Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
calledthestig

Recipe Collaboration - Cascade Almost "SMaSH"

So Joechianti and I were paired for the recipe collaboration and after much talk he decided that I am definitely ready to try my hand at a BIAB recipe and based on a suggestion from Fedora Dave we decided to do a very simple almost "SMaSH" recipe with a different hop so that we could see what each hop does to the same base beer. I am definitely excited to try this, so here is my recipe below and what we have come up with.

Recipe Specs
------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.051
Estimated Color: 7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Ingredient List
------------------------
4.5lbs 2-Row
4oz CaraPils
4oz Crystal 60L

0.5oz Cascade @60 minutes
0.5oz Cascade @20 minutes
0.5oz Cascade @7 minutes

Safale US-05 Yeast

http://hopville.com/recipe/1684354

I decided the first go at this concept to do a no-sparge method, so these are my water calculations for my water volume in the pot.

Final Volume: 2.5 Gallons
Evap Rate: +1 Gallon / Hour
Absorption: 0.125 gallons / lb (5 lbs)
Total Water: 4.125 Gallons (16.5 Quarts)

Sounds like a good plan and a good beer! Keep us posted with some pictures from your brewday, if you have the chance!

Good luck and have fun!

Looks like a winner of a recipe! Good luck with it. And good luck with your first BIAB. I'm sure Joe will be able to talk you through it, but once you're done, I'll bet you a beer you'll say to yourself, "Is that all there is to it? Man, I gotta do this more often!"

"philm00x" post=341237 said:

Your pics have been stolen off the page! lol.

Good luck on your brew day :)

Thank you!! BTW that was Dropbox's fault - pics are back up and here is one more of the actual mash.

It smells delicious in here!

8502803825_a9e62e79e1_b.jpg

OG measured at 1.043 (missed by .008) -- not horrible. Not sure what caused the miss, but I am curious to see what happens when I brew this again. Anyone know what might cause the OG to be off by that much?

It was a really fun experience though. Everything went really well. Mash temperature stayed put for the hour with the pot wrapped in blankets and mashed out to 168 and let the bag hang there for 5-10 minutes. Tried to squeeze some extra wort out, but the bag and grain was really hot.

Thanks again to Joe for all his help and wisdom with this collaboration! It was a blast and I am definitely going to do all grain going forward unless I am feeling lazy, hah.

Guest System Admin

Looks like a good recipe, nice pale ale with cascades.

I found for me I get much better efficency when I sparge the grains after the 1 hour mash.

Also I stir my mash during the hour a few times to make sure I get good mix.

Has gotten me much better numbers for my BIAB.

"Trollby" post=341388 said:

I found for me I get much better efficency when I sparge the grains after the 1 hour mash.

Is there a good technique to sparge with BIAB? I saw someone take a cooling rack like for a cake and place it over top of the pan and place the bag of grain on top of this cooling rack and then pour the sparge water over top of the bag that way? Is there a recommended technique for when doing BIAB?

I definitely need to stir more during the hour as well.

But for the first time I feel pretty confident doing it again which is a good feeling. :gulp:

Matt,

I failed to mention occasional stirring. Some do, some don't. I do. Sorry.

I lift my grain bag up and then sit it in a colander that fits on top of the pot, then sparge it that way. Don't forget to use less water to start with or else you'll have too much wort of low OG after adding sparge water.

When I see the color of the sparge water coming out of that grain bag, I feel real good about doing it.

As for grain bag being too hot to squeeze, I push on it with a heavy spoon while it sits in the colander.

"calledthestig" post=341422 said:

"Trollby" post=341388 said:

Is there a good technique to sparge with BIAB? I saw someone take a cooling rack like for a cake and place it over top of the pan and place the bag of grain on top of this cooling rack and then pour the sparge water over top of the bag that way? Is there a recommended technique for when doing BIAB?

I definitely need to stir more during the hour as well.

But for the first time I feel pretty confident doing it again which is a good feeling. :gulp:

What I do is I place a rack between the pot and the bag to drain off.

25056205.jpg

Aftr I drain the grains then I have a nice colendar that fits over a pot and I pour the water over more of a rinse of the grains with the hot water. (sorry no picture)

I stir up the grains in the bag and slowly pour the water over to rinse the best I can.

I get a nice gallon of grain rinse I add to the mash pot that seems to bump up my efficency

Checked the beer this morning - definitely some nice action, but I noticed the temp has gone up to 74° eek!

I put some icepacks around it before I went to work, hoping to drop the temperature down some in that closet as well, but no fan to turn on.

Hopefully it doesn't get too bad - I really want to taste this one. But I shall relax for now.

Guest System Admin

Very active fermentation will raise temp why I always try to keep low-mid range on the LBK.

74*F is high but not out of yeast range, your ice packs will help. The higher temps can change the flavor profile.

I like putting the LBK in a "jelly-roll" pan, I can put a frozen 2lt bottle on one side with it in there and fits perfect for summer brewing when temps in my brew area room run 66-68*F

"Trollby" post=341715 said:

Very active fermentation will raise temp why I always try to keep low-mid range on the LBK.

74*F is high but not out of yeast range, your ice packs will help. The higher temps can change the flavor profile.

I like putting the LBK in a "jelly-roll" pan, I can put a frozen 2lt bottle on one side with it in there and fits perfect for summer brewing when temps in my brew area room run 66-68*F

Yeah this is definitely a fully learning brew for me so I am glad this is all happening in the same batch and bad things aren't happening across multiple batches.

I am going to check again when I get home and ask the fiancee to throw some water bottles in the freezer for me then put the LBK into a baking pan surrounded by the frozen water bottles if the temperature didn't come down when I get home from work.

At least I am not freaking out this time - RDWHAHB is definitely my motto for this batch. :chug:

Beer is down to 68° as of last night - now in the mid range of the yeast. Would like to get it down to 64 or 66, but don't want too much temperature fluctuation.

This is when I scream to the rafters: "SWEET GENIUS"

Kinda like the stars are coming into alignment...my ferm temp is where I want it to be and all the good things are happening with my lbk.

Great job with everything Stig, and you do have a great teacher in your partner JoeC. Keep the pics and the updates a coming. This is what a collab is all about, communication and advancing in homebrewing confidence.

[attachment=11588]applaud2.png[/attachment]

"T8r Salad" post=342247 said:

This is when I scream to the rafters: "SWEET GENIUS"

Kinda like the stars are coming into alignment...my ferm temp is where I want it to be and all the good things are happening with my lbk.

Great job with everything Stig, and you do have a great teacher in your partner JoeC. Keep the pics and the updates a coming. This is what a collab is all about, communication and advancing in homebrewing confidence.

Joe really is a great teacher - he has been really supportive along the way and even sent me notes, hints and emails of just motivation along the way.

The stars have aligned and now the wait begins - let's see how delicious the finished wort tastes in 3 weeks time.

Matt,

You deserve all the credit for being a quick study, asking all the right questions and taking great initiative. It does my heart good to see you doing so well with your brewing.

"calledthestig" post=341354 said:

OG measured at 1.043 (missed by .008) -- not horrible. Not sure what caused the miss, but I am curious to see what happens when I brew this again. Anyone know what might cause the OG to be off by that much?

It was a really fun experience though. Everything went really well. Mash temperature stayed put for the hour with the pot wrapped in blankets and mashed out to 168 and let the bag hang there for 5-10 minutes. Tried to squeeze some extra wort out, but the bag and grain was really hot.

Thanks again to Joe for all his help and wisdom with this collaboration! It was a blast and I am definitely going to do all grain going forward unless I am feeling lazy, hah.

When I brewed my first AG, my gravity was off by the same amount. Some of it likely due to the equipment. Some might be due to amount of sparge water (diluting the wort more than desired). Some might be due to how stiff the mash was. Could be a number of reasons.

"philm00x" post=342254 said:

When I brewed my first AG, my gravity was off by the same amount. Some of it likely due to the equipment. Some might be due to amount of sparge water (diluting the wort more than desired). Some might be due to how stiff the mash was. Could be a number of reasons.

Oh okay good to know - not going to jump to any conclusions until I have a few more brews under my belt so going to try another AG recipe this weekend or next. Just something I observed and glad to see someone else had a similar outcome their first time going AG.

Going to hold off on the other Warrior Pale Ale recipe so I can put something in the pipeline to break up my light beers. Might do a porter or a stout and see how it turns out. Thinking about using the Warrior Pale Ale recipe as my first AG with sparging so I am excited.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Bottled this yesterday. Got a 3L bottle (for my Tap A Draft), 1 1L PET Bottle and 10 12oz bottles.

FG came in at 1.006 which is much lower than expected but I need to check my hydrometer to see what it reads in water to confirm calibration. Otherwise I jumped up an entire ABV percentage point.

Sample tasted really delicious too. Gonna be a long 4 weeks now.

Sounds good. You got excellent attenuation. Should be a perfect beer to highlight the cascade without strong malt flavor getting in the way. I can't wait to hear how it tastes.

"Joechianti" post=352085 said:

Sounds good. You got excellent attenuation. Should be a perfect beer to highlight the cascade without strong malt flavor getting in the way. I can't wait to hear how it tastes.

Thanks again for all your help Joe - I definitely couldn't have done it without you.

AND I get to taste the beer "on tap" with your hint about the Tap-A-Draft system on a 3L soda bottle.

I can't believe the amount of information I have gotten from this one brew day. :chug:

Here she is in all her glory and its amazing. Honestly its exactly what I hoped it would be -- a nice pale ale with a finish of citrus / grapefruit from the Cascade hops. I am really excited to tap the 3L bottle in a few days and have this beer "on tap" with the tap-a-draft head.

Thanks again to Joe for all his help!

8655258616_7599eaca5d_c.jpg

"calledthestig" post=363225 said:

Here she is in all her glory and its amazing. Honestly its exactly what I hoped it would be -- a nice pale ale with a finish of citrus / grapefruit from the Cascade hops. I am really excited to tap the 3L bottle in a few days and have this beer "on tap" with the tap-a-draft head.

Thanks again to Joe for all his help!

8655258616_7599eaca5d_c.jpg

Looks great! Count me as a fan of cascade hops.