Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ThrillBillyHill

Need help making 5 gallon fermenter

I recently picked up two 6.5 gallon buckets from a friend of mine. I would like to use these for a two stage fermenter. Anyone have an instructions how I can transform these buckets?

I've never done it, but I would imagine you just have to drill a hole in the lid that will fit the airlock bung...probably about 1" in diameter.

Fermenter complete!

To rack from one to the other...your two stage process...just use an autosiphon.

That said, make sure that the buckets are food grade. If you can't be 100% sure, don't use them.

First, many beers don't require a secondary fermentation. If you have 2 buckets, they should be fine for up to 4 weeks. And, you don't need a spigot, get an auto siphon and a bottle wand.
However, depending on what YOU want to do, parts for buckets are available at almost any LHBS or online brew supply house.

"haerbob3" post=336345 said:

plastic buckets are air permeable not the best thing for extended storage

+100 If you want a secondary get a glass 5 gallon carboy. Those 6.5 buckets have too much headroom, asking from trouble.

Thanks. Next week I am going to attempt to make a 5 gallon chocolate peanut butter stout using a partial grain malt extract. I have been pretty successful so far doing a partial grain malt extract with the Mr.Beer fermenter. I was only going to do 2 gallons but the company I ordered my PB2 from forgot to ship my order. They ended up doubling my order for their mistake.

"FrozenInTime" post=336349 said:

"haerbob3" post=336345 said:

plastic buckets are air permeable not the best thing for extended storage

+100 If you want a secondary get a glass 5 gallon carboy. Those 6.5 buckets have too much headroom, asking from trouble.

See...this is why you don't listen to the guy who says, "I've never done it before, but..." :woohoo: :think:

I do want to buy a carboy but right now my money is tight. I sell valves, tubing, pretty much anything used in a manufacturing process so I have access to pretty much anything I would need.

"ThrillBillyHill" post=336354 said:

Thanks. Next week I am going to attempt to make a 5 gallon chocolate peanut butter stout using a partial grain malt extract. I have been pretty successful so far doing a partial grain malt extract with the Mr.Beer fermenter. I was only going to do 2 gallons but the company I ordered my PB2 from forgot to ship my order. They ended up doubling my order for their mistake.

I did a PB Stout with a can of Mr Beer Stout, and a jar of PB2. After close to 4 months of conditioning, I really REALLY wish I would have thrown in another jar of PB2. 1 Jar for 2 gallons is hardly noticable.