Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewermike

MORE HME

You might want to download QBrew from www.screwybrewer.com, where you can put the ingredients in and see what you're going to get. Doubling a Mr. Beer standard refill would be much different than doubling a Mr. Beer Craft Series, which I don't think anyone would recommend. QBrew allows you to see the impact of your plan before you do it so you're not surprised at the outcome. Some of Mr. Beer's recipes include two cans of HME, often different types, to get the desired result. Can't think of any reason not to double a standard HME, but QBrew will let you see the result.

There could be benefit...but there could also be consequences. What is your goal here? Are you trying to increase alcohol? Do you want to add a little bit of "bite"? Are you after a certain flavor? What type of beer are you trying to make?

Rather then guess at the results, as Risk suggests, use QBrew to add or modify ingredients; allowing you to make an informed decision. Just adding as little as 1/2 pound of DME can greatly impact the results...depending on what you are trying to accomplish...perhaps more dramatically then adding HME.

One of the reasons I don't use HME is I don't know exactly what is in the can. I like total control of my results.

Guest System Admin

"Brewermike" post=337023 said:

I have a Canadian style hme. I am wanting to achieve a higher ABV and hopefully more body.

DME is a cheaper route than using two HMEs in my opinion.

I would agree. 1 Can of Canadian Blonde is roughly about a 3.4% ABV. 13 IBUs. This costs $17.95

You could add 2 Lbs of DME at $4.95 each ($9.90) + add about 1oz of hops (roughly $2) -- 11.90 vs 17.95 and if you do that you then have that 2nd can of HME to use for yet another brew.

============

2 Canadian Blonde HMEs = ROUGLY 6.7% ABV...give or take

1 Canadian Blonde + 2 Lbs of DME = ROUGHLY 7.3% ABV

============

On a secondary note...the IBUs...13+13 = 26. 26 IBUs on a 6.7% ABV beer means your BU:GU ratio is about 0.34

In other words, you are going to have a very malty/sweet

Makes sense. Doubling HME may increase the desirable characteristics but it also increases the less desirable ones.

Welcome to the Borg Mike. Some sound advice above about using LME/DME and a hop boil instead of another can of HME. If ya have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks to all for the valuable information. As I said when I first introduced myself I hope at some point I can help those in the shoes I'm in now.

shop around for the DME prices can vary a lot. DME is a product you can use a lot of. A 12 pound bag of pilsen light costs me $29.95 and I go thru 2 or 3 bags a year

"haerbob3" post=337186 said:

shop around for the DME prices can vary a lot. DME is a product you can use a lot of. A 12 pound bag of pilsen light costs me $29.95 and I go thru 2 or 3 bags a year

That is a great price, where do you get that from? I pay 35 bucks for 10 lbs, or I just get it from DMEmart for 47 bucks for 12 lbs.

I did this with 2 standard cans of CAL on the 15th. A lot of action going on in LBK ! ! !
OG=1.066 @65 degrees.
G=1.022 Ten days in