Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
robames1

Black Tower Porter Enhancements- opinions ?

I am making a batch of Black Tower Porter. I am going to add coffee at bottling time.

My plan is to brew some Kona Coffee, chill it and add an ounce to each 12oz bottle.

I was thinking of splitting the batch and making a Dunkin Donuts Pumpkin Coffee and adding that to half the bottles instead of the Kona Coffee.

Do you think the taste of the Pumpkin will come out in the finished beer? I was going to add an ounce.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

This is some really bitter stuff. I highly recommend you balance that bitterness out with a pound of DME or UME. Beyond that the coffee idea sounds great.

I've got this to do at some point even though I'll probably leave out the coffee. Gymrat, what DME do you recommend (light, amber, dark)?

Thanks for the feedback. The Beer is fermenting already, I was going to add at bottling time. So less coffee?

I've put as much as a shot (1.5 oz.) per 12 oz. bottle with the old stout HME and it had a pretty strong coffee taste that did eventually mellow out over time. If I were to make another coffee stout/porter again I would probably cut back to just an ounce per bottle but even that might still be too much coffee for some. An ounce per bottle and you will definitely taste it, it depends how much coffee you're willing to tolerate in your beer.