Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stewrobe1

firmness of bottle

This Saturday will be week 4 in the plastic bottles. All but one are firm, the one still has quite a bit of give to it. Not too worried, yet. Second batch went into glass bottles. Had to drink a lot of SA in order to get those bottles. It was the patriot lager, plan on waiting 4 weeks, hope they will be ready. Any advice out there? As I won't be able to check the "firmness" of these bottles, if you know what I mean.

Let the glass bottles sit at least 4 weeks at room temps. They will carb and condition. If the first batch has been there four weeks next Saturday, you can start putting some of those into the fridge for a couple of days to cold crash. They you will be able to drink some of you first home brews!

both sets of bottles are in coolers in the corner of the dining room near the center of the house. My wife found a picture of bottles that have exploded, so to keep mama happy in they went. Don't think this is a big deal. Is it?

No, but one never knows when a bottle bomb will go off. It won't hurt to have them in coolers as long as you are not actually chilling them. You want them to carb and condition at room temps. Putting them in garbage bags are another way of protecting the home from bottle bombs.

+1 . I got two plastic file boxes that hold at least a batch each. They go in there for 3 weeks, then out for the next batch. SWMBO would be very displeased with beer all over her pantry...

I just sampled one of my Patriot Lagers last night. Its been in the bottle for 3 weeks now. It tasted really good but it needs that extra week. It was carbed well enough but it still tastes a wee bit green. I have brewed over 60 batches and I still like to sneak a taste at week 3 just to guage how the beer is progressing. One can usually get a good idea of the overall quality of the beer after 3 weeks even if its still slightly undercarbed or green.