Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Domgish

is it done??

I just took a peek at my brew today and I don't really notice any more bubbles at the top but I do see the sediment at the bottom. I only question whether it is finished because it hasn't even been a full week in the keg yet. Temperature has been constant and hasn't been over 72 degrees. Was my yeast just taking a break? Do I need to be concerned? Should I taste it to see? Need help!

how many days in the LBK?? Even if you do not see any sign of active fermentation does not mean that activity has stopped. The little yeasties are in there doing their thing for you makin' beer so go the 21 days

Guest System Admin

I only question whether it is finished because it hasn't even been a full week in the keg yet.

Walk away and let it be for 21 days - that's three weeks. You are 1/3 of the way done.

+1 to everything said.

The only way I would go less than 3 weeks is if 3 days in a row a hydro sample showed the same gravity. But I may still let it go for the full 3 weeks anyway.

Its a good time to collect free bottles and try some different styles of beer that you may like.

"11xray" post=335214 said:

So 3 weeks? not the recommended 2 weeks.

Yup...you will get a much better product!!

2 weeks works but you get a clearer beer with 3 weeks. Its a preference thing that most here have found that the extra week makes a cleaner beer.

On the same note heavier beers with a higher OG of 1.050 and greater really need the extra week in the fermenter and extra time in the bottles. So its just a choice and patience thing.

patience is the key.....my first batch I did 2, 2 and 2 weeks but it came somewhat flat. Im letting it sit at room temp now hoping for it to get better. crossing my finger

Welcome to the BORG :borg: domgish!
Patience is the hardest part of the obsession!
Hands and eyes off the LBK! LOL!!
If you can, order another kit and get another batch going to bide your time, or go to the local store and get you some bottles with free beer in them! Pry off caps of course!

Good luck with the brew and visit here often!

:cheers:

A good rule of thumb is 3 weeks in the keg between 66-68 degrees. Then bottle it and let it in the dark for 4 weeks at 70 degrees. Then toss some in the fridge for a few days and enjoy. You can take short cuts and rush the process but the only thing you'll get is disappointment.

"Boe1971" post=335262 said:

A good rule of thumb is 3 weeks in the keg between 66-68 degrees. Then bottle it and let it in the dark for 4 weeks at 70 degrees. Then toss some in the fridge for a few days and enjoy. You can take short cuts and rush the process but the only thing you'll get is disappointment.

+100