use it as a flower pot.

Have 2 so far with a 3rd on the way. UPS is currently holding it hostage until Wednesday. This weekend, all will be getting put to use :woohoo:

6 LBKs...currently in negotiations with SWMBO on a couple of Ale Pails.

Typically, I run with 3 LBKs in rotation, but have had as many as four with something fermenting in them at one time.

Just starting to show interest in 5 gallon batches and AG brewing, so the 6.5g pails seems like the next logical step...SWMBO wasn't impressed, though, with that idea.

"manosteel9423" post=331521 said:

6 LBKs...currently in negotiations with SWMBO on a couple of Ale Pails.

Typically, I run with 3 LBKs in rotation, but have had as many as four with something fermenting in them at one time.

Just starting to show interest in 5 gallon batches and AG brewing, so the 6.5g pails seems like the next logical step...SWMBO wasn't impressed, though, with that idea.

For my personal consumption I prfer to brew in the smaller LBKs since I like to have a vatiety of different beers around to staisfy my taste at the moment. The 6.5 gallon fermenters I ferment my "house" beer, which I brew mainly for frinds, relatives and to give away. Since most of my friends a Bud Light Lime or corona aas close to a craft beer as they will ever come. :chug:

Bull...for the first 8-10 months, I felt the same way. I didn't think I would ever really want to move past the LBK sized batch because I enjoyed the experimental aspect of brewing different beers and always having something different to drink.

5 gallons of beer just seemed like too much.

However, as I have been considering going to AG brewing, the idea of spending 5-7 hours in a brew day to come out with 2.5 gallons of beer is not very appealing. Not to mention that I have made a few beers that I was truly disappointed when they were gone and wished I had made 5 gallons of.

So, that's my motivation for going bigger...the longer brew day of the AG process just makes more sense to increase the batch size for me, I guess.

I will probably do it much like The Hat does and still use my LBKs for smaller, extract batches. Doing maybe one 5 gallon AG batch per month or something. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Of course...SWMBO must first sign off on the 5 gallon equipment, but she's starting to come around! :kiss:

Two for now, trying to find the right amount of room to add another 3. I would really like not to have to go to the beer store unless it's to get a seasonal favorite!

"radonc73" post=327764 said:

I have 3 LBKs. I also have 2 5 gal. glass carboys I had gifted to me, and a homer bucket that I bought to ferment in but haven't cut the hole for the airlock. I have only done 1 double mr beer in a carboy as I am still learning.

If you're referring to the orange Home Depot buckets, they are not food safe, and contain known carcinogens.

Damn you, lowes! I actually work at home depot, and we don't (at least not my store) doesn't carry food safe buckets in stock.

There are Lowe's buckets that are specifically marked Food Safe. Mine had stickers on the side stating that. I"m assuming that that is what is radonc is referring to. I have two of those and they are a nice size for a 4 gallon batch.

Two 6 gallon Ale Pails, one 5 gallon carboy and one 6 gallon bottling bucket that could be used as a fermenter if an emergency ever arose. Along with 8 LBK's soon to be down to 7 (giving one of them to a good friend of mine to get him into homebrewing, even plied him a WWW refill, pak of One-step, a bag of booster and 2 MB yeast sachets)...To keep SWMBO happy with my brewing, every other batch is her choice, so far so good.

:cheers: