Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Incognitum

Second brew, Winter Dark Ale, taste delicious.

I spent about 4 hours today brewing two new batches, cleaning and organizing my inventory. Yeah, hard work, right? :popbeer:

I thought I'd celebrate by cracking open the first bottle of my second batch this evening.

It's the Winter Dark Ale brewed with a Robust LME. It fermented for the full 3 weeks and has conditioned a little over 3 weeks as well.

At 3 weeks of conditioning... it's a very delicious beer. Looks and tastes great. The Chocolate/Coffee flavors of these Winter Warmers are not necessarily my favorite, but the beer is very damn tasty.

So, with that said... anyone object to having 2 beers at the 3 week mark? :barman:

Congrats! I made the Winter Dark as is and thought it was good but a little bitter. I'll bet it's great with the LME.

I happened to JUST open a Winter Dark Ale last night (brewed straight up) after being in bottles for 7 weeks and it makes a HUGE difference, some of the flavors mellow out and you'll get a much nicer head on your beer.

It's good at three weeks, but its even better as it ages a bit. I posted a picture in the Pour Sticky - check it out!

Many, many, MANY of us drink our beers at 3 weeks but that doesn't mean it's ready but many times, can be.
I always taste my bottled beers after 2-3 weeks but by week 4 and 5, they are much better and more enjoyable.

I'm drinking mine right now. I used the Robust as well. I lightly carbed (2.0) per style and I like it. A very enjoyable winter brew. :cheers:

IMO the WDA is the best of the craft series and it only gets better with age.

Guest System Admin

"Bull" post=342565 said:

IMO the WDA is the best of the craft series and it only gets better with age.

+1. WDA is an unqualified home run, IMHO. Everyone who's tried some of mine has had great things to say about it. Sure, it can be made even better with tweaking, but straight out of the can, it's a darn fine brew.

I cracked open a few of my WDA (also made with Robust LME) at 3 weeks and also was impressed by how delicious they were so early in the carb/condition phase. Once I did this, it was hard to let them continue to sit around because I knew they were just so tasty... they were callin' my name!

I love this brew so much, I've bought stuff to make three more batches of it. :gulp: Then maybe I won't be tempted to open them up so early. Maybe... :whistle:

The Winter Dark is a winner, for sure! I'm drinking the batch I bottled back at the end of October and it is definitely aged well.