Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bigbuckflogger

Cheapest way to brew with Mr. Beer equip.

Has anybody came up with a cheap way to brew with Mr. Beer equipment? The kits are kinda pricey for a case of beer. I figure someone has came up with a recipe or two using malt and hops and/or grains that can be bought in bulk alot cheaper. Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Look in the basic recipe section alot of people make their own 2 gallon recipes. Just go the the Local Home Brew Store (lhbs) and get the ingredients and go. Just make sure you have the system down and sanitize well and no matter what you will have beer.

Welcome to the BORG :borg: bigbuckflogger! :charlie:
I have found the cheapest way is all grain! If you have two LBKs it's cheaper yet!
By doing all grain I can brew two cases for just a little more than a one case Mr Beer premium recipe! And by buying my supplies at my local home brew store, LHBS for short, I save on shipping too.
Good luck brewing and enjoy the obsession!

:cheers:

There are indeed less expensive ways to brew using your LBK to do 2.5 gallon batches.

If you are going to try to split a 5-gallon batch kit, get it with DME instead of LME. That way, you can split everything using a digital scale.

A 3.3 lb can of Briess LME costs $10. Add some steeping grains and hop it for a 2.4-2.5 gallon batch.

Lots of all grain BIAB (brew in a bag) folks do 2.5 gallon batches using a turkey fryer burner and pot.

If I were just making batches for my own personal consumption, LBK-size ones would be perfect. Since I have lots of thirsty friends and family, I've had to bump it up to 5G.

but if you go to larger boils with non MrB ingredients then you have the cost of buying more stuff....
Larger boil pot.
wort chiller

And with all grain,,,,even more stuff to buy.

teutonic terror wrote:

Welcome to the BORG bigbuckflogger!
I have found the cheapest way is all grain! If you have two LBKs it's cheaper yet!
By doing all grain I can brew two cases for just a little more than a one case Mr Beer premium recipe! And by buying my supplies at my local home brew store, LHBS for short, I save on shipping too.
Good luck brewing and enjoy the obsession!

That is the cheapest. If you buy your base grains & hops in bulk you save even more. I can do a 10 gallon batch of pils or a pale ale for $28. I do not include the price of the equipment. As you upgrade get a kettle much larger than what you think you need. When I start brewing I really thought I would stay with the stock MR B kits, fun & easy. I should have known better that lasted 2 batches sort of. With the 2 LBKs you can experiment with different yeasts, fermenting temps etc. As I am sure you saw that 5 gallon kits are about the same price.

"BigFloyd" post=336076 said:

If you are going to try to split a 5-gallon batch kit, get it with DME instead of LME. That way, you can split everything using a digital scale.

Another benefit of this method is that splitting LME is very messy. I can attest to that. Strings of LME all over your scale and containers, not to mention trying to get close to the right amount in each LBK. That's what I'm doing, driven by the ability to buy LME for $2.50 a pound bulk vs. DME at close to $5 a pound even on sale.

It's not fun to split LME.

Also DME's is something every brewer should have on hand. Making starters, priming, adjusting OG ETC. Very useful stuff. With DME you can brew any beer style you want, it is cost effective. Brews up lighter in color than LME, stores longer. You get the idea. I have brewed several fine pilsners with DME and a steep of Carapils, and a couple ounces of a good noble German of Cechz hops

[attachment=11201]graphics-beer-073810_2013-02-14.gif[/attachment][attachment=11201]graphics-beer-073810_2013-02-14.gif[/attachment]

Yes the Mr. Beer ingredients are expensive compared to the 5 gallon kits. Splitting one in to 2 Kegs would be the cheapest way with extracts which is where you and I are at at this time.

Check your private messages man I sent you a message.

Tim

I haven't crossed the bridge to all grain.. So I cannot comment on that.

If looking for cheap I'd say buy a 5 gallon coopers HME and split.. or Store half of it (someone mentions putting a few tablespoons of vodka on it and store in the fridge).

Up here there 18$

Split between a keg there 9.

:gulp:

~worm