Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Another_Round

Blue moon using Mr. Beer ME

Hey guys, I've been brewing for almost a year now with mostly positive results. I've used this forum to answer a lot of questions starting out but could not seem to find something that would help with my next beer quest. I am looking to make a Blue Moon type Belgian White Ale using Mr Beer malt extracts. Would either the Belgian Blanc or the Brigid's Blonde recipes on the Mr. Beer website do the trick? If not, what would everyone suggest?

Guest System Admin

Too bad we can't get "Witty Monk" any longer. There was a recipe called "Wicked Monk" that was real close to Blue Moon.

I have not tried any of the ones you listed so I'm unable to give an opinion on those.

Anyone else try brewing those yet??

Haven't tried them either. I suppose using the Weissbier extract, you could add some wheat LME or DME and some orange peel and coriander. Of course you might need a different yeast strain to avoid the banana/clove esters. That was my thought early on trying to clone Blue Moon.

JimH probably has it as close as what I did and I just bottled it earlier today:

Old Mb WWW = 1.21# can
1 lb of wheat DME
.5 oz of coriander seeds crushed
the zest of 4 small sweet oranges
2 paks of 2 gram MB yeast
no add'l hops other than what came in the can of WWW HME

I will report back in 3-4 weeks after conditioning

"Another_Round" post=343069 said:

What yeast would you suggest? Belgian Witbier? T-53? S-33?

Read on Homebrewtalk.com that someone used US-05.

I will keep searching other HBS on the web to see what the suggest.

• Like 1

I ended up using the following recipe:

Bavarian Weissbier
Mr. Beer Golden LME
Belgian Witbier Liquid Yeast
Zest of (2) oranges
1 tsp coriander seed

I bottled it earlier this week. I'll let everyone know how it turns out in a few months when I crack one open. Until then, if anyone has tried to make a Blue Moon-esque Belgian White, let us know how it turns out.

"Another_Round" post=363655 said:

I ended up using the following recipe:

Bavarian Weissbier
Mr. Beer Golden LME
Belgian Witbier Liquid Yeast
Zest of (2) oranges
1 tsp coriander seed

I bottled it earlier this week. I'll let everyone know how it turns out in a few months when I crack one open. Until then, if anyone has tried to make a Blue Moon-esque Belgian White, let us know how it turns out.

I made almost the exact same recipe 6 weeks ago. The only differences are that I used 1/2 oz each of coriander seed and bitter orange peel. I also threw in an ounce of Mt. Hood pellet hops just before flameout. After 3 weeks of fermenting and 3 weeks of conditioning I've been drinking it for the last 3 days and all I can tell you is that it is INCREDIBLY delicious beer.

This is what I did. Fermenting now.

Blue Moon Clone
---------------
Brewer: 413 Brewery
Style: Witbier
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.037 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 13 IBU
Recipe Color: 3° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.009
Alcohol by Volume: 3.5%
Alcohol by Weight: 2.8%

Ingredients
-----------
CaraPils - [body, Head] 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Wheat DME 3.00 lb, Extract, Extract

Saaz (Czech) - Noble hop variety. Very spicy, cinnamon-like and earthy. recommended for Bohemian Pilsners and German and American Lagers0.50 oz, Pellet, 45 minutes

Corriander Seed .25 oz, Spice, Crush then add 10 minutes before flameout
Orange Peel, Sweet .5 oz unit, Spice, 10 minutes before flameout
Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

I was going to do a simular clone but with 1/2oz saaz, bitter orange, coraninder. And I was going to steep a camamile tea bag at flameout.

havent done it yet I would be interested how these turnout.

Just popped one open last week after about 2 months conditioning and it tasted great! Not exactly the Blue Moon clone I was looking for but more of a Blonde Ale. It is very refreshing with a slice of orange and is going to be the perfect summer beer I was hoping for. I put strawberry extract in half of the bottles (strawberry blonde, get it?!) but I want to let them condition out a bit more before I try one. I'll check back when I try those to let you know how they turned out.

Sounds yum!

Let us know on the strawberry, and also the brand/amount used.
Sounds like it would be good.
I have a Blueberry wheat recipe I will be cooking in about 2 weeks,
not sure how much extract to use yet.

Also, if anyone else can update on their blue moon recipes and how they like them,
please do...I have not had a bmoon in quite a while, but used to love em.

Here's a photo I took last night made sort of blue (best I could do - its sort of purplish) for your Blue Moon Rising label - if you want it. Edit: here is one that I did a better job making it blue.

[attachment=13964]BlueMoon06232013_12b.jpg[/attachment]

I brought a few on vacation with my family and it got great reviews. Nice and refreshing on the beach. I used strawberry extract from Midwest Brewing Supplies website to make the Strawberry Blonde. I put it in when I bottled it and put 1 tsp in a few, 2 tsp in a few, and a TBLSP in a few. I think the 1 tsp is enough. It gives enough flavor while keeping it refreshing. I read in the reviews that it takes a while to condition out so I gave it 9 weeks and I'd say it turned out great and was enough time to condition out any off flavors it may have.

The Belgian Blanc recipe is an amazing wit recipe. Try it out.

I came across this one on another thread but have yet to try it. It's a Blue Moon Like Clone with Extract. It seems easy enough:

2 pounds Wheat DME
0.5 oz Saaz @ 45 minutes
0.25 oz dried SWEET orange peel @ 10 minutes
0.25 oz crushed coriander seeds @ 10 minutes

US-05 Yeast

Boil 1.5 gallons of water + 1lb DME in the boil of the hops and spices and then add the remaining DME at flameout and then pour into pre-filled LBK. Then top off and pitch my yeast.