Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
subhunter

Bottling Day Question

Good Afternoon BORG,

Guess I have a slight dilemma. I bottle my first beer (West Coast Pale Ale) a few short weeks ago and all of the TRUB was on the bottom of the LBK. I am now getting ready to bottle my Whispering Wheat and when I pulled out the LBK there was alot of TRUB on the bottom and on the sides of the LBK. How would I go about bottling without disturbing the TRUB and also prevent it from getting in the bottles (don't need a laxative in my beer).

Any assistance, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated *** I don't yet own one of the cool racking canes yet ***

There really isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent the trub from getting in the bottles. No matter what you do, since you are going to be naturally carbonating your beer there will be trub in the bottom. On thing you might try is cold crashing before you bottle. Stick the LBK in the fridge for a couple of days before you bottle your brew. This will allow any thing that is suspended in the beer to fall to the bottom and it will also help to compact the trub so that it doesn't get disturbed as easily. Beyond that I don't know what else you can do.

:cheers:

If you don't move it the trub should stay put or even slide down to the bottom until you get near the end.
You will end up with some trub in the last few bottles especially if you do like I do and tip the keg to get the most beer possible out.
If you pour it from the bottle to a glass, no laxative will be included if you're careful!
Good luck and enjoy!
Whispering Wheat is an excellent beer!

Usually the trub you're seeing on the sides is stuck to the lbk and won't get into the beer.

I wouldnt worry about trub in bottles either. When it sits a long time in the fridge, the yeast goes to the bottom and actually congeals to a rubbery consistency. It's easy not to pour that.

"subhunter" post=336701 said:

I don't yet own one of the cool racking canes yet ***

You don't need one to transfer from an LBK into a bottling bucket. A section of 3/8" food grade hose long enough to run from the spigot and rest in the bottom of the bucket is enough.

With a bottling bucket, piece of tubing and a spring-loaded bottling wand (all of which are cheap), you will be ready to batch prime and flow your beer into the bottom of each bottle.

Thank you all very much for the insight on how to tackle this minor challenge. I should've been able to figure a way to complete this task. Just read so much about avoiding trub, and I do realize no matter what there will be stuff still suspended in the beer until the beer is cold crashed or it starts its carb/cond phases. I just havent seen that amount and also where it was located on the wall.