Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
alb

Well, damn.

:angry:
Been having trouble with my keezer set-up leaking CO2. A 5# tank should easily last for 10 5-gal kegs but mine lasts less than one, and I can smell CO2 when I open the lid. This last time it was good for about 3 days then the needle started dropping and 3 days later it's empty. :shoot: The gas man said he checked my connections at the gauge and the hose and it's not the problem. So either my disconnects or the lid must be leaking, but 2 different kegs have been involved, not at the same time. I sprayed soapy water on the fittings, but no bubbles came up to indicate where the problem could be. Any other ideas from my beer brother and sisters?? I can't afford (and wouldn't if I could!) to refill my tank every half keg!

all the hose clamps and crimps tight had one leak for a bad crimp added a hose clamp problem gone I have gotten 12 kegs from my tank #5 still full and that is not including the cleaning & sanitizing of the kegs and lines

"Gymrat" post=337173 said:

Have you sprayed down your regulater? At the hoses and around the gauges?

Not at that end, but the gas guy did and he said they were all good. I sprayed the keg end and connections.

"Gymrat" post=337174 said:

Have you inspected your hoses for cracks?

I was looking at them about a week ago and didn't see anything alarming. And I've only been kegging for about 6 months so I wouldn't think they'd deteriorate that fast, would they?

"haerbob3" post=337182 said:

all the hose clamps and crimps tight had one leak for a bad crimp added a hose clamp problem gone I have gotten 12 kegs from my tank #5 still full and that is not including the cleaning & sanitizing of the kegs and lines

Thanks, I'll check those next. The hose to the keg came with the clamps that you only use once, but I have some of the kind you tighten with a screwdriver, if I can get the old ones off.

Soda systems same set up. What few problems we had was at regulator. There were no hoze clamps used, or crimp clamps, but I would look at those again. And while you are checking, wiggle the conections. I've seen radiator hoses that didn't show a leak until it was wiggled. It's got to be something there, you will find it....

"mtsoxfan" post=337208 said:

Soda systems same set up. What few problems we had was at regulator. There were no hoze clamps used, or crimp clamps, but I would look at those again. And while you are checking, wiggle the conections. I've seen radiator hoses that didn't show a leak until it was wiggled. It's got to be something there, you will find it....

+1 on the radiator

After I keg, I spray the ports with StarSans to make sure they don't leak as well as the top. I also use food grade keg lube to make sure the top doesn't leak but one thing they never tell you is to use plumbers tape around the connections on the gauge. They wouldn't let out that much gas but might over many weeks.

My 5# tank lasted from May thru January and I lost count of how many kegs I had....maybe 15-16.

my regulators and all the fittings on the out put of the tank where already taped. I am thinking of getting another keg system for working and cellar served brews

Alb if it was me I would soap down absolutely EVERYTHING. I would wiggle stuff around as suggested. I would leave no stone unturned.

"alb" post=337142 said:

:angry:
Been having trouble with my keezer set-up leaking CO2. A 5# tank should easily last for 10 5-gal kegs but mine lasts less than one, and I can smell CO2 when I open the lid. This last time it was good for about 3 days then the needle started dropping and 3 days later it's empty. :shoot: The gas man said he checked my connections at the gauge and the hose and it's not the problem. So either my disconnects or the lid must be leaking, but 2 different kegs have been involved, not at the same time. I sprayed soapy water on the fittings, but no bubbles came up to indicate where the problem could be. Any other ideas from my beer brother and sisters?? I can't afford (and wouldn't if I could!) to refill my tank every half keg!

as a WELDER for [ 23 years ] its a very good to use [ soapy ] san star / soapy water,,,, to check for leaks, this is the best way to check for all / any leeks when using CO2 ,,,, A BACK ROOM OR CLOSET OF CO2 IS VERY DANGEROUS ,,,,, please double check all fittings ,,, thank you alb,,,,,,,,, :silly: ,,,

"jersey john" post=337336 said:

as a WELDER for [ 23 years ] its a very good to use [ soapy ] san star / soapy water,,,, to check for leaks, this is the best way to check for all / any leeks when using CO2 ,,,, A BACK ROOM OR CLOSET OF CO2 IS VERY DANGEROUS ,,,,, please double check all fittings ,,, thank you alb,,,,,,,,, :silly: ,,,

My keezer is a chest freezer in the kitchen between the cooking and eating areas, fitted with a Johnson controller to keep the temp above freezing. I've noticed that it's hard to breathe, and smells a little sour when I reach to the bottom of the keezer for bottled beers or to clean up spills. And if I stay there too long I get short of breath. Is there any other reason it's dangerous? You were pretty emphatic.

you just said why . you couldn't breath was losing you ability to think and remain awake. colorless, oderless, deadly

any leek , of any gas, other than oxagen,,, is a consern to all in every house hold,,,,thats one of many reasens why you [ every one ] YES YOU ,,,, should not use youre stove as a heater [ off- topic ] but true ,,,,,,,, :sweat:
BE SAFE ,,,,, BREW SAFE ,,,,,,,,, :gofish:

"Beer-lord" post=337273 said:

I also use food grade keg lube to make sure the top doesn't leak but one thing they never tell you is to use plumbers tape around the connections on the gauge.

+1
My suggestion as well. Keg lube, which has a vaseline like consistency will both lubricate fittings and help make sure everything seals well. No kegging setup should be without it. :chug:

"oly" post=337515 said:

"Beer-lord" post=337273 said:

I also use food grade keg lube to make sure the top doesn't leak but one thing they never tell you is to use plumbers tape around the connections on the gauge.

+1
My suggestion as well. Keg lube, which has a vaseline like consistency will both lubricate fittings and help make sure everything seals well. No kegging setup should be without it. :chug:

+1 on the Keg Lube

+1 on New Seals for the Lid, Posts and Poppets

+ 1 on Screw Clamps instead of Crimp-ons

+1 on a Pressure Guage that reads 0-30 lbs attached to a pin or ball lock gas connector (depending on the type you use)

This lets you charge the keg, remove it from the gas, and attach the guage and monitor it to see if the keg seals are leaking!