Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BigFloyd

A House for my Brew

I've been talked into kegging by a brewing friend (he caught me in a moment of weakness - just after I bottled). So, I had to make a beer-house out of the chest freezer that lived in the garage. I had been using it for fermenting.

I didn't want to dispense my brew in the garage and there was no way SWMBO was going to be cool with an ugly white freezer sitting in the den, so a wonderfully helpful neighbor (who is good with wood) and I got together and made this:

Keezer12_zps37dab013.jpg

Except for the 2x8 collar and the wood under the tile, it's all solid oak from an old church pew we've had for about 20 years. It was starting to split at the plank joiners, so I figured it would be nice to "re-purpose" it for something like this.

keezer11_zps7cb8fef2.jpg

I bought all of the plumbing (reg, lines, manifold, connectors, etc.) from Brian at birdmanbrewing.com who was great to deal with and had the best prices I could find for a new 3-faucet setup. I still need to add a 4" wide stainless drip pan in the holder.

I've got one batch of Northern English Brown almost done conditioning and an ESB finishing in the primary. I guess I'd better get busy if I want to have all 3 faucets operational. :chug:

Thanks guys. It ended up being more work than I thought it would be initially, but I'm pleased with the result. So is SWMBO. ;)

"RickBeer" post=343170 said:

Wow! How does the freezer motor stay cool. Is it open in the back?

Good question.

The cabinet is three-sided. The freezer has an opening in the back which, because of the freezer position (not flat up against the wall), is unobstructed. I also cut a half dozen 2" holes down on the lower left side of the cabinet to allow air to flow through the vent plate that's on the side there.

Guest System Admin

Legen -----------------------------wait for it--------------------------DARY!!!

From a womens point of view I would have to say BEAUTIFUL! I would let that in my house anytime!

That is what I call........."SWEET GENIUS". Beautiful piece and great use of recyclable material using the pew!!!

[attachment=11629]applaud2.png[/attachment]

"BigFloyd" post=343196 said:

Thanks guys. It ended up being more work than I thought it would be initially, but I'm pleased with the result. So is SWMBO. ;)

"RickBeer" post=343170 said:

Wow! How does the freezer motor stay cool. Is it open in the back?

Good question.

The cabinet is three-sided. The freezer has an opening in the back which, because of the freezer position (not flat up against the wall), is unobstructed. I also cut a half dozen 2" holes down on the lower left side of the cabinet to allow air to flow through the vent plate that's on the side there.

that ought to do it

Extremely awesome in every respect! Even if I had the patience, time and money, I don't have the tools and especially, don't have the talent.
You'll be enjoying the pours for a very long time.

Now I wanna finish my basement with a bar and have something like that myself. Great work.

That, Big Floyd, is a magnificent piece of work! Congratulations!

"Da Yooper" post=343301 said:

Now that is a GREAT way to hide a big, ugly, white thing. Good job!

Don't bring Rosie O'Donnell into the conversation, okay?

"BigFloyd" post=343135 said:

it's all solid oak from an old church pew we've had for about 20 years.

Well then, Praise the Lord and pass a beer.

Very well done sir.

Wow, that is awesome!
[attachment=11642]yourock_2013-02-28.gif[/attachment]

"Inkleg" post=343521 said:

Well then, Praise the Lord and pass a beer.

LOL.

Ironically, the small piece of trim (with the holes) where the faucets come out was once a part of the bigger piece used for the drip pan below. The big part was for hymnals, the parts with the holes were for communion wine cups. In that church, we used the real stuff. None of that wussy grape juice.