Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
richtazz

Slimline for batch priming sanitizing question

I'm considering buying a slimline for batch priming, but I have a question about sanitizing. Since bottle priming really isn't that big a deal to me, an extra sanitizing step would maybe be a deal breaker.

Can you mix up sanitizer in the Slimline, place your racking tubing inside it to sanitize them, then empty the sanitizer through the slimline's spigot into your bottles to sanitize them, or would doing this render the sanitzer ineffective for the bottles?

It's not a question of saving money on sanitizer so much as a step. Having to sanitize the slimline and racking tubing separately from the bottles, adds a step vs bottle priming.

Opinions please and thank you in advance for your responses.

I use Iodophor as my sanitizer. I mix it up in a large bucket that is reserved for sanitizer only. I pour in sanitizer to fill the slimline about half way, put the lid on and shake for awhile to make sure all surfaces have been contacted. I then run the sanitizer through the spigot and back into the original bucket full of sanitizer. Then I open the lid and dump the rest back into the bucket. I continue to use the sanitizer in the bucket to do my tubing, bottles, etc. etc. Works fine and have never had a problem.

Yes, I'd say it's the right way.

I clean my slimline with Oxyclean and let it air dry. Once dry I add the correct amount of One Step for 2.5 gallons, add warm water, and let it sit for a few hours - or if I'm really planning ahead - overnight. Then I attach the racking cane and start filling my bottles. I let these sit for about an hour and dump 'em. As I dump I rotate the bottle so ther sanitizing solution gets on the lip of the bottle. After they are air dry I'm good to go.

Thank you very much for the replies, looks like I'm adding a slimline to my brewing equipment.

Last question, where do you guys procure your sanitizer, LBH or at a retail store like Wally-world or Lowes/Home Depot? Any specific brands better/easier to use than others? I already have Oxy-clean Free for cleaning, just need to know where the best place is to get sanitizer...thanks again!

Which sanitizer to use is really a personal preference....you'll get a bunch of different answers and they will all be good. I use Iodophor and get it at the LHBS. But star-san works just as good. The only reason I use Iodophor is because that's what my brother used to sanitize his wine making stuff so that's what I learned to use first. Really no other reason than that.

"richtazz" post=342836 said:

...Can you mix up sanitizer in the Slimline, place your racking tubing inside it to sanitize them, then empty the sanitizer through the slimline's spigot into your bottles to sanitize them...

Absolutely, you can.

I use a slim-line for my batch priming of 2.13 gallon batches. Just put one-step in with water and let dissolve. I try not to put anything in side of the container, I just put my hoses in a large bowl and dump the solutioin on top of it after the slim-line is sanitized.

I get it by 1 lb containers at my LHBS.

"richtazz" post=342867 said:

Last question, where do you guys procure your sanitizer, LBH or at a retail store like Wally-world or Lowes/Home Depot? Any specific brands better/easier to use than others?

Just make sure that you get a no-rinse solution. One of the guys at my LHBS talked me into buying a sanitizer that requires rinsing, because it saved me a bit of money, but the extra hassle isn't worth it.

"packerduf" post=342905 said:

"richtazz" post=342836 said:

...Can you mix up sanitizer in the Slimline, place your racking tubing inside it to sanitize them, then empty the sanitizer through the slimline's spigot into your bottles to sanitize them...

Absolutely, you can.

+1 Its how I do it. :popbeer:

A slimline is great for batch priming a LBK sized batch but if you plan on ever doing 5 gallon batches, you may want to look at getting a 5 gallon bottling bucket. I am wishing I had one now as I am going to begin 5 gallon batches in the near future.