Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rookbrewer

Commercial Bottles

I am new to the home brewing scene and have not bottled my first batch yet. I was wondering if commercial Bud Light bottles work with caps that can be bought. I was not sure if them being twist off caps mattered. Any insight into experiences or the best bottles would be greatly appreciated!!!

It is advised to use pop-top bottles instead of twist-off. Some have bottled successfully with twistees (I have bottled one or two bottles that way successfully), but there are a couple problems. One, your capper could potentially not get as good a seal as it would on the other bottles; and two, they are generally thinner and more prone to breakage.

Using twist-offs is a bad idea.
Get some Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Guiness, or even Grolsch if that's your style.
Those beers are available pretty much everywhere.

Where do you live?
There might be some local breweries that offer good beer as well! Support local breweries today!

I live in Cincinnati and only know of one brewery around here, Hudepohl. As far as I know they only have canned beer.

Guest System Admin

"rookbrewer" post=329146 said:

I am new to the home brewing scene and have not bottled my first batch yet. I was wondering if commercial Bud Light bottles work with caps that can be bought. I was not sure if them being twist off caps mattered. Any insight into experiences or the best bottles would be greatly appreciated!!!

No.

"rookbrewer" post=329171 said:

I live in Cincinnati and only know of one brewery around here, Hudepohl. As far as I know they only have canned beer.

Rivertown! Moerlein! I have both in my fridge right now...

Also, Mt. Carmel and Listermann are two I haven't tried from there.

I did not realize Moerlein was a locally brewed beer. The others I have never heard of. But thanks that is good to know.

Twisties bad, pop-tops good.

Lost of micros will have good bottles to use. Sam Adams has already been mentioned, but Sierra Nevada, Anchor, many larger micros with wide distribution have good reusable bottles.

And they come with free beer in them, too! :woohoo:

Here's the mother-lode of bottles (and the location I shop when in Cincy)... Jungle Jim's!

IMG_0093.jpg
Beer-at-Jungle-Jims.jpg
bottlesofbeer.jpg
Jungle-Jims-Beer.jpg

Mmmmm.... Beer...

Ok, now I'm drooling... I've been swenocha'd.

Sounds like a business oppty. A city as big as Cinci needs a local brewery. Who's with me?

I've been gone a very long time. They don't brew Schoenling in Cincy anymore? :barman:

"Jimjohson" post=329341 said:

I've been gone a very long time. They don't brew Schoenling in Cincy anymore? :barman:

Schoenling and Hudepohl are one in the same now. I'm really fond of both Rivertown and Moerlein, but there are a handful of other breweries as well.