Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewbirds

Brewing now 911 Cannot completion ofhot break

the hotbreak wont stop. 45 - 1 hr now. my red beer will be dark please help

Mostly darker brown bigger bubbles with a little of the white denser bubbles keeps reachng for the top.
taken off the heat several times but keeps restarting when returned to heat.

the recipe is all lme with some flaked wheat and rye.

Try putting the pot half off and half on the burner.

Turn the heat down some so its not a raging boil.

Whisk, Whisk, Whisk!

Thats what I do when the hot break seems to never end.

My first time using DME I had the same problem, just kept boiling and foaming.

Tried combinations of the above tricks subsequently for my batches going forward and I can usually tame the foaming hot break beast. :)

Good Luck! :cheers:

trying this. no luck yet, every time we whisk it foams up more.

the wort is losing h20, now color of hersheys syrup. constant stirring, so not scorched hopefully.

this was not a dme recipe, it was lme plus lots of grain. too much maybe.

can/should i add water?

I don't think adding water to the boil at this point will make a difference. You can always add water when transferring to the fermenter to make up for the loss.

Spray bottle next time BrewBirds!

The boil will eventually settle down, but, you have to learn to regulate the heat too!
The + or - on the heat knob is your best friend in this situation. A rolling boil is a boil, as opposed to a full on raging boil!
BTW, LME doesn't need to boil! You should only add about 1/3 of the total for the recipe and add the rest a flameout!
Good luck with the brew! :cheers:

I'd like to add that you shouldn't give up on this brew.

I had a similar experience a long time ago with a brown ale I was working on, and by the time I transferred the wort to the LBK, it resembled roofing tar more than wort.

The batch still turned out okay.

Never -- I repeat, NEVER give up on a batch until it's obvious that the gremlins have won. Beer can be surprising that way.

Turn the heat down to a gental boil.

and why are you boiling it that long?

I turned down the heat and it still kept foaming up. I kept boiling that long trying to get the hot break to finish. Aren't you supposed to do that before you add the hops???

The boil will eventually settle down, but, you have to learn to regulate the heat too!
The + or - on the heat knob is your best friend in this situation. A rolling boil is a boil, as opposed to a full on raging boil!
BTW, LME doesn't need to boil! You should only add about 1/3 of the total for the recipe and add the rest a flameout!

Used the spray bottle to keep from foam over.

Had my brother change to late extract addition in Hopville and it through all of his numbers out of whack.

Never -- I repeat, NEVER give up on a batch until it's obvious that the gremlins have won. Beer can be surprising that way.

I gave up on it at 6 last night and started supper. Just through the pot and re-hydrated yeast in the fridge. Won't I have DMS and other bad things in this batch? Should I just start the boil again or is it to late to save it?

I think he had way to much flaked wheat steeped in here which was the problem.

Guest System Admin

"Brewbirds" post=341248 said:

Turn the heat down to a gental boil.

and why are you boiling it that long?

I turned down the heat and it still kept foaming up. I kept boiling that long trying to get the hot break to finish. Aren't you supposed to do that before you add the hops???

Used the spray bottle to keep from foam over.

Had my brother change to late extract addition in Hopville and it through all of his numbers out of whack.

I gave up on it at 6 last night and started supper. Just through the pot and re-hydrated yeast in the fridge. Won't I have DMS and other bad things in this batch? Should I just start the boil again or is it to late to save it?

I think he had way to much flaked wheat steeped in here which was the problem.

the quote works for me. are you using the quote at bottom of post you want to quote?

Guest System Admin

The + or - on the heat knob is your best friend in this situation.

OK, so....cleaning up my PC after shooting coffee all over.

Guest System Admin

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=341296 said:

Quote function works OK in here too.

User error?

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=341304 said:

User error?

that's what I'm trying to determin but no answer if it don't work just answer no quote

"Jimjohson" post=341306 said:

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=341304 said:

User error?

that's what I'm trying to determin but no answer if it don't work just answer no quote

Wait, Now have I figured it out?

Guest System Admin

Probably in a panic......you were hitting the wrong button.

Don't worry about it.

so, was this just continually trying to foam over?... or was there just "foam" on top of the boiling LME? It won't be Foam free, but it shouldn't constantly try to foam over. And the water spray bottle does work. That's what I use during the initial hot break. all you need is that gental rolling effect.

"yankeedag" post=341365 said:

so, was this just continually trying to foam over?... or was there just "foam" on top of the boiling LME? It won't be Foam free, but it shouldn't constantly try to foam over. And the water spray bottle does work. That's what I use during the initial hot break. all you need is that gental rolling effect.

Yes it kept trying to foam over repeatedly. I used the spray bottle and that works great.

My brother had me steeping about half a pound of flaked wheat, I think that was the problem.

I just pulled it out of the fridge and went ahead and finished it, put it in the LBK and chalk it up to Frankenbier.

We'll know in about a million months after it conditions out.

BrewBirds: post the recipe so maybe the experts can give you more info regarding too much grain or whatever. Frankenbier is always good since you are not expecting it to turn out right but in the end it will be one of your best.

I don't know how to post them the way you guys do it.

My brother was trying use up some left over LME and hops so he put it in Hopville (which we still learning how to use) and he hit on a "Texas Crispy Red Ale" as a kind of American Amber Ale.

We used 1.6 lbs. robust, 1 lb amber, and 1 lb. extra pale LME that was getting old.

We steeped 1/2 lb flaked wheat and 4 oz. of flaked rye at 155F for 60 minutes in one gal. water and sparged with 2 quarts, which he now says should have been total grain of 4 oz. ( I tried to tell him that sounded like to much grain)

Instead of tossing it I listened to The Hat and pulled it out of the fridge and did a 45 min bittering hop with 1/2 oz. of glacier and 10 min finishing with Kent Golding 0.4 oz.

We added 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient at 10 min. and half a Whirlfloc tablet at 5 min.

Four quarts water into LBK and added about 1 1/2 quarts into the wort, poured into the LBK then topped to 8.5 line.

We re-hydrated a pack of Mr. Beer yeast and pitched at 76F.

He wants to dry hop with Willamette for 5 days

Because the flaked grain sucked up a bunch and the hot break would not stop it boiled quite a while so we needed to add more water than normal.

Our OG before pitching was 1.048