Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JediJunkie247

Next up: Belgian Blanc

Hello brew brothers and sisters,

Well, I bottled my Beglian dubbel about a week ago. It smelled great and tasted even better at bottling. Now just have to wait for it to "come of age". :laugh:

Up next, I was going to do another Belgian, this time doing a Belgian Wit. So, I've got the stuff for the Belgian Blanc, minus the orange peel and coriander, and possibly some liquid witbier yeast. But my wife gave me a gift card to the local brew supply store for Christmas, so that's just a matter of time.

My question is this:

How much coriander and orange peel would you recommend adding? Also, how and when you recommend adding them?

Well, I'm no expert, however, I have a recipe for making 5 gallons that calls for .4 oz crushed coriander and 1.5 tablespoons of fresh orange zest. Everything I read warns to go easy on the coriander or your brew may get too "peppery" tasting.

Good luck. My next brew may be a Belgian Wit. I got the ingredients together a month ago. Then I decided to scale back the operations some. I'm sure I'll get to it in a month or so. I purchased Wyeast 3942 for my yeast strain.

Good luck!

I've done both a 2.5 gallon batch and a 5 gallon batch.

For the 2.5 gallon, I did 1/4 oz each of both the dried bitter orange peel and the crushed coriander and added them for the last 15 minutes of the boil. And it came out very tasty, it was a good amount of the spices for that sized batch.

For the 5 gallon batch, I used 3/4 oz each of both the spices and added them for the last 7 minutes of the boil. This one is still conditioning so I can't comment on the final product yet. But, at bottling, it was pretty much how I remembered the 2.5 gallon tasting at bottling too.

Hey all, first post. This is my third Mr. Beer batch, and I'm a huge witbier fan. Worried that I put in too much coriander - got a 1 oz. bag (along w/ 1 oz. bag of sweet orange peel), which I saw in most recipes was used in a 5 gallon batch...went with .5 oz of each (or maybe a bit less). Also found it interesting that recipe calls for you to leave muslin sack in during fermentation.

Maybe will be a bit "spicy"? It smelled amazing, though.

Well, I finally got around to putting this one together and in the LBK on Wednesday.

I may have gone a little overboard with the bitter orange peel and coriander. I did 1 oz. for the orange peel, and 1/2 oz. for the coriander (crushed of course). I boiled them together for 10 minutes, then added my extracts. I went ahead and sprung for the Wyeast Belgian Witbier liquid yeast. By today, it was going nicelyat about 64 degrees in my brew cooler.

I'm hoping that increased conditioning time may counter-act the overabundance of peel and coriander. But, damn if it didn't smell like I'd died and gone to heaven.

JediJunkie, Sounds like you are doing great. I am looking forward to a full report. Belgian Witbier is next in my queue. Feel free to PM me with any comments you may want to make.

JediJunkie, I'm with you on the smell! Waiting is the hard part now. I used similar amounts, although only .5 oz of the sweet orange peel, but a bit worried about the spiciness of the coriander.

Consensus out there on how long to condition? I've read that wheats don't particularly age well and figure I should be drinking this within 1.5-2.0 months after bottling if not sooner.

I've also heard that wheat beers are best while they're young. This one will serve as my late spring/early summer brew. It'll give me something to hold me over while I wait for my dubbel to age.

Guest System Admin

Brew 'em for 3 weeks (or less if you've got a hydro and take readings) and then carb/condition for 2-3 weeks.

They'll be ready to go then.....all of mine are.

With any luck, I'll be bottling this one later today (Thursday). Tuesday was the 3-week mark, so it's time.

When I checked it on Tuesday, it had reached a low of 62 degrees. I had hoped it would have fermented a little warmer. But hey, watcha gonna do?

I just cracked open the first one the other night and it was great. 3 weeks in fermenter and then 2.5 weeks carbing, about 6 hrs in the fridge to get it cold. I used .5 oz each of sweet orange peel and coriander and it definitely had a "stronger" spicey taste than other wits, but I kind of liked it that way! This one definitely does not need very long

Congrats on your success. I have Belgian Wit that's been conditioning for 12 days. I'll give one a taste in about a week. My hydro sample tasted great, so I have high hopes for the finished brew.

Time for an update on ye olde Witbier.

I've had this in the bottle since April 12. I kinda flubbed the original recipe a bit (forgot to add the hops). Still, I figured it was time to crack one open and give it a try.

Let's just say it was a good thing I was sitting down before I took a taste. This turned out so well, I went weak in the knees. Even without any additional hops added, all the flavors were there. The orange peel and coriander really shine through on this one, and the Belgian wheat yeast gives it a nice taste.

All in all, I'm pleased.