Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DetroitBrew

I Hate Bottling

"yankfan9" post=352566 said:

Thanks for all the replies guys :cheers: And one last question.. until I think of more :whistle: Since you have three 3 liters full of beer but only one tap, do you leave the other two bottles conditioning for longer, or pop them in the fridge as well so the flavor doesn't change anymore? That is, if you don't want the flavor to change anymore. And how often do you change the bottles and get new ones? Thanks

I leave mine to continue conditioning, but like you said, if you like exactly where it's at, then put the rest in fridge.

I plan to rotate mine and hopefully to have several kinds in fridge at same time for variety on tap. I also put some from most batches into small bottles, also, for giving away or whatever.

I can't say yet how long each bottle will last. I don't see why they won't last through several uses. We'll find that out together, I guess.

Very nice, so I'm guessing you will have more than one tap if you want several kinds on tap? I was thinking about getting more than one but held back for now, until I get a few under my belt.

"yankfan9" post=352612 said:

Very nice, so I'm guessing you will have more than one tap if you want several kinds on tap? I was thinking about getting more than one but held back for now, until I get a few under my belt.

Yes, more than one tap. I found some used ones on ebay, the older style that was designed with two 8 gram cartridges instead of one 16 gram. Then I got one of the new ones also. Now that I see how easy it is to use an 8 gram cartridge in the new tap, I don't mind it at all.

This is great, Joe.

I couldnt help it and connected the tap to the soda bottle and let whatever carbination was in there push the soda out. That bottle is less than half now and still has enough pressure to dispense. I see that as a good sign for how it will work with CO2 and a bottle carbed beer.

Many thanks to JoeC and his son for getting the 3 litre bottles to me as well as the cartridges we picked up. Also, many thanks to him for his assistance on giving me the info needed to bottling the 3 litre bottles that I just finished bottling. So far the easiest bottling day I have ever had.

[attachment=12270]kiss_my_ass_2013-03-20.jpg[/attachment]
OOPS, wrong pic and MB wouldn't let me edit it.

[attachment=12271]Thanks_2013-03-20.jpg[/attachment]

How do you know WHEN you need a new bottle? This is what's kept me from going this route... when they say a bottle is good for 4 or 5 batches it makes me go HMMM... I toss my PET bottles when I see something that looks like a defect form, but this is rare, and I have never had a PET explode... but it would really suck if a really big bottle blew up.

"mashani" post=353080 said:

How do you know WHEN you need a new bottle? This is what's kept me from going this route... when they say a bottle is good for 4 or 5 batches it makes me go HMMM... I toss my PET bottles when I see something that looks like a defect form, but this is rare, and I have never had a PET explode... but it would really suck if a really big bottle blew up.

That's a great question. I always wondered about that on the individual size PET bottles, too. I always figured it's kinda like love: you'll know it when you see it. I'm hoping I can see signs of stress or brittleness or something and toss them before anything bad happens. Like you say, on a large bottle that would be a sad mess.

It's worth keeping in mind that as the inside diameter of the container increases the rupture pressure comes down. It's all about square inches vs. tensile strength. Bigger container means more square inches.

I agree a wand makes a world of difference. I line'em up on the counter, prime'em all and bottle away. I may invest in a simple countertop capper. The little bit of work just makes the beer taste that much better.

"T8r Salad" post=352965 said:

[attachment=12270]kiss_my_ass_2013-03-20.jpg[/attachment]
OOPS, wrong pic and MB wouldn't let me edit it.

That HTML is stubborn, wont let you edit anything. :borg:

I'm waiting on CO2, gave in and got it online which makes it about .80 a charge. If I had gone for a bigger quantity, it would have come down to about .60 .

Finally got around to using this tap a draft with the 8 gram cartridge and pennies and duck tape trick to make them fit. I am trying it on the MB White IPA. Thing is, I am a little worried about how it will taste. When I transferred to these 3 liter bottles they were the exact color the white ipa should be. Now, after 4 weeks in the bottles they are all more of an amber red color. How did this happen? I have never had this happen before. Also, I switched the cap for the tap this morning and it seems like the pressure has now equalized. Does this mean I can drink out of it tonight? Or should I wait a few more days?

"yankfan9" post=378318 said:

Finally got around to using this tap a draft with the 8 gram cartridge and pennies and duck tape trick to make them fit. I am trying it on the MB White IPA. Thing is, I am a little worried about how it will taste. When I transferred to these 3 liter bottles they were the exact color the white ipa should be. Now, after 4 weeks in the bottles they are all more of an amber red color. How did this happen? I have never had this happen before. Also, I switched the cap for the tap this morning and it seems like the pressure has now equalized. Does this mean I can drink out of it tonight? Or should I wait a few more days?

Not sure about the color thing, it happens to me sometimes, too. I do think you can tap some of that beer now. I've put the tap on and drank from it right away a couple times. Enjoy!

Just did, and the beer tastes great! A lot of Coriander flavor which I wanted because I added more than was given in the kit, and the tap works flawlessly! I used half the normal amount of priming sugar and then used the 8 gram cartridge trick, and it is carbed perfectly, thanks Joe!

@JohnDubya, I'm really interested in this mini keg that you put the link up on the first page of this thread. I've read your recommendations and am interested in possibly purchasing one. Is there anything else I need? I recently purchased the TAD System on Northern Brewer's web site and will have that as well. I look at this as an easy way for me to improve on bottling when I'm not quite ready to jump into kegging. These smaller kegs will fit perfectly in my fridge as well. Do you need 2 kegs for a 2.5 gallon batch? I'm assuming you can batch prime and then simply let them carb and condition in the keg like normal.

"SlickRick07" post=381747 said:

@JohnDubya, I'm really interested in this mini keg that you put the link up on the first page of this thread. I've read your recommendations and am interested in possibly purchasing one. Is there anything else I need? I recently purchased the TAD System on Northern Brewer's web site and will have that as well. I look at this as an easy way for me to improve on bottling when I'm not quite ready to jump into kegging. These smaller kegs will fit perfectly in my fridge as well. Do you need 2 kegs for a 2.5 gallon batch? I'm assuming you can batch prime and then simply let them carb and condition in the keg like normal.

Not to take the question away from Dubya (actually....I think I will take it away), but I also used that same system (from Rebel Brewer as well) to get into kegging. The keg itself is 2.5 gallons, so you only need that one for keg a LBK sized batch. As you mentioned, you will need to batch prime this for carbonation (I still occasionally naturally carb a keg when I can force carb instead). You are basically filling a 2.5 gallon bottle. When naturally carbing, I place my cooled priming solution into the bottom of the keg. Position your hose at the bottom of the keg in a semi-circle around the outer edge, so that your beer will circulate as it fills. This helps get a good mix with the priming solution. Put on the cap and set aside in your conditioning area until ready to tap.

Rick