Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
yankfan9

Starting to Brainstorm

So my first BIAB is coming up in a few weeks and for it I would like to do an IPA. The IPA's I like don't have an over powering bitterness :sick: they have more of a smooth hop flavor but its definitely there. I like Bell's two Hearted, and Founders Centennial IPA to name a few. I also have had one with Citra hops in it and damn was it good. Luckily I have an oz. of Citra so I will definitely be using those. The other hops I have on hand are 1 oz. Columbus, 1 oz. Summit, 1 oz. Amarillo, 1/2 oz. Willamette, and 1/2 oz. Fuggles. Would any use of these other hops in it work well? Or should I buy other hops to go with the Citra? Maybe Centennial since I like those a lot too. What say the Borg?

I have time to mull this over so any suggestions are welcome, also suggestions for the malts to use as I will be a new All-Grain Brewer :laugh:

I recently made an IPA using just Citra hops. It's still conditioning so I won't know for a few more weeks how it came out. Smelled great tho!

I'd suggest the Amarillo as they both have somewhat fruity aromas. Good luck! :)

My last IPA has a lot of good hop character and no bitterness at all. I used a technique called hop bursting. I didn't add any hops at all until the last 15 minutes of the boil I think...I will paste the recipe here so you can have a look.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ralph's Wag Your Tail Pale Ale
Brewer: Roger
Asst Brewer: Ralph the Wonderdog
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.5 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 16.3 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
1.00 oz Cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 16.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 13.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 19.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 10.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 4.0 oz

Alright Cleveland, I've never used Amarillo but will incorporate then in this. And awesome Gymrat thanks. I think I will do that Hop Bursting because that is exactly what I want, the hop character more than the bitterness.

My LHBS just got falconers flight hops in. Has anyone ever used these? They sound delicious, and sound like they would work well with the citra hops as they say they lend fruity notes as well.

Have you considered FWH,short for first wort hopping, yank?
Myself, like you, don't appreciate the over the top bitterness of some IPA's!
I've been doing this with almost all my brews since October and I find the bitterness is not as nearly in your face as with a 60 min, or longer, boil!
Smoother and lighter!
I've recently started to experiment with a form of hop bursting also.
Did it with a Sorachi Ace SMaSH that is very drinkable, with just a small bit of bitterness on the back end!

Good luck! :cheers:

"yankfan9" post=336375 said:

My LHBS just got falconers flight hops in. Has anyone ever used these? They sound delicious, and sound like they would work well with the citra hops as they say they lend fruity notes as well.

I recently made an IPA with the Falconer's flight and loved it. They will work well with the Citra. They are now one of my favorite aroma and flavor hops. They have a fruity, grapefruity aroma and flavor similar to the C hops like citra.

Yes I forgot to mention in this thread that I was planning on doing FWH as well, as I have only read good reviews about it, yours being another positive one!