Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cleveland013

Recipe Collaboration 2013 Stories!

Hey guys I think it would be cool to share our 2013 Recipe Collaboration stories.

(Thanks again Dave for putting it together this year!)

We can discuss what the pairs have come up with, styles, clones, original recipes, etc.

Touch base on new techniques and processes we've tried.

And once the beers have done their time in their LBKs we of course can share how they TASTE! :gulp: :banana: :banana:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Brewin Bull and I are trying our hands at a Red Ale.

I've never done one before and it sounded like a great idea!

We bounced a recipe back and forth and settled on something we both like and feel we can do well.

It involves using no MB ingredients instead were using 2 different types of DME.

We're also steeping some different Crystals and Carapils. A first for both of us. :)

We're doing our own hops boil with both Amarillo and Cascade hops.

Over all we're both really excited about it and I think we are both planning on getting this one in the LBK sometime next month.

What are you guys working on? :cheers:

Gizmo and I have decided on a tangerine hefeweizen. He's likely doing it all grain while I'm gonna try it as a partial mash and can compare each others finished products. Its taking shape pretty well and am hoping it turns out great!

looks like russki and I are settling on a Belgian Blonde in prep for a nice summer brew!! no recipe yet as I was a bit late to the table LOL. looks like we might try and run the recipe as a full mash (russki) and partial mash (me) then compare to see how close we can get to each other. russki came up with that idea and i really want to see how much of a difference there is.

Trollby and I have decided on a honey maibock. he was working on the recipe and it fell in line with what i was hoping to make for this time of year. we'd be well on our way if my freakin job didnt always get in the way. It will be my first AG and lager so Im nervous yet excited. Im glad he knows what hes doing and I can follow along with this style and technique. Its going to be a nice spring/summer beer.

I am pretty excited working with Cleveland013. We are trying something we can both learn a lot on and have a bit of a challenge. :chug:

It looks like Oly and I will be going with an ESB.

Neither of us has ever done the style, but we're excited about it. Doing some research before finalizing the recipe.

This will be my first forray into AG brewing, likely using a method similar to Russki's electric deep fryer BIAB, so I'm excited about that too. Oly has been helpful and supportive of my inexperience so far...we'll see how long it lasts!! lol.

Guest System Admin

RayLue and I have decided to take a shot a brewing something similar to an Irish Red.

Thus far, it looks like we will be utilizing one of the Mr. Beer Refills, some DME and attempting a hops boil. We are still bouncing ideas off of one another, so the recipe is not quite done yet.

This should be fun! Can't wait until we finalize the recipe and get to brewing!

khawk95 and I are going to brew up an amber ale from scratch. It will be his first time doing a hops boil, and my first time creating a completely-from-scratch recipe. I'm feeling all mad scientisty. B)

I can't wait to get started with my brew! :gulp:

"philm00x" post=335618 said:

Gizmo and I have decided on a tangerine hefeweizen.

This sounds freakin' awesome. Keep us posted.

BradyFumbled and I have nailed down our German Pilsner. This will be the first time either one of us has done a lager. Our recipes are not exactly the same, the hop schedules are slightly different and we will be using different yeasts. So when we are finished, we are going to exchange a bottle so we can each compare them side by side.

KokomoSam and I are collaborating on an all grain Victory Yakima Glory replica, he's actually plugged the ingredients into qBrew already and it's looking like a very tasty beer.

RedSknU2 have finally have decided on to making a Vanilla Coffee Porter (Okay maybe not a regulation Porter), out of DME and a few hop boils .

Can't Wait to get our recipe into a LBK :banana:

~worm

Since I bowed out due to an odd number of entrants, FrozenInTime and Beer-lord felt sorry for me and lowered their standards to include me in their efforts. :laugh:

We've emailed back and forth, and it looks like we're going to do a stout. We haven't nailed down the recipe yet, but I suggested we stick to a base recipe and then individualize it with our own choice of addition. FiT likes licorice, so he may add some anise to his. I prefer a milk stout, and may go in that direction, and, IIRC, Beer-lord sort of favors the idea of more oatmeal in his, going for a breakfast stout.

If this is what we decide, I think it's a cool idea, and just goes to show how versatile beer is; three completely different stouts by changing one ingredient in the same recipe! :stout:

"evily" post=336102 said:

I'm feeling all mad scientisty. B)

Uh-oh. We're gonna have an Evily Mad Scientist on our hands. You plan on taking over the world? Have you been working on your diabolical laughter? Are you going to contact the UN and demand "One milllllion dollars", and then hold your pinky up to the corner of your mouth?

If so, can I be on your team?

Joechianti and I decided that its time for me to learn BIAB especially since I will have someone at a phone call's reach during the entire process.

Based on a suggestion previously by Fedora Dave we are going to find a base recipe and add one style of hops to it and then maybe brew it again with a different hop so that you can taste the difference your hops makes in a beer.

I am really excited to try this and try to BIAB for the first time.

Thanks again for setting this up!

"FedoraDave" post=336982 said:

Since I bowed out due to an odd number of entrants, FrozenInTime and Beer-lord felt sorry for me and lowered their standards to include me in their efforts. :laugh:

We've emailed back and forth, and it looks like we're going to do a stout. We haven't nailed down the recipe yet, but I suggested we stick to a base recipe and then individualize it with our own choice of addition. FiT likes licorice, so he may add some anise to his. I prefer a milk stout, and may go in that direction, and, IIRC, Beer-lord sort of favors the idea of more oatmeal in his, going for a breakfast stout.

If this is what we decide, I think it's a cool idea, and just goes to show how versatile beer is; three completely different stouts by changing one ingredient in the same recipe! :stout:

Not sure about you lowering me as I see if the other way around.......I am bowing before the Great Hat!

Seriously, you're 100% correct, this is the part that makes a great idea (collaboration) and even better one (changing the recipes a bit for each brewer).
The borg should open a brewery and each week, a different member gets to brew their beer in a size enough for every other member to try. Wouldn't be cheap but it would be fun.
So, if I ever win the lottery, we're all buying a brewery! :borg:

"FedoraDave" post=336983 said:

Uh-oh. We're gonna have an Evily Mad Scientist on our hands. You plan on taking over the world? Have you been working on your diabolical laughter? Are you going to contact the UN and demand "One milllllion dollars", and then hold your pinky up to the corner of your mouth?

You can be on my team... for ONE MILLION DOLLARS. *holds pinky up to corner of mouth*

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :evil:

(There, how'd I do??? Diabolical enough? :laugh:)

"evily" post=338018 said:

"FedoraDave" post=336983 said:

You can be on my team... for ONE MILLION DOLLARS. *holds pinky up to corner of mouth*

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :evil:

(There, how'd I do??? Diabolical enough? :laugh:)

Well, it struck terror in MY heart! :blink: