Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ga Ced

Fermentation

I'm 21 hours into fermentation and I have a lot of foam at the top of the brew. Also it seems like foam or trub at the bottom( looks more like trub). Is my fermentation ok? If not where did I go wrong? Not sure if the photo gives you a good look at what's going on
[attachment=11733]image.jpg[/attachment]

Guest System Admin

Wow, an anti-gravity beer.

How do you keep it from pouring out at that angle?

If there's krausen and trub, you're doing it right!

Camera is bad I know. The Canadian I have in the LBK isn't fermenting at the same rate. Maybe it's the different yeast I used. I'm just curious since I have never experienced that type of phone at the top

Sorry I didnt notice the phone on top but its probably ok. Seriously your beer is fine some fermentations are rather tame and others look out. I've been doing clean up after my two most recent batches.

The flash from the camera is the reason you can't see it. I will upload a better photo to give you guys a better idea of what I'm talking about. Also the yeast had a strong smell, stronger than the standard Mr. Beer yeast

Looks like a healthy fermentation to me. I'd be more concerned about using that spindly little table.

Yesterday I brewed the standard coopers lager recipe and the high country Canadian from the old Mr. Beer recipe. I used the yeasts that came with both kits. The temp when I pitched the yeast was 26c and today it's around 24c.

Guest System Admin

[attachment=11740]image_2013-03-03-3.jpg[/attachment]

This is a look of what the build up at the bottom looks like

trub it's ok. rahahb. that is why some people racked to a secondary after about a week. however not really necessary.

Ok, I was just concerned because I have never experienced that type of fermentation on the first day.

Every batch is different, bro. Even separate batches of the same recipe are going to have their own quirks. As long as you have trub, you're making beer. Life is good.

"khawk95" post=344877 said:

How do you like the coopers 5 gal fermenter?

This is my first time using the fermenter, the wife bought me the kit last month for my birthday. I like the fact that it came with a stick on thermometer and a hydrometer. The only problem is size, the LBK is easy to store and clean especially if u don't have much space to work with.

I have one more question for you guys. What is the possible result of using less water than the recipe calls for?

"CedBrew" post=345625 said:

I have one more question for you guys. What is the possible result of using less water than the recipe calls for?

it'll make it more of everything. might want to run it thru qbrew to make possiable changes in the hops amount to keep it in style. it'll raise the abv a little. at least so far it's worked for me

Would it be safe to add water after fermentation has begun? I've made a lot of errors brewing these first couple of batches, I hope they come out well.

Guest System Admin

"CedBrew" post=345647 said:

Would it be safe to add water after fermentation has begun? I've made a lot of errors brewing these first couple of batches, I hope they come out well.

no, well how long yesterday? if not then no

I figured that wouldn't be a good idea. I think I have all my mistakes out the way, so I'm about to order some recipes from Mr beer tonight.

"Meytchison" post=345659 said:

I'd let it play out and make corrections on the next batch.

+1 time will help to mitigate some mistakes

I hope so, I'm sure the wife is keeping tabs of the amount of money we are spending on brew. Especially since I told her to cut back on clothes and shoes. Ha