Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

Remember MrB Pilothouse Pilsner?

Because of the hops, it had a flavor which was like white grapes ... it wasn't my favorite, but it grew on me.

Anyway, I don't remember the name of the hops, but a local LHBS had them the last time I was in there; I recognized the name when I saw it.

I didn't buy any, but I really should get some.

That is what MrB has always done well, has a nice selection of difrerent HME's. I like the new lineup better, but some of the "classics" were indeed memorable.

Nelson Sauvin.

I have a few cans of Pilothouse still. Need to make myself use them for something one day.

EDIT: If you liked those hops and want to see what a beer intensely hopped with them tastes like, if you see "Anchor Humming" on the shelf this summer/fall, buy some. It's like Anchor Liberty Ale hopped with Nelson Sauvin, and it's delicious. (some people seem to not think so, but that's because of how unusual the hop is, I think it's great).

"mashani" post=341792 said:

Nelson Sauvin.

Bingo! Thanks! I'll get a few ounces this weekend if there's any left, or I guess I could just look and see if MrB has any.

Nelson Sauvin is an awesome hop - I recently did an IPA with 6 oz of them, and it's super tasty! Very soft bitterness too. I have 6 more ounces in the freezer for another go. Mmm...

I'm a big fan of NS, too. I've used them in a number of pale ales over the past years. Widmer makes a great Drifter Pale Ale using them, too.

As luck would have it, I bought two cans of the PP when MrB was closing them out a few months ago (since I had never tried it) and whipped it up about a month ago. I threw in some extra NS and Amarillo for the dry-hop and will be cracking one this week to test at 3 weeks in the bottle.

I assume it would be a good $5.00 batch of beer (or maybe it was $5.00/can). In any case, based on what others have said about the PP, I expect it will be a nice, easy drinker with plenty of the NS flavor.

Pilothouse Pilsner = one of T8r's favorites. I have made 2 batches of this pretty much straight up and enjoyed every drop of it after all my gulps were gone. It is solid and I just might have to kick the hops up on future batches like some of y'all are doing. Good topic and good brew!!!

[attachment=11566]thumbsuppic.jpg[/attachment]

This was one of my favorite beers, about 3 years ago.

Pilothouse Pilsner
Brewing: Pilothouse Pilsner
Features: fresh, fruity, golden, crisp and delicious (5.2% abv)
Price Range: $17.50

Combine the traditional classic Pilsner taste with the fresh fruity aroma of 'Nelson Sauvin' hops and prepare yourself to be swept away. This pale golden Pilsner promises to deliver a remarkably crisp and refreshing brew invoking hints of memorable South Seas aromas.

Pilothouse Pilsner
REFILL INCLUDES:
2 Cans Pilothouse Pilsner HME
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HMEs)
1/2 Pouch Booster (optional)
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser

INGREDIENTS: MALTED TWO ROW BARLEY, HOPS, HOP EXTRACT, WATER, AND YEAST (Packed Under Lid).

Fermentation, Carbonation And Conditioning Times:
21 days for fermentation
21 days for carbonation
28 days minimum conditioning at 50-70F
02 days minimum in fridge

Fermentation: 20-Mar/10-Apr (68-76F)
Carbonation : 10-Apr/01-May (68-76F)
Conditioning: 01-May/29-May (50-70F)

Brewer's Comments: "This is my sixth attempt at brewing beer, my first using a recipe that includes 2 cans of (HME). I sampled this brew after 14 days of fermentation, the taste was very pleasing with a nice hoppy aroma"

Pilothouse Pilsner was THE one brew that made me look at brewing differently and made me realize I wanted to make stuff that tasted that good!
So much so the the second non- MB brew I made was an DME recipe steeped with Caramunich and Carapils hopped with Nelson Sauvin!

I still use Nelson quite often and keep a beer with it in the pipeline as much as possible!

I have a batch in the fermenter now due for bottling this weekend. I added 1 bl of light DME, 20 minute Saaz boil, and dry hop; brewed as a true lager. I am looking forward to this one.

Guest System Admin

I just brewed a PHP with added malt, steeped CaraPils and Sterling hops additions.

It's been fermenting since Monday the 18th. Going to dry hop it tomorrow.

Sounds like when these are ready we should all raise a toast and send off the PHP together.

Well this is a timely post. I have a can of the Pilothouse and one of the Black Tower Porter. Was wanting to make something quick and easy. I may run to the local beer store and just grab another package of one or the other. I think the PHP comes with 2 cans - so theoretically I could do a 3 can Pilothouse, or a 2 can or even 1 can plus some DME, a little carapils and some hops.

I haven't been able to sample the Pilothouse so I don't know what it tastes like. Part of me keeps thinking to grab the American Devil when I decide to grab some old HME. Time to search the forum for some PHP recipes and reviews.

Cheers
jeff

Sadly, I didn't try the PP until the clearance sale.

I'll have to get some of the NS hops and try to come up with something close because PP is/was a VERY good and unique brew.

(I kind of thought the NWPA was somewhat close to PP. Maybe a 20min NS hop boil with the softpack LME would come close? It's worth a try.)

Luckily, I have a dozen 12oz PPs left to enjoy. I'll gladly join in a TOAST to the dearly departed Pilothouse Pilsner!!!!

pghFred - If you want an AG recipe that uses NS and tastes great (IMO) shoot me a PM.

Luckily I picked up a boatload prior to the closeout sale from MB...I still am able to brew at least 2-4 more batches and I just bottled one batch yesterday as well.

If you really do want more, it does still exist in the realm of the :evil: I believe.