Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Underwood

approves bill that would legalize home brewing

MONTGOMERY, Alabama --- The House Economic Development and Tourism Committee today approved a bill that would allow those 21 and older to make home brewed beer, wine, mead and cider for personal use.

The bill, by Rep. Mac McCutcheon, R-Huntsville, would limit the total production to 15 gallons every three months.
“This is not the issue here,” McCutcheon said. “This is about the rights of an individual to have the freedom to have a hobby that they enjoy.”

Joe Defee told the committee he has had a successful career in the computer science field and began home brewing when he worked in Washington, D.C. He said the appeal of home brewing for him was similar to the appeal of his other hobby, making acoustic guitars and mandolins. He said he wanted to master the craft.

“I’m really doing this hobby because I’m striving to create a product,” Defee said.

The bill would not legalize home brewing in dry counties and cities. Those convicted of a felony would be banned from home brewing.

:woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana:

"Underwood" post=343670 said:

Wonder what the limit is for crystal meth? I think that bill is next month

7 to 10

Cool! I think that 15 g per quarter is BS, but atleast ya can brew legally now. It is BS saying who can and who cann't though.

a:banana: GREAT ..... just got home and got that newss myself and came here to post it...

Right on congrats to those in AL. They regulate it the same way that they regulate personal medical maryjane growers here in CA...They don’t, they hope the individual partaking will obey the laws. :whistle:

Not sure what the point is keeping felons from brewing... seems to me it would give them something to do besides go out and commit more felonies.

"mashani" post=343709 said:

Not sure what the point is keeping felons from brewing... seems to me it would give them something to do besides go out and commit more felonies.

don't be logical while they're being obtuse.

Just to let you guys from Alabama know...Now that it's legal to make it ain't gonna be as much fun.

Just sayin'.

"daustin627" post=343664 said:

How do they even keep track of that?

There is already a federal law that limits us to 100 gallons a year, 200 gallons if two adults live in the household. As to how they keep track of it...they don't. This limit simply gives them teeth should problems arise.

I currently brew 5 gallons a month so the 15 gallons per quarter would be no issue for me.

Great news for Alabama; it's about freakin' time. It just kills me though that they can't resist putting all kinds of restrictions on it. It takes a special kind of busy body to become a politician. Somebody needs to tell them that giving freedom a chance has always worked in the past.

And Alabama gets dragged, kicking and screaming, into the last quarter of the 20th Century.

I don't imagine they'll be able to regulate exactly how much a person can make. Nobody's every checked on how much I've made. So that's 60 gallons a year, if I'm calculating correctly. That seems low to me, but reasonable.

As it is, I can brew up to 200 gallons a year, and last year I fell very short of that, and I thought I was brewing a lot.

+1 to Oly's observation that, contrary to the beliefs and behaviors of so many (too many) politicians, freedom actually works pretty well.

I expect Mississippi to folow in our footsteps .
Probably wont be more than 10 years or so behind.

This is why most in Alabama say "Thank God for Mississppi"