Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
T8r Salad

Mr Beer's GREAT customer service

:cheers:

I asked Ms. BrewMaster Diane about the yeasts that come with the new MB refills & the extremely prompt response is:

The Gold sachet is the yeast meant for the craft series, and the silver is for the standard, there is also a white sachet included with the Bavarian Weissbier. The yeasts have been selected to go with each series as included, and will provide the best flavor and result for that series. Other than the white sachet which is a wheat yeast they can be interchanged and provide good results for the finished beers, the wheat would as well, but will have those esters you would normally associate with a wheat beer.

Thanks again MB Customer Care Dept. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

So the silver and gold are not the same, though they are interchangeable. I can accept that explanation, but someone once posted that they received a silver with the Craft Series (or maybe it was a gold with the standard). So what's up with that, I wonder?

Regardless, I have been using the gold for the Craft Series and the silver for the Standard refills - and I will continue to do so.

Maybe the only difference between the silver and gold is the amount of yeast? I've never even paid attention to the weight of either packet, just added it and let it go to work.

I'm not at home to verify but I believe I have a gold pack with the standard Aztec Mexican Creveza just not positive. Personally never even noticed a difference in the color of the packs. I just tossed it in when I got the temp to around 67-70F which is where I ferment at.

Nightman is correct. I recently bought two American packs - CAL and Patriot and two International packs - Aztec and Oktoberfest. The American has silver packs, the international has gold packs. There is no difference in weight. An earlier thread discussed this and Mr. Beer telling several people they were the same.

http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/8-new-brewers-and-faqs/298783-silver-and-gold-yeast?limit=20&start=20

As to what's under the Craft Series lid, and whether it's the same as either one of these...

In the old thread, Mr. Beer's CEO said he would have his yeast expert post clarifications and never did.

I've had gold yeast packs come with the standards.

I have opened both a gold and silver pack and found exactly the same yeast granules inside.

ONE TIME I opened a silver pack and it looked different. But just that one time. Why I dunno. It made beer. I guess you should watch out for this, but ???