Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Big

Too clear?

Hi everyone! My first batch of brew ever is in the LBK. Exciting! It's been nine days; the cloudiness has cleared, and it's been looking very clear for the past two days. Temperature has been 70-72 degrees on the meat thermometer I keep next to the LBK. There are a few small "bubble islands" on top of the brew.

From what I read here, if the brew is too clear when bottled, it won't carbonate properly, because clarity = no yeast. I don't have a hydrometer. What should I do? Blindly follow the directions, and wait the prescribed two weeks? Or bottle now?

I'm not sure where you read clarity=no yeast.

Yeast are microscopic and even clear beer has TONs of yeast floating around inside.

I'd suggest using the 3-4 method a lot of us use.

Let your beer ferment in the LBK for 3 weeks. Then bottle and let sit at room temp for 4 weeks before popping one in the fridge for a day or 2 and enjoy! :)

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

OK, thanks! BTW, why do the big Mr.Beer instruction sheet and the video say ferment for two weeks?

The MB instructions are really there for marketing purposes.

HAVE BEER IN 14 DAYS! It's a great tag line BUT will it be beer you'll love..probably not.

By giving it 3 weeks in the LBK it allows the yeast to clean up after themselves some.

By giving the bottles 4 weeks to condition at room temps it allows them all to carbonate evenly and fully and allows the flavors to mingle.

It also allows any off flavors work themselves out. :)

There's likely nothing wrong with 14 days for a basic refill, but most people recommend 21 days if you don't have a hydrometer just to be certain. If you have a hydrometer, it's a lot easier to know when to bottle.

+1 to getting a hydrometer. My first batch I fermented for 3 weeks cause I didn't have a hydrometer. My second batch will be bottled Saturday and its only been 2 weeks for that batch but hydrometer shows its done it can finish cleaning in the bottles.

So...(sniff, sniff, teary eyes, pouty lip, whiny voice...) my yeast aren't dead?

Related question: I swear I read on here that someone felt he or she was getting off flavors after letting it ferment too long. Will those condition out, if in fact true?

While it is possible to get off-flavors from having the beer on the yeast cake too long, but 3 weeks is not too long, IMHO. People like Palmer and Jamil have stated that the advancement in yeast these days lead us to not have that concern in the first month at least.

Guest System Admin

"Big" post=329441 said:

So...(sniff, sniff, teary eyes, pouty lip, whiny voice...) my yeast aren't dead?

Related question: I swear I read on here that someone felt he or she was getting off flavors after letting it ferment too long. Will those condition out, if in fact true?

Quite simply they were wrong. You can leave a brew fermenting for io to four weeks...no problem.

I let all my beer ferment three weeks. I'm on a rotation with 2 LBKs and a 5-gallon carboy. Bottle and brew every weekend.

Even if a batch had reached FG after two weeks, letting it sit another week won't hurt anything. It's my opinion that it helps clean things up before bottling. Yes, you can let it do that in the bottle, I suppose, but I have the luxury of a well-stocked pipeline, so I'm in no hurry to get another batch in drinking shape.

There's no finish line, y'know.

"Big" post=329409 said:

From what I read here, if the brew is too clear when bottled, it won't carbonate properly, because clarity = no yeast. I don't have a hydrometer. What should I do? Blindly follow the directions, and wait the prescribed two weeks? Or bottle now?

Look at a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, they're naturally carbonated at bottling using 1 million cells of yeast per milliliter per 12 ounce bottle. Their beer is very clear with hardly a hint of trub at the bottom of the bottle and well carbonated too. Sierra Nevada centrifuges their beer and filters it removing all the yeast from the beer prior to bottling but then they add back fresh yeast to naturally carbonate their beer. As the others pointed out you don't need to see the cells to have enough for carbonating your beer.

I'm going to dog pile on here. Clear doesn't equate to no yeast.

Here's a picture of my kolsch sample with crappy lighting so it's grainy, but I have no concerns that it will carb up:

20130128172931.jpg

Stupid kolsch... And me not making it to the brew store to get the kolsch grain...

"swenocha" post=329805 said:

Stupid kolsch... And me not making it to the brew store to get the kolsch grain...

Haha. I think Swen just got Swen'd!

:P

"Knightmare" post=329810 said:

Haha. I think Swen just got Swen'd!

:dry: :lol::lol: :woohoo: :whistle: