Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CC Shmucko

Brewing with Honey

I am pretty new to home brewing, and I was considering adding honey to a batch. My father-in-law makes his own honey, so it would be of good quality. When would be the best time to add it, and how much should I use? I would like a little of the honey flavor, but wouldn't mind a little boost of alcohol. Any suggestions?

Until you gain a really good understanding of what it will do and how to use it, don't.

Lots of things that really sound good in beer don't really turn out the way that you might think after the yeast has a chance to munch away at any fermentable sugars present.

BTW---welcome!

[attachment=11526]Welcome09_2013-02-24.gif[/attachment]

to the Borg. You will make beer. Best to make the first few brews without modifications to learn the brewing techniques and what to expect. Keep your brew in the LBK for 3 weeks before bottling it. Then leave the bottled brew at room temps for 4 weeks before putting then in the fridge for two days (cold crash) before drinking them.

If it is a honey flavor you are looking for get an extract to add at bottling. When you add it during fermentation a lot of the aroma & flavor will go up with the CO2. An idea I been playing with but haven't tried yet is using full honeycomb. I have added fresh honeys to wort, (in secondary) with no ill effect. Do a search on honey in this forum.

Guest System Admin