Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Underwood

Refill or Recipe? What is your Mr Beer go to!

My question is for all the guys and gals that have been brewing for awhile and have probably been through all or most of the Mr Beer refills and recipes.....is this:
What would your list be for your top 4 Mr Beers and that one go to, that tops them all.

"Photon Brewing" post=342733 said:

winter dark lager(the old recipe)
first pitch pilsner
horses ass ale(old recipe)
pardi gras(older archives)

Great choices Photon...I just brewed the 1st Pitch Pils and have been drinking my Horse's Arse Ale (I put in a lil too much ginger so I am trying to condition it out for a bit - a good brew nonetheless)

T8r's top choices are: PilotHouse Pilsner, Rose's Ramblin' Red, Johnny Silk's ESB, Brew HaHa Bock = ALL OLD MB Recipes

Winter Dark Ale
Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner
Albert's Atomic Altbier
Diablo IPA

Im not one of the more experianced brewers but I too like the Winter Dark Ale. Out od the twelve batches I've made that is my fav

I doubt if anyone's been through all the recipes as there used to be 140 of them a couple years ago.
Favorites for me:
Monkeys Dunkel
Augsburg Dark
Snow Drift Dark

I had a few favorites from the old MRB line up (Witty Monk, Sticky Wicket, ADIPA, Pilothouse Pils), below are what I've tried of the new ones and have in order of personal preference.

Refills:
Northwest PA
Bavarian Weiss
Diablo IPA
Bewitched Amber
**Softpack LME added to all

Recipes:
Belgian Blanc
Ramblin Rose's Red

I also did the new Jamaica Mon recipe and was not impressed. Good, but not great. The one using the old HME was better.

Refills:
Winter Dark Ale
Bewitched Red (old Mr. Beer HME)
Bewitched Amber
St. Patrick's Stout

I do my own modifications to the brews and haven't used any of the recipes to date. That will change once I've used up all my old Mr. B Bewitched Reds, though.

Opening myself up for all kinds of witty one-liners here, but how does one obtain the Horses Ass Ale (the ginger sounds interesting)? I haven't been able to find any of the old refills/recipes.

If you google it, Im sure the recipe will come up. When I did it, it was with the old extracts but they can be substituted(another hme and some dme) and you can get pretty close to it.

Guest System Admin

"Darth Trumpetus" post=343120 said:

Opening myself up for all kinds of witty one-liners here, but how does one obtain the Horses Ass Ale (the ginger sounds interesting)? I haven't been able to find any of the old refills/recipes.

You are probably about 3 months too late on that. MrB had a blowout sale that most of us vets cleaned up on a while back. Unless they are very old, I doubt you can find any old MrB HME's out there at retailers.

I have gotten a lot of the old recipes from the wayback machine. I dont have it on this computer but I have it on my tablet so when I get on that I will post the address unless someone else does before me. The recipe Horses Ass ale may be on that

He asked where to get the ingredients.....not the recipe.

The recipe is easy....it's where to find a can of HCCD that's the issue at hand.

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can High Country Canadian Draft HME
1 Pouch Booster™
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
1 Packet Cascade Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

YOU PR0VIDE:
1 Cup Honey
1 Teaspoon Fresh Grated Ginger

The new Coopers/MrB refills do not have anything that approximates the HCCD at all.

Guest System Admin

HCCD has some pretty good color to it so I'd stay with Pilsen or Golden Light but that's just me. Amber would work too.

Here's one I just made:

1.21 lb HCCD HME
1.50 lb Pilsen Light
.25 lb steeped CaraPils

.25 oz Sterling @ 12 min

.50 oz Sterling (dry hop)

I had one on the snowday (Tuesday) and it was fantastic.