Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
thedeity

Cherry Wheat

I think I may brew up the Cherry Wheat recipe this weekend. Any recommendations or tips? I have done some searches and have seen some people recommend opening the LBK and adding the cherry puree after it has been fermenting for a week or two.
What about adding cherry extract also or will that be too overpowering?

Thanks!

It's a taste thing. Add the Cherry puree after 1 week of fermenting. When you bottle you can try added some extract to a couple of bottles, but this is really a crap shoot. As I've said many times on here it's really hard to adjust a recipe to taste when you don't know what the recipe tastes like. The VERY best thing to do is brew it as is and take notes. If you brew it again, then you can make flavor adjustments.

I'm in the process of doing a Cherry Wheat right now. It has been fermenting for two weeks and I added the cherries after the first week. Like k9dude said it all depends on your taste. If you want more cherry flavor add them in later in the process (2 weeks). The earlier you add them the more time the yeasties get to enjoy them and subtler the flavor will be.

I did a blueberry wheat where I added 1.2kg of blueberries after a week, fermented again for another two weeks and the flavour is extremely subtle, almost unnoticeable.
I think if I added after two weeks and only let it sit for one it may have been better, I'm not sure.

Drop the booster of you planned on using it and add a pound of wheat DME instead. It will get your adjunct radiogratio more in line with the guidelines. It will likely be a bit cidery at bottling due to the fruit sugars. Ley it condition at least 6 weeks before trying one.

Extract is the way to go to get good flavor. 3 quarters to an oz is all you need for an LBK sized batch. Much easier and reliable in terms of flavor than using actual fruit and less expensive. Also as stated above by Draken drop the booster and use a lb of wheat DME. My blueberry and cherry wheats are some of my fans favorite beers.

Just tried a shot of my Cherry Wheat today while I was taking gravity measurements and like hindey said the taste was very subtle and like Draken said it was quite cidery. I plan to let it ferment for another week, although off the measurements it should be done. Hopefully after it conditions for a while it will smooth out. Next time I try this I'll definitely sub the booster for DME or LME.

The Cherry Wheat was the worst one I've made. It has 48% adjuncts with the fruit and booster. Very cidery, never got better. I complained to the brewmaster and he said they will likely be changing the recipe.

"Prodigy829" post=344511 said:

Just tried a shot of my Cherry Wheat today while I was taking gravity measurements and like hindey said the taste was very subtle and like Draken said it was quite cidery. I plan to let it ferment for another week, although off the measurements it should be done. Hopefully after it conditions for a while it will smooth out. Next time I try this I'll definitely sub the booster for DME or LME.

Conditioning is key with this. Like mentioned above, let it condition for at least 6 weeks and you'll really enjoy the flavour.

Thanks everyone for all the tips. I bottled the cherry wheat on Tuesday, and luckily my new mr beer order was waiting with the bottling wand. I'll post how it turned out!

The Cherry Wheat was like #4 out of my 50+ Batches, and I loved it. It did take a little longer to condition out with the use of both fruit AND booster, but it was tasty. I shared it with friends, and got positive feedback as well. Even had a friend offer to buy the stuff for a batch, as long as I give him half of the bottles.

I couldn't wait...tried one early. I should of listened. Good thing I bottled a few half liters. I will definitely let it go another 3 weeks and do the recommended 6 week conditioning. At 3 weeks it was not quite what I was hoping for....