Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
yankfan9

Witbier (1st BIAB)

Alright so today is the day for my first all-grain BIAB batch. Was planning on doing the peanut butter chocolate stout 5 gal, but I psyched myself out so I am now going to do a 2.5 gal witbier. I have a 4 gallon SS pot that I do my 2.5 gal extract batches for. Would this be to small for a BIAB. I am just wondering how much water I would need to use, and if I need to use a bigger pot. Here is the grain bill for it.

Recipe from midwest supplies

2.5 lbs. Domestic Pilsner
1.5 lbs. White Wheat
8 oz. Unmalted Wheat
4 oz. Carapils

"yankfan9" post=341250 said:

Alright so today is the day for my first all-grain BIAB batch. Was planning on doing the peanut butter chocolate stout 5 gal, but I psyched myself out so I am now going to do a 2.5 gal witbier. I have a 4 gallon SS pot that I do my 2.5 gal extract batches for. Would this be to small for a BIAB. I am just wondering how much water I would need to use, and if I need to use a bigger pot. Here is the grain bill for it.

Recipe from midwest supplies

2.5 lbs. Domestic Pilsner
1.5 lbs. White Wheat
8 oz. Unmalted Wheat
4 oz. Carapils

I just started my first BIAB this morning so first off good luck to you!

I have a 24qt pot that I am using for my BIAB this morning and based on my calculations and readings I needed to have 4.125 Gallons (16.5 Quarts) of water for my mash.

Final Volume: 2.5 Gallons
Evap Rate: +1 Gallon / Hour
Absorption: 0.125 gallons / lb (5 lbs)
Total Water: 4.125 Gallons (16.5 Quarts)

Since this is my first one - maybe someone else can chime in and find a way for you to use your pot such as maybe using less mash water and adding bottled water to the LBK after your hop boil is done.

My link is below for reference: http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/20-advanced-recipes/340131-recipe-collaboration-cascade-almost-smash

I have used a four gallon pot and for that size its possible but you will probably have some spill over. Five gallon is much better. You need maybe 3-3.5 gallons of water for your boil volume and when you add the grains the pot will be full to almost over flowing. Now you could mash in 2.5 gallons and then sparge one gallon in after the mash and that might help some, but your still going to be very near the top for the boil which means watch it like a hawk and stir constantly to avoid boil overs.

"I just started my first BIAB this morning so first off good luck to you!"
Good luck to you too! Let me know how it goes.

Whew! Just called my neighbor and she gave me her 32 qt pot to use so I should be fine as far as the volume is concerned. So mash with 3.5 gallons then gbryant? And also this pot does NOT have a lid, so this seems to be a bit of a concern for holding the mash temp. Anyone ever done a mash without a lid? I guess I could toss my big lid for my 40 qt pot on there. And one more question (sorry I have many) I am using a steamer basket in the bottom of my pot to prevent scorching of the bag, but it has 3 small legs that stick up, and will be poking the bag. Will this be a problem? Thanks

Well alright, just went to the LHBS and picked up the ingredients :banana:
This will be the recipe now. They didn't have unmalted wheat but the guy said flaked would be fine.

40 oz. domestic pilsner
24 oz. white wheat
8 oz. flaked wheat
4 oz. carapils
0.25 ounces coriander
0.25 ounces bitter orange peel
0.25 ounces lemon peel
0.25 ounce liberty
0.25 ounce hallertau

Now the only obstacle I have is after the boil I have to have a way of transferring the boiling hot wort into a seperate pot that will be in an ice bath in my sink. I have to transfer to another pot because the one I am using for the boil is too big to fit in my sink for an ice bath. I can't siphon the hot wort obviously, so could I just SLOWLY and carefully pour the wort into the other pot when the time comes?

"yankfan9" post=341265 said:

"I just started my first BIAB this morning so first off good luck to you!"
Good luck to you too! Let me know how it goes.

Whew! Just called my neighbor and she gave me her 32 qt pot to use so I should be fine as far as the volume is concerned. So mash with 3.5 gallons then gbryant? And also this pot does NOT have a lid, so this seems to be a bit of a concern for holding the mash temp. Anyone ever done a mash without a lid? I guess I could toss my big lid for my 40 qt pot on there. And one more question (sorry I have many) I am using a steamer basket in the bottom of my pot to prevent scorching of the bag, but it has 3 small legs that stick up, and will be poking the bag. Will this be a problem? Thanks

I usually mash with the full volume of water I want for the boil. For a LBK sized batch I find that to be about 3.5 gallons for a sixty minute boil to get about 2.5 gallons of wort at the end of the boil. You can also mash with less water and then sparge in more water to get to full volume. You might get better efficiency that way but I've never done it so I cannot give you pointers on that. I have done many batches mashing in full volume and had no issues. As with all things ymmv, but my general process is to bring 3.5 to 4 gallons of water to a mash in temp (usually around 155-165 degrees depending on what mash temperature I am going for). Your mash temp should be between 148-158 degrees. The cooler it is the more fermentable/dryer it will be and the warmer it is the less fermentable/maltier it will be. Should never mash above 158-160 though or you will kill all your enzymes and as you get to 170 or so you risk tannin extraction. Once the water is at strike temperature, I add my grains and then make sure that I have reached my target mash temperature (again between 148-158 degrees typically unless I am doing some sort of step mash). I then remove from heat and cover it with a lid. I leave it for 90 minutes stirring and checking temp every thirty minutes. I usually don't lose more than ten degrees of temp so I don't bother with trying to keep heat on it. You can get full conversion in 60 minutes but I have found I get better efficiency with 90 minutes but again YMMV. After ninety minutes I add heat again and bring the mash to about 165-168 degrees for a mash out. I dunk the bag of grains in the water once or twice and then remove the bag and drain/squeeze the grains over the pot to get as much of the wort out as I can. Some information indicates that squeezing grains can lead to tannin extraction but I and many other BIAB'ers have been doing it consistently without any issues, but its your beer do what you will. I use an oven rack placed over the brew pot to hold the grains above the wort while I am draining/squeezing. After that, you bring the wort to a boil and everything should proceed as a normal hop boil.

That is just my process. There are many other ways to do it and there may even be better ways. But thats how I do it. Good luck with your first batch!

Here are some pics from the brew day. The wort ended up being very cloudy/foggy, almost looked muddy. Is this normal? And I could just cold crash and clear it up?

[attachment=11560]022413155317.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11561]022413164517.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11562]022413172936.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11563]022413185255.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11564]022513075518.jpg[/attachment]

"calledthestig" post=341843 said:

That's a 3-gallon carboy?

Yes, I got it yesterday because my other fermenter is occupied

After two weeks in bottles this is what I got.

It tastes awesome already, this has me very pleased with All-Grain! (BIAB) This looks, smells, and tastes just like a witbier should. I am also really surprised that it tastes this good after only two weeks in the bottle.

[attachment=12378]032613172859.jpg[/attachment]

1 week into conditioning and I threw them all into the fridge, this baby is ready already! This is my best beer so far by a long shot, any coincidence it is my first all-grain?? This thing tastes/looks/smells exactly like a witbier should, I should know, I am obsessed with Wits and have had more than I can count :P As it warms up the lemon peel I used comes out slightly, not overpowering, and it tastes like a perfect summer beer, very drinkable! And it even has good lacing :banana: Sorry just super excited!

[attachment=12475]040213165031.jpg[/attachment]

Woah, ready after a week in the bottles? Sounds a bit early for me.

I am going to throw one of mine in the fridge this weekend and it will have been three weeks.

Sorry made it sound a bit confusing, its been 3 weeks in bottles, 2 carb, one conditioning

"yankfan9" post=357874 said:

Sorry made it sound a bit confusing, its been 3 weeks in bottles, 2 carb, one conditioning

OH OH OH, okay. Phew well sounds like we have the same mindset then.

Mine is going in the fridge Friday night for a Saturday drink. I cannot wait to drink my first all grain beer especially since you are saying its better than anything you've ever had. :chug:

Awesome, I'll be looking to see what you think! It is the Cascade "Almost" SMaSH right? If so, should be tasty!

"yankfan9" post=357878 said:

Awesome, I'll be looking to see what you think! It is the Cascade "Almost" SMaSH right? If so, should be tasty!

Yup that's the one - it's my recipe collaboration with Joe. :party: