Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
philm00x

09. Gremlin Heifer-weizen (PM) (RCE 2013 brew)

Gizmo and I have come up with a tangerine hefeweizen for our collaboration recipe, and I'm really excited to brew it soon. I have already purchased my grains and hops, but I haven't purchased the yeast yet since I want to buy it and use it day of, or day prior to brewing. Gizmo is going to do his all-grain, while I'm doing a partial mash since I feel more confident I'll be able to achieve my OG using DME, but still want some practice mashing grains. This will be a 2.5 gallon batch, boiled for 90 minutes due to Pilsner malt.

(For those of you wondering about the name of the brew, it is something I came up with as a combination of mine and Gizmo's usernames. A lot of my friends know me as m00, which is at the end of my username, so cow is derived from that, which a heifer is a cow. Gizmo is the little fuzzy guy in the Gremlins movies, and heifer-weizen is a combination of hefe and heifer, so gremlin heifer-weizen.)

2.0 lbs Pilsner malt - mashed
1.5 lbs Wheat DME
0.5 oz Saphir @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz Saphir @ 5 minutes
0.25 oz Sweet Tangerine Peel @ 5 minutes
0.20 oz Coriander @ 5 minutes

Estimated OG: 1.048
Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated ABV: 4.7%
Estimated IBUs: 20
Estimated Color: 5 SRM

Debating White Labs WLP300 or WLP380 Hefeweizen Ale yeast for my batch, leaning more toward the 380 as it is listed to produce more citrusy esters that would complement the brew.

Is one vial of the liquid yeast enough for this batch? I don't have equipment to make a starter so I was hoping to buy enough to pitch w/o making one.

Guest System Admin

since adding the coriander more of a "Witbier" many Belgian Wheat beer have orange and coriander

RE: the yeast - it's really dependent on the strain and what you want out of it, but for an LBK sized batch, one fresh (1-2 month old) vial of yeast is enough in a beer like this IMHO.

If it's older, say 3-4 months, then you can still get away with it, but due to the extended growth phase you will get more of the esters and phenols then if the vial was fresh (whether this is good or bad is up to you and the style of beer you are looking for). It should fully ferment regardless giving appropriate aeration and available nutrients. You do have a higher chance of infection if you pitch the older yeast, as it won't be as fast to out-compete other organism growth. This varies by yeast strain and how it was stored, some are tougher and more viable at this age then others.

If it's older then that you need more vials of yeast or you need to make a starter for best results. I will not say it won't make beer, it will... but I could not honestly say it will make the best beer you could have, regardless of what you are looking for.

I remember seeing this one mentioned, too. Looks like the Borg is coming up with some tasty hef variatons for Spring drinking.

"Trollby" post=342257 said:

since adding the coriander more of a "Witbier" many Belgian Wheat beer have orange and coriander

Good point. Make this a hefewitbier? I still intend to use hefeweizen yeast for the cloudy look and flavor profile.

Went to LHBS to pick up the yeast, and they don't carry White Labs yeast, but instead substituted with Wyeast 3333 German Wheat smack pack. They assured me it is the equivalent strain of yeast as WLP380, and I found this page that confirmed it: http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Further assures me that the guys at my LHBS really know their stuff and are great at customer service.

I'm now mashed in with the pilsner malt, so I've already got the smack pack activated, and I'm going to start on something for SWMBO while I let the grains mash.

Great brew day!

75994_10152618648845022_65558673_n.jpg
563543_10152618648450022_677898797_n.jpg
58484_10152618647940022_947528549_n.jpg
65591_10152618647530022_2035702523_n.jpg

Just pitched my yeast into 1.054 OG wort, so I did better than estimated (credit due mostly to the wheat DME, although I think my mashing technique is improving). Did a 90 minute boil due to the pilsner malt, so the first hop addition didn't go in until 30 minutes into the boil. The sweet tangerine peel and coriander gave the most amazing smell when I added them at the end of the boil! I'm really excited for this one.

Side note, the weigh scale that my wife got me for my birthday has proven to be an invaluable tool. It's nice to be able to weigh out my portions properly at home.

Looks good! I'm planning to do mine in about 2 weeks, Slightly different recipe, since I'm going all grain, and I'm going to forgo the coriander as well.

2.5lb German Wheat Malt
2lb German Pilsner Malt
.5lb Flaked Wheat

.35oz Saphir 60min
.5oz Saphir 5min
.25oz Tangerine Peel

White Labs 300 or 380, depending on what's in stock at LHBS.

went ahead and did up a label so I have that ready to go.

gremlincd.jpg

Sounds you two have come up with a winner. I enjoyed my brewday with Trollby immensely. These collaborations are great.

Gizmo, that label is AWESOME!! I looked at the WLP380 for the description saying it promotes citrus flavors, so I thought that would accentuate the tangerine well, but if you can only get Wyeast, the Wyeast 3333 German Wheat is equivalent strain to WLP380.

Photon, I completely agree, and it's a great way to compare subtle differences in the brew ingredients and differences in the process. I'm glad I chose to do the partial mash, as I feel like it gave me the chance to improve my technique with the limitations of my equipment.

I peeked into the LBK and saw a great thick head of krausen, tons of CO2 bubbles, and a lot of swirling about. Guess the yeast is happy :) :banana:

So I was given tonight off (well, I'm on call, but shouldn't have to go in). I'm planning on brewing mine tonight instead of sitting at work. I've got all the ingredients, decided to go with the WL380 as well. Just have to wait for the family to go to bed and it's game on! It'll be nice to get a wheat back into my stock.

And brew is in the keg! Came out to 1.047 so a bit short of the 1.049 projection, but should be a fine beer. It was a nice change to see an almost colorless wort after doing so many darker batches the last few months.

Bottled this up today, and went pretty smoothly using my bottling wand. Definitely worth the 3 bucks for it. FG came in at 1.012 giving a 5.4% ABV.

Can't wait to see how this comes out - sounds like you two both had a great experience.

It seems that this was definitely a really great learning experience for everyone.

wow, my guesstimate for the label was spot on for you! Hope mine comes out as well!

"Gizmo" post=353360 said:

wow, my guesstimate for the label was spot on for you! Hope mine comes out as well!

Holy crap, I just noticed that, now that you mentioned it!

Mine is in the bottle. Tastes pretty damn good. Came out to 5.1ABV, so a little short of predicted, but right where I like my beers to be for easy drinking. Next step: Enjoying!

Good stuff! I'm quite excited to try mine out. If you're up for it, I'd like to try and exchange a couple of the ones I brewed with a couple of yours to compare and contrast the differences between the AG and PM, and the differences in the flavor with yours omitting the coriander and mine including it. As I mentioned in a previous post, since my LHBS didn't carry White Labs yeast, I used the equivalent Wyeast strain 3333, and I'm curious if the same strain produced by two different companies makes any difference as well.