Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
fizgig

Mr. Beer leaking/not sealing

After my first batch my Mr. Beer did not leak at all, after the second, I noticed some stickiness on the bottom of the tray I had it on. After I cleaned it and was letting it soak, I noticed it leaking around the spigot where the whole in the Mr. Beer is. I cannot get it to seal no matter how tight/loose I screw it, the gasket has a bit of a crease in it. Any tips? Are you supposed to buy a new gasket every few batches?

Is the gasket on the outside of the lbk (spigot side) or on the inside of lbk with the nut?

When you clean and sanitized the lbk for the 2nd batch did you remove the spigot, gasket, and nut to clean it thoroughly as well?

Possible problem may be a slight crack in the spigot and you might need to contact MB customer service to see if it is the 1st generation spigot (which had structural problem) or the newer improved generation

Right. And is the gasket facing the right way? When you tighten it, tighten it snug, then rotate 90 degrees more (i.e. a quarter turn).

I'd remove everything (assuming you don't have a brew in it), then reassemble. Make sure the gasket is facing the right way, i.e. the flat side against the spigot, the smaller side against the LBK, on the outside as T8r Salad noted.

Guest System Admin

I guess I am spoiled since I bought several of the "OLD" locking spigots which came with TWO gaskets one for each side.

I wish they had both types still available

I am having the same problem with leaking around the spigot. I plastered around the spigot with gorilla tape and now it looks like it has stopped leaking. It was leaking pretty bad, the liquid level in the LBK dropped about 1/2" from where I originally filled it.

It's facing the correct way yes. I filled the whole keg with warm water and PBW according to the directions on the PBW, and then I broke it down and cleaned everything afterward. I just got this for Xmas from my mother in law so I'm assuming it's not an older model (or a regift). Other than the small crease, everything looks normal.

I would use the Live Chat on the Mr. Beer site when they open and they'll probably send you a new gasket no questions asked.

Was the crease there to begin with or when you tightened it after cleaning? You may have slightly over-tightened it for this 2nd batch, creasing the gasket and thus, the leak. Agree with RickBeer, live chat is a great option to use for most anything dealing with MB customer service and their products. They are great to work with and very knowledgable of refills & recipes and hardware.

Another tip is to make sure the hole in the keg has a smooth edge. My kegs have had small burs. Going around the hole with an emery board easily smoothed it. A fine file would work too.

"Foothiller" post=335596 said:

Another tip is to make sure the hole in the keg has a smooth edge. My kegs have had small burs. Going around the hole with an emery board easily smoothed it. A fine file would work too.

+1.

On both of my LBK's, I sanded down the little seam (from the molding process) on the outside where the gasket sits. Just a gentle rub with fine grit sandpaper does the trick to smooth that out.

No leaky.

I noticed the crease after the first batch, I'm guessing the second batch leaked but trub/gunk/hops stopped it up, I used a kit from homebrewers.com a friend bought me for that one.

I'm on chat now.

Is calling the rubber washer a gasket wrong? I called it a gasket and they didn't know what I was talking about, when we got that sorted, they then told me to email support for a new one.

"fizgig" post=335620 said:

Is calling the rubber washer a gasket wrong? I called it a gasket and they didn't know what I was talking about, when we got that sorted, they then told me to email support for a new one.

nah, i knew what you meant.

"fizgig" post=335620 said:

To me a gasket is something that blows when I get mad or angry (haven't blown a gasket in over 10 years - no jokes people)

A rubber washer is something I use to wash my r-----s in...so I don't understand what the confusion is on their part!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

They're sending me a new one.

Are PBW or One Step bad for these things? I let mine soak.

"Foothiller" post=335596 said:

Great idea thanks for the tip, never thought of that.

I had the same problem and the same crease in the gasket after my first batch. I didn't realize the first batch had leaked as the wort dried in it after a few drops and stopped it. I sure noticed it when I let the LBK soak overnight with Oxiclean in it. Contacted customer service, they sent out a new LBK. It also leaked. Like others have said, I took a bit of fine grit sand paper (220 or 280, I forget which) and sanded down the seam on the outside. I used a backing block with the sandpaper to make sure I sanded evenly. Put the spigot back in, with the same creased gasket, and filled it right to the top with water. Not a single drop leaked out of it for three days. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the seam being the cause not the gasket.

Guest System Admin

My gaskets always have that crease around them. I have a lot of them so I rotate them and grab one that's been sitting for a while and the crease has kind of "re-inflated".

It won;t hurt to sand the edges of the OUTSIDE of the LBK.

"fizgig" post=335696 said:

Here's the bad ring, took a pic at lunch at the support person's request.

That looks like a peppermint lifesaver. Maybe it started dissolving.

I always have trouble with my beer leaking out...

Seems the more I consume, the more I have to leak! :laugh:

... Oh, what's that? You're talking about your spigot washer? :huh:

Er... Never mind... :blush:

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

B)

That crease looks like it isnt centered in the hole. Was it fully threaded on the spout? I'm thinking if it's at an angle on the threads it would make an off center crease.

I had the same problem with 2 of my kegs. You didn't do anything wrong. I called customer service. And told them about my problem. Also told them that the gasket seemed hard almost like plastic.

They immediately sent me 3 new ones to replace all of mine. She said that they would send the older style gasket. As it was a softer rubber.

Worked like a charm. No leaks since.

"BrewThrough" post=335827 said:

That crease looks like it isnt centered in the hole. Was it fully threaded on the spout? I'm thinking if it's at an angle on the threads it would make an off center crease.

You mean a "cross" thread? Might be a thought, it would feel like the nut was tight way before it really was.

"Trollby" post=335567 said:

I guess I am spoiled since I bought several of the "OLD" locking spigots which came with TWO gaskets one for each side.

I wish they had both types still available

I have 4 old locking spigots, and because of this have not yet tried the new ones that came with the new LBKs.

But I actually only use the outside gasket, and keep the others as spares. The inside "nut" has a built in "washer" that seems to seal just fine on it's own for me in all my LBKs. Maybe I'm just lucky?

"mashani" post=335991 said:

...But I actually only use the outside gasket, and keep the others as spares....

+1. I also use only one washer on the outside of the LBKs, and I have never had a leak of any kind.