Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Deejay

Storing dme

Recommended Posts

Hello I just bought a 5 pound bag of amber dme and I stored it in 1 pound bags. I weighed it out and used a food sealer to package them air tight. Is this an ok method? Anything better?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

"Towne" post=339839 said:

Hello I just bought a 5 pound bag of amber dme and I stored it in 1 pound bags. I weighed it out and used a food sealer to package them air tight. Is this an ok method? Anything better?

Thanks!

@Towne:

You nailed it, bro!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

I use the heavier "freezer" bags.

No issues whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I have lived together for 3 years but jst got married last year. With our salaries and direct deposit we thought it prudent to have x amount taken out for bills, mortgage, groceries and the like, Anything else went to our own accts for whatever debt we may have accrued before hand. Or for more savings. Anyway the last post made me laugh cause we go to Sams/Wlly world once a month just to keep up on household items. We hit the detergent isle and missie is like "Do we need any detergent?" And im combing the isle till I find the oxiclean and Im like "Our soap sucks we need this" So I grab a huge crate and throw it into the cart. Shes like "Our soaps fine, you want this for brewing." she got a nice sweater out of the deal. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the same thing on 1 bag, but the sucking the air out was kind of messy so the rest of the 11 pounds I just sealed them without sucking the air out and they have been fine for 6 months now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"dond427" post=339898 said:

Will good zip lock baggies work?

I've stored DME in good zip lock bags, so yeah, it'll work okay. I really prefer the food sealer just to make sure it's fresh, but I've had DME in zip lock bags for a while with no real problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Photon Brewing" post=340000 said:

Anyway the last post made me laugh cause we go to Sams/Wlly world once a month just to keep up on household items. We hit the detergent isle and missie is like "Do we need any detergent?" And im combing the isle till I find the oxiclean and Im like "Our soap sucks we need this" So I grab a huge crate and throw it into the cart. Shes like "Our soaps fine, you want this for brewing." she got a nice sweater out of the deal. LOL

Interesting. I can't see the somewhat competitive attitude, myself. I don't feel a need to disguise my brewing purchases. It's my hobby, and hobbies take maintenance and supplies, plain and simple. In fact, when my wife makes out her grocery list, she always asks me how I'm doing on Oxy. The only reason we have it in the house is for my brewing, and she doesn't participate in any aspect of brewing, but she supports it because she knows how much it means to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make a lot of starters and go through DME pretty quickly so I cut a small hole in the bag to pour out the DME then fold the bag over a few times to seal it up. I put four of those wide paper clips, the ones you have to squeeze the tabs to open them, on the folds to keep the tight and put the bag on the shelf.

Does anyone know what happens to DME if it's left unsealed? Does it get stale, what it would do to the taste of the beer and how long would it take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Screwy Brewer" post=340089 said:

I make a lot of starters and go through DME pretty quickly so I cut a small hole in the bag to pour out the DME then fold the bag over a few times to seal it up. I put four of those wide paper clips, the ones you have to squeeze the tabs to open them, on the folds to keep the tight and put the bag on the shelf.

Does anyone know what happens to DME if it's left unsealed? Does it get stale, what it would do to the taste of the beer and how long would it take?


I was about to ask the same thing. How do you tell if it's getting old?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"gophers6" post=339989 said:

I need to convince my wife that she needs a food sealer. :laugh:

holy heck...

Before I started brewing I told my wife to get rid of the foodsaver because she never used it...


Oh karma....you are indeed a $&$&$!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Screwy Brewer" post=340089 said:

...I cut a small hole in the bag to pour out the DME then fold the bag over a few times to seal it up....


I also do this. Then I place it inside a 1-gal ziplock bag, squeeze the air out, and store it inside my fermenting fridge.

...Does anyone know what happens to DME if it's left unsealed? Does it get stale, what it would do to the taste of the beer and how long would it take?


Unsealed DME will absorb moisture and eventually it can get as hard as a rock, similar to Booster. What staling effect occurs, or how it might effect the flavor of the beer, I'm not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if it's right or not, but I store my unused DME, LME, grains and yeast in my beer fridge and hops in the freezer. I believe I read it here on the borg, somewhere. :charlie:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...