Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stewrobe1

Taste of 1st batch?

I am a little late on asking the question, cracked a bottle at 2 weeks to get an idea of the "taste". Brewed the Classic American Light. Can't say it tasted like a Coors or Bud Light. It kind of had a bite to it. An old buddy of mine agreed it had a bite, but he's had worse home brews before. Anyway, I am hopeful that the 4 week mark will give it time to settle into something more like the light beers I am used to.

Ya, a couple of more weeks will make a difference. The Classic American Light will have more flavor than Coors Light, but the standard refill is pretty thin. The next time I make it, I'll most likely add 1/2 lb. DME. It makes for a good brew when summer temperature exceed 100 degrees. I find that this brew is best served COLD.

Yeah, I did an early test of my first batch (also CAL) last night, at the 15 day mark. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, expecting a Coors Light type, but happy to get something much better/less light. It had a sweet/slightly cidery aftertaste to it, which I'm guessing (hoping) will go away after another 2 weeks, but it was nothing too bothersome.

I refrigerated it overnight, then stuck it in the freezer for about 15/20 minutes prior to opening. Very good that way, nice and cold, good head on it too.

Want to say thanks to Mr. Beer and also to the posters here that have given advice along the way.

Guest System Admin

"stewrobe1" post=332076 said:

I am a little late on asking the question, cracked a bottle at 2 weeks to get an idea of the "taste". Brewed the Classic American Light. Can't say it tasted like a Coors or Bud Light. It kind of had a bite to it. An old buddy of mine agreed it had a bite, but he's had worse home brews before. Anyway, I am hopeful that the 4 week mark will give it time to settle into something more like the light beers I am used to.

Bite?

Like Sour? Like Vinegar? Like Sweet? Like Cider? Like what?

probably should have mentioned that it had little to no head.

maybe more like cider. I didn't think sweet and god no it wasn't vinegar.

Does it make a difference if it is sweet, sour, vinegar or cider?

Help!

Guest System Admin

Green Beer Syndrome......let it sit for another 2 weeks.

From Palmer:

Acetaldehyde: A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.

Wings is right. It's just green beer.

Step away from the brew and let it condition a little more. You'd be surprised at how much difference just seven days can make.