Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lox1030

Carbonating

so I must of miss read the bottling step, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read I could carbonate in the fridge or at room temp. I have 4 bottles in fridge after I primed then capped and left 4 out and I noticed the ones I left out seem to be hard like a soda bottle. The ones in the fridge aren't.. Is it ok to take them out of fridge after they been in for two weeks? Also while I'm at it.. I looked at the bottles and see a haze (smoke like) floating around and wanted to know if this was normal due to them sitting and ingredients settling? Ty in advance

Welcome to the forum!!! :chug:

They won't carbonate in the fridge. It's too cold for the yeast to do their work. It's okay to take them out of the fridge, and then carbonate at room temperature for at least 3 weeks. Four weeks is better.

conditioning/carbing should be done at room temp.

So yes take those ones out of the fridge and let them warm up to room temp and sit for a few weeks. :)

Haze could be just the trub floating around. But without know what you brewed hard to say.

Take them out of the fridge and leave them at room temp around 70 degrees for at least 4 weeks. The hardening of bottles means they are carbonating. They need at least 4 weeks to condition. What you see floating could be yeast. It will settle after conditioning.

Read the stickies at the top of the posts! Lots of good info.

After 4 weeks put them in the fridge for 2-3 days and enjoy!

+1 to all the above and welcome to the obsession.

[attachment=11357]welcomebeer_2013-02-19-2.gif[/attachment]

Ty all for the fast replies.. Obsession indeed lol. I'm so ready for another fermentor and some new kits. I brewed whatever came with the Mr. Beer kit, the kit that includes the 8 PET bottles. Pale ale I believe? Is there any tools that I could use to make my brewing easier or better?

Guest System Admin

Or you could leave your beer out in clear glass and let it get light-struck.

Then it will taste just like a skunky Heinie.

getting back to the beer in question when you finish the 4 weeks at rm temp only refrigerate what you'll need let the rest age 'till needed.

"Lox1030" post=338837 said:

Awe :( lol... C'mon Heineken is awesome in taste!

Only when it's packaged like this - IMHO.

[attachment=11359]heinein.jpg[/attachment]

Just to sum up:

Where your confusion may have came from, is that some people suggest "cold conditioning" for a week or two in the fridge before drinking, but this is a separate step from carbonating.

Carbonating has to be done at room temp, to keep the yeast active and produce carbon dioxide. A total of 4 weeks at room temp in the bottle achieves both carbonation (first 2 weeks or so) and conditioning (the last 2 weeks). Since it's not 2 distinct steps, most have combined it into one 4-week step to avoid confusion. Putting them in the fridge after the 4-weeks but a couple of days before drinking allows the yeast to cease being active, and the trub to settle to the bottom and congeal, resulting in a clearer pour.

"richtazz" post=338932 said:

Just to sum up:

Where your confusion may have came from, is that some people suggest "cold conditioning" for a week or two in the fridge before drinking, but this is a separate step from carbonating.

Carbonating has to be done at room temp, to keep the yeast active and produce carbon dioxide. A total of 4 weeks at room temp in the bottle achieves both carbonation (first 2 weeks or so) and conditioning (the last 2 weeks). Since it's not 2 distinct steps, most have combined it into one 4-week step to avoid confusion. Putting them in the fridge after the 4-weeks but a couple of days before drinking allows the yeast to cease being active, and the trub to settle to the bottom and congeal, resulting in a clearer pour.

+1. It is also recommended to allow it to sit in the LBK for 3 weeks fermenting and to allow the yeast clean up after it's self. The result is, a better product in the end. So use a 3 4 instead of the 2 2 2 recommended by MrB.