Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tomtravelino

Obsessed

When my wife got me the Mr Beer for Christmas I dont think she expected it to become my new obsession. Little did she know that my love for beer and for cooking that this was a match made in heaven. I spent (and still spend) hours reading oodles of information from this community sucking up more and more info and more and more ideas. Since the initial Mr Beer starter kit, I have picked up 3 more lbk and just scored a great Groupon on a 5 gallon starter kit. I just have to keep telling myself to slow down, to be patiend and to take it step by step. I am sure there are other out there who can relate!!

It's hard to contain yourself once you get started. Especially when you are trying to build up a pipeline. Patience has been the hardest part for me so far. OH, and not pissing off SWMBO by taking up too much beer space :laugh:

I'm right there with you. I limit my brewing to one night a week. However, I still do my drinking research regularly.

"dond427" post=345956 said:

I'm right there with you. I limit my brewing to one night a week. However, I still do my drinking research regularly.

I wish I had the time and money to brew that much. I usually brew 2 weekends in a row and have to take one off. The money spent is SWMBO's biggest issue.

I can't get brewing off my mind. I think about it at work and at home. I have spent crazy money and I am always looking at the next thing. I have allot going on and brew maybe one or two times a month. I am doing 5 gal batches and I am kegging. I recently washed my yeast and I have done one BIAB. I continue to lean toward extract brewing with a nice grain steep.

This is the first obsession that I have had except for wife and family and I hope to continue brewing for many years.

Brew On!!!

Yeah... that happened to me too. On the plus side, it's cheaper than most other hobbies, so my wife doesn't mind. Especially after brewing her a hard fruit drink.

Yep same here at work at home seems like it is always on my mind. The wife doenst mind too much because she has her obsessions as well but she also reaps the benefits and I have turned her onto good beer finally. Once a week is impressive. Right now I am shooting for a every other week basis would love to do more just need to get supplies. For now I am learning everything I possibly can.

My name is Jeff and I am a brew a holic - fortunately I am also an alcoholic so this is a perfect hobby for me :) SWMBO also enjoys a well crafted brew so it would appear this is a perfect hobby :)

Cheers
jeff

"Manowarfan1" post=346361 said:

My name is Jeff and I am a brew a holic - fortunately I am also an alcoholic so this is a perfect hobby for me :) SWMBO also enjoys a well crafted brew so it would appear this is a perfect hobby :) Cheers jeff

NO NO NO Jeff, You are a DRUNK not an alcoholic. Alcoholics go to meetings, Drunks go to bars or stay at home and brew and drink their brews!!! I am in the same boat.

THE ADDICTION is MY AFFLICTION

:evil: :cheers:

I can relate to the OP's story very strongly.

My wife got me a kit and 3 refills for Christmas 2 years ago, figuring I'd MAYBE make 1 or 2 batches and be done with it. I had the same expectations. But, after the first batch, I could feel the "gravitational pull" starting to take effect, and it wasn't long before it was my primary hobby, to the surprise of both of us.

But, we're both fine with that. She's happy because it's a hobby that doesn't 'involve leaving her home alone with the kids (unlike golf, for example). I'm happy because it's a hobby that involves drinking good beer.

The classic win-win scenario.

"Crazy Climber" post=346479 said:

My wife got me a kit and 3 refills for Christmas 2 years ago, figuring I'd MAYBE make 1 or 2 batches and be done with it. I had the same expectations. But, after the first batch, I could feel the "gravitational pull" starting to take effect, and it wasn't long before it was my primary hobby, to the surprise of both of us.

But, we're both fine with that. She's happy because it's a hobby that doesn't 'involve leaving her home alone with the kids (unlike golf, for example). I'm happy because it's a hobby that involves drinking good beer.

so true, so true

Same here. Brewed my first batch (American Classic Light) by Mr Beer instructions instead of coming here first (whoopsies!), so I made some "mistakes" per-se. This forum helped me to let it age more in the bottles and it was so MUCH better after the 4 weeks conditioning. My second batch (Octoberfest) is really good, and i'm looking forward to my next 2 batches.

Other than the initial cost of extra equipment, I really don't see this being much more expensive than store bought micro-brews, and it's so much more rewarding.

LONG LIVE THE BORG!!!! :borg:

"Crazy Climber" post=346479 said:

There really is a gravitational pull to home brewing which I found out quite quickly. I got my kit over Christmas as well. The day I opened the gift was the same day I was on the computer already reading up and ordering supplies. Since then I already got another LBK, and more equipment than you could shake a stick at. I also moved to kegging and more recently spent some cash (around $90) to build the ultimate brew bench. I soon plan to go to all grain as well making 10 to 15 gallons at a time. Brew on my friend, brew on :drinking:

Other than the initial cost of extra equipment, I really don't see this being much more expensive than store bought micro-brews, and it's so much more rewarding.

This. The initial cost of setting up a pipeline is not so fun. I'm looking into building a fermentation chamber similar to Screwys since I live in an apartment.

Other than that this seems like a pretty cost efficient hobby.