Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
roadx

help with first hard cider

i have read quite a bit and watched the you tube video's but your input would be greatly appreciated!

my LBK is sitting idle so.... i thought this would be a good learning opportunity to ferment something.
my plan is two gallons of no preservative apple juice, 3/4 lbs of lactose,1 pound of cane sugar and half pack of Nottingham yeast.
this sound ok? what would you add or subtract for a semi-sweet/ or maybe i should say semi dry beverage?
i have heard fermentation takes from days to months! what should be the expected time for OG 1010 and a FG of 1.000? 13 something ABV.
is Nottingham up to the task?
and we (my wife and I) would like it sparkling, how much priming sugar is needed at bottling time.

THANKS in Advance you guys and gals rock

This is from our Nong, u can search thingy for it, I think he's changed it a tad:

PPS
5 cans of apple juice concentrate
2 pounds white sugar
.5 pound lactose
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 pack Champaign yeast

Boil water long enough to solidify the sugar, lactose and spice, remove from heat, dump in concentrate. Chill to pitching temp then pitch yeast. Leave in fermentor for 4 weeks, bottle. I did not prime mine, I like a still cider when I drink it.

I would not recommed using notty, use champaign or wine yeast. Beer yeast will not get all the sugars eat'n up, you would end up with a very sweet cider. You need it to ferment as closer to 1.000 as possible.

thanks
ditching the Nottingham and going with a champagne or wine yeast (maybe a Riesling wine yeast D47)
and bump up the sugar to two pounds, lower the lactose as suggested.
i think i'll leave the spice's out for my first run.
i guess i will bottle prime it the same as beer?

+1 to nong pps 1/2 lb lactose and brown sugar instead of white. I bottled the other day could have drank the whole batch right out of the lbk.

"dogsnharleys" post=339345 said:

+1 to nong pps 1/2 lb lactose and brown sugar instead of white. I bottled the other day could have drank the whole batch right out of the lbk.

Thats the one I used is with brown sugar. Just bottled last night, and I could have drank more than my "sample".

I've used both white and brown sugar.
For that size batch, cut the spice by half...but the full amount won't hurt.
I've tried priming with the suggested amount of sugar, and each was a fizz-bomb.
That yeast will get after that priming sugar. The last time I played with priming.. I used 3/8ths tsp of sugar, wasn't too bad, but then, I bought a 3 gallon corney, and just used Co2.

"CraftsBeer" post=340892 said:

"FrozenInTime" post=339334 said:

5 cans of apple juice concentrate

What size concentrate can?

Don't have any at the moment, what r they, 10 oz? 12? Size of a can of biskies.

Not sure of the actuall size CraftsBeer but theyre about the size of a 12 oz pop can. Maybe a tad longer and slightly skinnier. I would guess around 12-14 oz size. Usually 5 of those can get you where you need to be. No Preservatives as mentioned.