Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Underwood

Cidery smelling beer

Was bottling my second batch of beer and noticed a little cidery smell to it after three weeks fermenting. It is the patriot lager. Did not have this with my first batch, american light. Is this normal for the lager? Will it condition out? A sample taste was fine just flat.............Need some knowledge from those who know...!

Thanks

it should but what you made is an ale. The basic refills are all ales what temps did you ferment it at? You still have 4 weeks to go after bottling

It might mean the brew was a little warm during fermentation, or it may just be normal for that brew. I haven't made that one. Leave it in the bottle for 4 weeks and the cidery smell likely will condition out.

The temp range was 66 - 70. Pretty identical to my first batch. just my first batch didnt have the cidery smell and turned out great

Just ignore it for 4+ weeks and the cidery notes should go away. The beer I'm drinking right now which I called "Silver and Gold Stock Ale" was made with the patriot, and it was very cidery smelling when I bottled it. I have no idea why. I did not ferment too warm, if anything I fermented at too low of a temperature for the DownUnda yeast actually, so I used 2 packs of it just to be sure it would fermented out.

In any case, this beer is good now.