Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
philm00x

10. Bubba's Hard Citrus Punch

My wife wasn't all :banana: when I told her I would be brewing today, but when I told her I would be brewing something that she would drink, her ears perked up and her eyes glistened. I took a page from Cleveland013's book to make her a "Mike's Hard" type drink, as it's the only type of alcoholic beverage she would drink besides moscato wine. I told her to go buy 4 cans of frozen fruit juice concentrate so that I can turn them into a sweet alcoholic beverage for her.

On my trip to the LHBS today, I picked up the remainder of the things I needed to make this, along with the rest of the stuff for my tangerine hefe.

544354_418032654953508_443692026_n.jpg

Here's the ingredient list:
4 cans (11.5 fl oz) Welch's Orange Pineapple Apple juice concentrate
1.00 lb Lactose
2.50 lb Cane sugar
1 packet Red Star Pasteur Champagne dry yeast

Per Cleveland013's recipes listed in his thread found here, I filled a pot with 1/2 gallon of water and brought to a boil to dissolve the sugar and lactose. Once dissolved, I pulled the pot off the stove, and filled an LBK with a gallon of refrigerated water. Opened each can of juice concentrate and poured them into the LBK. Then I poured the wort of sugar and lactose into the LBK, and then topped off the LBK originally to the 8.5 qt line, but then filled it even higher to under the Q in quart for about 2.25 gallons.

484944_418033551620085_1573949743_n.jpg

OG came in at a stammering 1.102, so this has the potential for over 10% ABV, although it might take a good long while to ferment. I'll be taking every week after 3 weeks to see how it is progressing. This is actually part of the reason why I filled the LBK higher than I wanted to- when I took a gravity reading at the 8.5 qt mark, it was 1.114, so I diluted it some more so that it wouldn't completely wreck my wife after one sip.

Does it have a malt flavor like Mike's? If it doesn't can you add a malt extract to kinida give it that Mike's like flavor and if so how much. I'm very interested in this recipe. I like it the way it is actually, but my wife like the way Mike's has that malty like flavor to it.

no malt flavor since there were no malts used in brewing. i poured a sip out of the LBK to let my wife try, and she said it had a strong alcohol smell, but had no alcohol taste, just the fruit flavor. I imagine you could probably use a little bit of DME or mash some two-row malt and reduce the amount of sugar so you get some malt flavor.

yes you can, and following the procedure I did from Cleveland013's thread about doing the same type of drink, he recommended using half (or maybe less than half) the amount you would use for a beer. you can certainly just pour it straight out of the LBK without carbonating and it would probably taste just fine, but my wife wants me to have it be slightly fizzy, so I'll be carbonating.

"Beer Bandit" post=349938 said:

If i did use malt...how much DME would i use and how much sugar would be suitable? Could I use HME?

you don't want to use HME as you don't want hops flavoring or bittering in this drink (and if you actually do, then go for it, but i think it would be weird). as far as how much DME, replace 1 lb of sugar with 1 lb of DME.

Glad its working out for you Phil! :)

Mine came out strong as well, not quite 10% but high!

My wife needed to mix hers with some Sprite, etc to dilute the alcohol a bit. :)

Next time I make it I'm going to do half to 3/4 the sugar and perhaps put some of the concentrate in at 2 weeks in to try to hang onto the fruit flavor a bit more.

Good Luck! :)

Just took a gravity reading today to see if it was about ready, and to check the flavor. First of all, the flavor is great! Not too tart, and just the right amount of sweetness. Second of all, it finished at 1.022, giving it 10.3% ABV!! I'll definitely bring the sugar down a bit next time. maybe 1.75 or 2 lbs instead of 2.5 lbs (unless my wife likes it the way it is).

I think with the flavor it might just depend on what kind of fruit flavor it is.. ones that are more sweet might stick, and ones that are more tart might need to be done at different times.

so you only had it fermenting for two weeks??

i cooked up a 2 gallon batch of what im calling Apfelwein (apple wine) on 2/22 and it's still bubbling away after almost three weeks and no signs of it slowing down.

i might have to do a test sample soon

this is the recipe i used
5 cans apple juice
2 pounds brown sugar
3/4 pounds cane sugar
1/2 pound lactose
1 pack Côte des Blancs yeast

OG 1,090 not including lactose

Second of all, it finished at 1.022, giving it 10.3% ABV!!

At that ABV, I have the name for you:

wait for it................................

Phil's Panty Dropping Punch

roadx, yeah it's only been fermenting 2 weeks. expected FG was 1.026 and it already is past that. has stopped bubbling up. i'm going to let it sit for another couple days and take another reading. if it's still the same, i'm going to bottle.

Wings, :D one sip and the panties will disappear. My wife is quite the lightweight when it comes to alcohol. :banana:

"philm00x" post=350970 said:

Wings, :D one sip and the panties will disappear. My wife is quite the lightweight when it comes to alcohol. :banana:

;) :banana:

Nice! nothing like nice fast fermentation.

with patience mine will get there.

"philm00x" post=350970 said:

roadx, yeah it's only been fermenting 2 weeks. ke another reading. if it's still the same, i'm going to bottle.expected FG was 1.026 and it already is past that. has stopped bubbling up. i'm going to let it sit for another couple days and ta

been around 2 weeks in the bottle. 1/4 tsp of sugar was perfect amount for carbonating the drink. it's really strong, but the fruit flavor still comes out nicely, despite the dry finish. next time, definitely gonna reduce the amount of sugar in the wort. maybe 1.5 lbs instead of 2.5. and try a sweet wine yeast instead of champagne yeast.

"philm00x" post=358965 said:

been around 2 weeks in the bottle. 1/4 tsp of sugar was perfect amount for carbonating the drink. it's really strong, but the fruit flavor still comes out nicely, despite the dry finish. next time, definitely gonna reduce the amount of sugar in the wort. maybe 1.5 lbs instead of 2.5. and try a sweet wine yeast instead of champagne yeast.

1/4 tsp per bpttle?
Is that 12oz bpttles?