Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RickBeer

Munton's Nut Brown - Munton's yeast vs. S-04

Identical batches, identical OG, 2.5 gallons in LBKs. Approx 6 hours after pitching the yeast the S-04 is starting to foam on top, a few bubbles on the Munton's yeast. 9 hours after pitching the S-04 is clearly more active.

Next morning the S-04 is bubbling out the vent holes, while the Munton's has not yet come out. Both seem to be 71-72 degrees.

[attachment=11258]20130216_131817_2013-02-16.jpg[/attachment]

Did you use the entire packet of S-04? If so it appears that you put in a larger quantity of yeast compared to the Munton's. I know that the yeast strains are different, but based on the packet size, the S-04 started out larger.

I pitched Munton's in a batch of Stout. It came out great and there was a huge amount of trub in the bottom. It's very economical and seems to work great.

I'll just mention that Muntons has 2 yeasts - The Muntons regular yeast isn't all that hot IMHO, it doesn't like to ferment anything 1.05+ unless it's got sugar in it.

Muntons GOLD yeast however is a good English ale yeast.

Not sure which either of you used...

I used the regular yeast that came with it. OG was 1.048.

Owner of my LHBS said to "shake the fermeneter" after 3 or 4 days to wake up the yeast and get a lower FG. Obviously I'm not going to shake it, but should I stir it? If yes, gently or really disturb the trub? New one on me, but first time with non-Mr. Beer yeast.

He said it was needed for both yeasts, but not if I used Nottingham.

Both got active but only the S-04 came out the cap, krausen on the roof of the LBK, not a surprise with 2.5 gallons.. Yesterday the Munton's was more foamy on top, but both were quieter. Temp dropped on both from 70 to 66.

Guest System Admin

I did a 4.8 gallon batch of Munton's NB Ale one with S-04 and one with S-05 both turned out great (atleast tasted great at bottle time).

I saved the Munton's yeast to use on a lawn-mower beer this summer or use as yeast nutrients in a boil

Did you do anything after pitching, like my LHBS suggested a few days later? Or let sit as normal?

"TimeTraveler" post=338034 said:

Did you do anything after pitching,

Well, there is the batting, running and catching!

(Sorry, Spring Training time).

OK, I chuckled.

I'd leave it alone for a couple weeks before even thinking of swishing it to re-suspend yeast.

Guest System Admin

"RickBeer" post=337955 said:

Did you do anything after pitching, like my LHBS suggested a few days later? Or let sit as normal?

I let it sit 21 days and bottled

4 days in and the S-04 seems to be stopped/slow, but the trub is HUGE. Close to an inch and it climbed up towards the spigot even with a CD case. The Munton's still has healthy Krausen, and a much smaller trub layer.

[attachment=11315]20130218_154909.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11316]20130218_154929.jpg[/attachment]

Update - 2 weeks into fermentation. I never stirred up the yeast on either, both started at 1.048 and now are at 1.009 and 1.008. To me, they taste identical, given that it's warm flat beer. Both quite nice. I'll leave them in the LBK's for the final week before bottling.

Nice pictures of the LBKs on the CD case. I notice your picture was similar to mine in that using the CD does not really force the trub to the back of the fermentor. Both pictures show trub equally throughout the bottom. This was very similar to my experience, so I don't use a CD case anymore because I don't believe it has effect on trub accumulation. This appears to be more fiction than fact. :cheers:

I think it keeps it away from the nozzle, which is the desired goal, but haven' measured the front vs. back depth.

"RickBeer" post=343840 said:

I think it keeps it away from the nozzle, which is the desired goal, but haven' measured the front vs. back depth.

You may be right, I just haven't noticed much of a difference. :popbeer:

Update:

Bottled this yesterday. The Munton's yeast yielded an FG of 1.006, down from last Friday's 1.008, for an ABV of 5.5%. The S-04 yielded an FG of 1.012, UP from last Friday's 1.009, so either there was user error involved last week or magic. ABV of 4.7% Targeted FG was 1.012. Both yielded 2.37 gallons, although I expected closer to 2.5 gallons.

Forgot to taste the Munton's, but the S-04 batch tasted good.

This was a can of Munton's Nut Brown ($14.98) plus 3 pounds of LME ($7.50), and a packet of S-04 ($3.99), yielding a cost per 12 pack of $5.06 and $6.81 respectively.

Carbonated to 2.3 per Screwy's calculator, 50 grams, or 70% of where I normally carbonate to.

Eagerly awaiting first tastes and seeing whether the S-04 provided any better result for the $3.99 cost.

Learning this batch - When removing the hose from the LBK to the slimline, don't lift the bottom of the hose up high to stop fluid from coming out, or you learn what the other purpose of the air hole in the spigot is for...