Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
antiwraith

Help picking out a kegging system

I want to start kegging and force carb'ing my homebrew. Right now all I have ever done is bottle and carb that way.

Can anyone comment on this setup?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-dual-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

I have a $40 Midwest gift card and there is a coupon for another $10 off. And I would order without the CO2 tank, that works out to $200 including tax and shipping. Any thoughts on this setup? Seems to be the best bang for your buck I can find for getting started with kegs.

First, you should check your local craigslist to see if any used corny kegs are available. You'd be surprised.

Midwest is a great company but I think you can do better if you look around however, that $40 gift certificate may tip the scales to Midwests' favor.

Check out these places first:
Kegconnection.com
http://www.kegcowboy.com/
http://www.kegkits.com

Do I want ball locks or pin locks? I assume whatever type you go with you'd want future kegs to be the same type. Is one kind better than the other?

Ball locks appear to be the most popular especially in my area. But, either way is fine. You can always get a conversion kit to go from one to the other though I would suggest whatever you do, you keep them all the same.

"antiwraith" post=328423 said:

"RickBeer" post=328419 said:

Guys don't wear leggings... :laugh:

I fixed that typo!!

Psst... look in the Title... ;)

"swenocha" post=328429 said:

"antiwraith" post=328423 said:

"RickBeer" post=328419 said:

Guys don't wear leggings... :laugh:

I fixed that typo!!

Psst... look in the Title... ;)

Lol. Damn touchscreen keyboard. Title is fixed on the first post.....looks like the replies are still botched. Sorry guys!

It means you can't change the title on the responses to your initial leggings post, only the people that replied can do that, and they won't, because it's funny. :laugh:

Your post is wrong anyway, when guys wear them they are called MEGGINGS, not LEGGINGS. Sheesh...

Check out AIHB Adventures In Home Brewing, That is where I bought mine great folk they will explain every thing you need to know. go with the ball lock, no matter who you buy from make sure the kegs have been reconditioned O rings & poppits

[attachment=10736]graphics-beer-073810.gif[/attachment]

--BobH

Whichever company u go with, the dual regulator is the one I suggest, not the single. I have 2 kegs carbing at the same time. U can carb one whilst serving from the other, or serve from 2 different kegs. I had a bunch of kegs, so I just bought the setup from Rebel. I like to be able to adjust without a screwdriver, both regulators have knobs.

Good point. I have a dual as well plus a regulator so I can do 3 or more at one time. It makes things easier when I have to force carb one keg but not another.

[attachment=10741]3waySITE.jpg[/attachment]

I have two regulators from Rebel, and a 2.5 gal keg I bought from Rebel. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bought a brand new co2 tank, since most places do an exchange and not refill. That being said, the service for Rebel is awesome.

Later I bought a 5 gal used corny from a LHBS for $45. It is decent, but I prefer the 5 Gal. compact kegs from Williams brewing that are 6 inches shorter.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/5-GALLON-COMPACT-BALL-LOCK-KEG-P3251C109.aspx
The only problem with this keg is that it is made in China. So far, I haven't had any problems.

I'll probably buy the 2.5 gal version from Adventures in Homebrewing when they get it in stock.

http://www.homebrewing.org/25-Gallon-Ball-Lock-Keg-W-Metal-Handles_p_2823.html

What's the difference between the 2 sizes, besides the size...LOL. I got all mine in 1/4, is the bigger better or just all personnal preference?

In New Jersey all Co2 tanks come stamped with an inspection date that is good for 5 years. Once you take your tank to be refilled after the inspection date the welding supply store will do a mandatory inspection that costs nearly as much as buying a new Co2 tank. This is what I remember being told when I bought my 5 pound tank a few years ago. You may want to cal your vendor and ask what date has been stamped on your tank before buying it.

"FrozenInTime" post=328547 said:

losman26, r those made in italy or china?

China, i'd give the 5 gal one a shot because the height is quite a bit shorter, and fits in smaller fridges. For the 2.5 gal one, I'd probably go with the Italian one with the rubber bottom and handles.

My tank is new and I just got it refilled yesterday but I am sure the hole in the wall place I go to for refills ($10) doesn't check my tank. And not because it looks new......you can just tell they don't care. The $10 was cash I don't see a register anywhere around. Nor taxes collected.
Wonder where the cash went. I mean which pocket?

"FrozenInTime" post=328545 said:

What's the difference between the 2 sizes, besides the size...LOL. I got all mine in 1/4, is the bigger better or just all personnal preference?

Like I said before, the 5 gal compact one from Williams is going to be 5-6 inches shorter than a standard corny keg. For me this is significant, because I don't have to ram it in the fridge to get it in place. It's maybe one inch wider in diameter.

This 2.5 gal keg is awesome. I have one of them, and for $99 this is great for a new one.

"Beer-lord" post=328550 said:

My tank is new and I just got it refilled yesterday but I am sure the hole in the wall place I go to for refills ($10) doesn't check my tank. And not because it looks new......you can just tell they don't care. The $10 was cash I don't see a register anywhere around. Nor taxes collected.
Wonder where the cash went. I mean which pocket?

I bought a new tank, but got tired of waiting to refill or having to drive. Eventually I just ended up exchanging it at AirGas, which has good quality used tanks.

I guess I'm lucky, as long as there's no gunfire the day I go there, but the welding supply store fills mine while I wait even though it feels like a war zone.

"losman26" post=328553 said:

Like I said before, the 5 gal compact one from Williams is going to be 5-6 inches shorter than a standard corny keg. For me this is significant, because I don't have to ram it in the fridge to get it in place. It's maybe one inch wider in diameter.

This 2.5 gal keg is awesome. I have one of them, and for $99 this is great for a new one.

Perhaps I should make myself a little clearer.... NOT the keg size, the barb size. Anyone know?

"FrozenInTime" post=328692 said:

"losman26" post=328553 said:

Perhaps I should make myself a little clearer.... NOT the keg size, the barb size. Anyone know?

Sorry, I was at work before, and not supposed to be on a computer. I didn't read your message entirely.It's the same to my knowledge as far as ball lock goes, mine are all 1/4 ID. I interchange the all the connections between them. I also use a 2 way distributor once in a while all with 1/4 ID.