Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jameskb

Coopers Carbonation Drops

I'm about to bottle a batch and I'm wanting to use Coopers Carbonation Drops. I'm using the 1 liter/quart bottles that came with my MB kit.

The dosage rate on the "Drops" bag say 1 per 375ml bottle and 2 per 750ml bottle. So the question is: How many drops to use with the standard PET bottles that come with the MB kit? I sure don't want any bottle bombs, but I don't want any under carbonated beer either. :unsure::unsure:

I sure hope someone is on the forum tonight as I do indeed want to bottle this evening.

Have a good day.
--
JamesKB

Good luck with them, never used them, have not heard much good about them.

Thanks for the reply. What bothers me is 1 litter is 1000 ml. The bag says to use 2 drops for 750 ml bottles and 1 drop for 375 ml bottles. So if I use 2 drops it wont be enough..... however if I use 3 drops it will be too much. :(

Anyone else have any ideas??

I've used them a few times with good results. I put in 1 per 12 oz bottle and 3 per Liter bottle.

I've used them in about half my batches and they work fine but are pricey in my opinion. I now use domino sugar dots with great success.

Priming rates for Coopers carb drops were 1 per 12 oz bottle, 2 per half liter bottles and 4 for 1 liter bottles.

Priming rates for domino's dots are the same numbers of cubes as the carb drops.

Can't help you out with your question directly but I have one for you. Please let me know how your beer turns out with the carbonation drops. The last two batches that I did with these (12 oz bottles) came out flat. I wasn't sure if it was the style of beer or the drops.

I used them until I ran out. I used 2 per 1 liter bottle but that wasn't enough as I had little carbonation. 1 per 12 oz bottle works great.

With that in mind I would use 3 if it were me. I don't think there's enough of a difference in sugar from 2 to 3 drops to make bottle bombs but I'm still new at this.

HiYa shewdawg,

I went ahead and use sugar this time. The next batch I bottle I'm gonna use the drops in 2 or 3 bottles and see how it compares to the rest of the bottles that I will use sugar in. I'll keep you informed. :stout:

"jameskb" post=331189 said:

HiYa shewdawg,

I went ahead and use sugar this time. The next batch I bottle I'm gonna use the drops in 2 or 3 bottles and see how it compares to the rest of the bottles that I will use sugar in. I'll keep you informed. :stout:

Good idea to test it out on a few. Nobody want to experiment on whole batch right? :)

I have used Copper Tun carb drops.
They have worked great for us. And very consistant carbination.

Jameskb - thanks. Don't know if it was me or not. Sounds like others have had luck with the drops. Let me know and I may go back to them at some point. I don't think that sugar expires but these were on sale at my LHBS?
Shewdawg

my first brew was a modified west coast pale ale that i used 1 liter PET bottles. i put 3 coopers carb drops per bottle. they came out great.

the nice thing about the plastic PET bottles is the likelihood of a bottle bomb is minimal. if you feel the bottle and it is rock hard... and you are really worried about over carbing... you can unscrew the cap just enough to bleed out some gas. the little bit of extra sugar in a 1000 ml bottle isnt really that much.

Bottled a batch of Santa Catalina Pale Ale (1 ltr Pet) on 26 Feb. I used 3 Cooper's Carb Drops per bottle. I'm gonna try the 2-2-2 thing for this batch. Two weeks in the LBK, 2-weeks room conditioning, 2-weeks in the fridge. We'll see how it goes.

"shewdawg" post=330487 said:

Can't help you out with your question directly but I have one for you. Please let me know how your beer turns out with the carbonation drops. The last two batches that I did with these (12 oz bottles) came out flat. I wasn't sure if it was the style of beer or the drops.

Same here. Not at all satisfied with the outcome.

I decided to use Coopers Carbonation Drops on my most recent brew in order to get more consistent results. I will report on my experience in a few weeks (I only bottled last, and it's a stout so I suspect that it'll be more like 6 weeks rather than the usual 4 for carb/conditioning).

"jameskb" post=345741 said:

Bottled a batch of Santa Catalina Pale Ale (1 ltr Pet) on 26 Feb. I used 3 Cooper's Carb Drops per bottle. I'm gonna try the 2-2-2 thing for this batch. Two weeks in the LBK, 2-weeks room conditioning, 2-weeks in the fridge. We'll see how it goes.

3-2-2 is actually 3 weeks in LBK, 2 weeks carbing, 2 weeks ROOM temp conditioning. Many on here have changed it to 3-4, combining the last 2 "steps" as they aren't actually separate actions on your part and it's misleading. After the 4 weeks, then you can put them in the fridge for a few days to make the yeast go dormant and the trub settle out.

For you guys who have used the carbonation drops, how long did it take for the bottles to firm?

I just ordered the drops, my next 2 batches I will use this. The instructions say 2 and 1/2 drops per 1 litter bottle.

I have used carbonation tablets they work just fine.

It might be a pain cutting the drops for the half drop you need. I bottled my October fest with white sugar and noticed carbonation within 24 hrs. I used the carbonation drops for my coopers lager Saturday and noticed its a slower carbing process.