Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beer-lord

Use a hop sack or not?

Today's brew has 10 oz of hops in the boil (plus 3 dry hopped planned) and I've never used a hop sack for boils but I'm worried that even with a strainer, it'll be too much. So, I was thinking of using a large hopsack to put in the first half (at least).
I've read that tight and small sacks can cause loss of hop utilization and am fearful to do this. My hope is that the 30 and 20 minute additions (4 oz total) if I used the sack, the boil will be vigorous enough and then I can drop the last 6 oz in without a sack making sure that enough of the oils are released for the flavor and aroma I'm looking for.
What say the borg?

I would use a paint strainer bag. You are right that many hops will keep clogging the strainer. If you don't mind scooping hops out while transfering to your fermenter that would be ok. I didn't use either on my first IPA. This is what the fermenter looked like after racking to my bottling bucket.

IMAG0199.jpg

I had to stop, clean, and sanitize my bottling wand several times. And then I had a few beers with chunks of hops in them.

What about using a hop spider with a large or medium size bag? that way you can still get the free floating action for the hops and still be able to contain them and get them out easily.

I'll have to make a hop spider but since I rarely use more than 5 oz in my beers, I've never gave it much thought.
The bag I have to use is huge so it should be ok and I'll stir it often to make sure it get dispersed.

I always use hop sacs, hate green floaties clogging everything up.

I think it was Tabasco that posted a picture of him using a wire coat hanger to suspend a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I did it that way last weekend, worked great.

The most I've used in a 5-gallon recipe is ~5oz of hops but I still didn't use a hop sack. I did at first (when I started brewing) but I've long ago stop using them just opting for a good cold break to help settle them in the kettle.

After that, a solid 2 - 3 weeks fermenting plus a cold crash helps to keep siphoning really clear.

It's just a matter of choice mind you, but I like to just toss 'em in.