Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gbryant

#31 Experimental Pale Ale

#31 Exp. Pale Ale:

Brewed 2-12-2013

Ingredients:

Farmhouse brewing had some new experimental hops on sale and one of them sounded interesting enough to try. So I ordered 4 oz and plan to use all four ounces in a single hopped pale ale. The description is dill, jolly rancher, passion fruit, cocoa coconut, stone fruit, peach and vanilla. It is listed as EXP 6300

IMAG0371_zps4acbe6e0.jpg

Two pounds of rye malt
Three pounds of marris otter malt
4 oz. crystal 10L
4 oz. crystal 20L
4 oz EXP 6300 hops 14.6 AAU (.01 ounces at 60 minutes, .25 ounces at 20, .25 ounces at 15, .25 ounces at 10, .25 ounces at 5 and I threw in a pellet or two every couple of minutes for the last twenty minutes of the boil. I also added .25 ounces at flame out and will add about another ounce after two weeks in LBK and then use the rest to make a hop tea to add at bottling/kegging time.)
US-05 American ale yeast

IMAG0370_zpsc5a85bae.jpg

The Mash:

Due to some possibly chlorine type off flavors I have noticed in my lagers, I used just over 3.5 gallons of spring water for my beer this batch.

IMAG0369_zps21d51443.jpg

I brought the water to a strike temperature of 154 degrees and then added the grains. The temperature dropped to a mash in temperature of 150 degrees. I intended a ninety minute mash but due to an emergency had to leave the mash at home alone for two and a half hours. The temperature had dropped to 138 degrees. I was shooting for a highly fermentable wort anyway so hopefully no significant damage was done. When I got home from the emergency, I added heat back to the wort and brought it to a mash out temp of 166 degrees and then dunked, drained and squeezed the grains into the wort.

The Boil:

Brought the wort to a boil and added the first hop addition. I then added the hops as outlined above. The hops had a great smell fruity and kind of earthy with a hint of spice. I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this translates to the beer. I chilled the wort and pitched the yeast at 80 degrees. Then put LBK in fermentation fridge at 64 degrees. In about two weeks, I will add another ounce of the hops and then add a hop tea at bottling time.

The Original gravity came in at 1.050.

IMAG0372_zps4c1772fb.jpg

Wort Sample:

I took a sample of the wort from my hydrometer reading and it is good. It was hard to taste the hops over the malty sweetness but once that ferments out I think this is going to be an awesome pale ale. The hops definitely have a peach flavor and are very fruity. Maybe it was the malt sweetness but I could see the jolly rancher candy like flavor too.

IMAG03751_zpsb54e7102.jpg

"gbryant" post=335859 said:

#31 Exp. Pale Ale:
The description is dill, jolly rancher, passion fruit, cocoa coconut, stone fruit, peach and vanilla. It is listed as EXP 6300

This is a hell of a combination of flavors in 1 hop! Would love to try that beer when you were done. ;)

Really love to hear how this turns out. Was curious of the taste and aroma from that particular hop. It sounded so good!

All those flavors in the hop description sound pretty good....except the dill :sick: Wonder if you will be able to pick that out. Gonna make for an interesting flavor. Keep us posted!!

2-27-2013: Added one ounce of the hops to the LBK tonight as a dry hop addition commando. Will hopefully bottle sometime next week.

I also took a sample of it a few nights ago.

31palealesample_zps839ccd38.jpg

It was quite refreshing and delightful. I could definitely taste the peach from the hops. I am excited to see how this one turns out.