Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ScottyP

Lemon Shandyweiss - Thoughts?

Planning on brewing a created recipe in the near future. Stats from Qbrew as follows:

Lemon Shandyweiss
-----------------
Brewer: ScottyP
Style: Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.050 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 20 IBU
Recipe Color: 3° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.013
Alcohol by Volume: 4.9%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.8%

Ingredients
-----------
Mr. Beer BrewMax Pale - LME 0.55 lb, Extract, Extract
Mr. Beer BrewMax Wheat - LME 0.55 lb, Extract, Extract
Mr. Beer/Coopers Bavarian Weissbier1.87 lb, Extract, Extract

Mr. Beer/Coopers Bavarian Weissbier1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Tettnanger (U.S.) - Bittering clean with floral spice aroma perfect for Wheat, Pilsners and Lager style beer0.50 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

Lemonade Kool-Aid (Unsweetened)3.00 unit, Flavor, 3 packets dissolved into wort.
1/2 tsp dehydrated lemon zest
1/4 tsp crushed coriander
Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Tettnanger addition at flameout, prior to addition of HME.

I'm not looking to duplicate a Leinie's Summer Shandy per say, but looking to get something either similar or just something that tastes pretty good. Any thoughts from the borg on this one?

Im not the one to ask about recipes but this sounds good to me, please let me know how your initial taste goes. Im thinking I might try this

will do connie. If everything goes as planned I will be brewing this on Friday and should be ready to bottle by the end of the month. First taste at bottling - I'll post initial thoughts then

Brewed this one today. OG at 1.051 very close to brew estimate(1.050). Initial impressions are that this will be very good. Flavor is lemony, but not overpowering. Next update on bottling day. Cheers! p.s. yes, I did change my user name (formerly toohotty23)

Bottling day update:
FG = 1.010 @66F Corr FG=1.011
ABV= 5.25%

Very good overall. Tettnanger hops playing nicely with the lemon flavor and just a hint of spice. Once carbed and conditioned I expect some of the tartness to subside, but even if it doesn't this is certainly not overpowering. Now all we need is some warm weather to enjoy this crisp, refreshing brew.

Update:
First taste 4/6/13 (I know only 14 days in bottle, but couldn't resist). This reminds me less of a shandy and more of a farmhouse saison. Beer is very clear, golden in color with a small head and lacing already. It's quite refreshing, a little spicy, and a little tart. As I said before I will do a "first pour" post in 3 weeks with the final review.

Final review with picture and changes I would make coming tomorrow AM. I haven't forgotten about those that have been interested.

This is the final review of my Lemon Shandyweiss recipe. Knowing that I wouldn't have a true shandy since I was using lemonade mix in the primary, and after the first taste, I am changing the name of this beer to Faux Lemon Saison. The review comes 6 weeks after bottling.

Brew Date: 3/8/13
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.011
ABV: 5.3%
Bottle: 3/23/13

[attachment]IMG_20130428_184411_256[2].jpg[/attachment]

This beer pours a nice deep gold color with a moderate head and lacing. The smell is predominately lemon with hints of spice and biscuit. Now, as for the taste - very crisp and lemony, it reminds me a lot of a Belgian Saison with a little more sourness from the lemon. Overall, I am very pleased with how this one turned out, I will definately make it again, but with a few minor changes.

1. Reduce the lemonade kool-aid packets from 3 to 2.
2. Would benefit from T-58 or Saison yeast more so than WB-06
3. Would consider using an orange kool-aid in addition to the lemon, but not necessary.

Overall, very pleased and will give this a 6.5/10, but it has potential to be really, really great. Can't wait to try another one in a few weeks.

Picture doesn't seem to want to upload today. I'll have to take a new pic and upload later. :evil: