Mr.Beer Community
MattP1981

Chocolate Oatmeal Stout Input

I'm looking to try a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and wanted to seek input from the Borg. Below is what I currently have and what qBrew has given me so far. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Would it be best to do a partial mash or just steep the oats and malt? I plan to use regular oats but toast them before I use them.

Recipe: Mateo's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout Style Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: Matt Pierson Batch 2.13 gal

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity 1.049 OG Estimated FG 1.012 FG
Recipe Bitterness 43 IBU Alcohol by Volume 4.7%
Recipe Color 50° SRM Alcohol by Weight 3.7%
Ingredients

Quantity Grain
0.12 lb Chocolate Malt (US)-
0.50 lb Flaked Oats [briess]
0.55 lb Mr. Beer BrewMax Smooth - LME
1.87 lb Mr. Beer/Coopers St. Patrick's Irish Stout

Quantity Hop Type Time
0.25 oz Fuggles (U.K.) - Pellet 0 minutes
1.00 oz Mr. Beer/Coopers St. Patrick's Irish Stout Pellet 5 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Safbrew S-33 Dry Ale Yeast (rehydrated) Yeast
High ABV: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

I like how it looks! I'd steep it.

I'm assuming that you know that the chocolate malt isn't going to give you a chocolate flavor, right?

"BigFloyd" post=346366 said:

I'm assuming that you know that the chocolate malt isn't going to give you a chocolate flavor, right?

I've just started using it in batches I have not tasted yet. According to this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart it gives u a chocolate, coffee, nut, roasted flavor. If not, what's it bring to the table?

I also added powdered coacoa to the batch, so I should have some choco flavor, I hope.

From what I read it will give a slight nutty, chocolate flavor is what the description said. Not expecting it to taste like a Hershey bar though

"MattP1981" post=346480 said:

From what I read it will give a slight nutty, chocolate flavor is what the description said. Not expecting it to taste like a Hershey bar though

I see it used in a lot of stouts, that's where I used it. I also added coacoa for a more pronounced choc. taste. I still like your batch list.

Just my opinion but I think 1/2 lb of flaked oats is too much. I'd do 1/4 pound but as I've just used oats for the first time in my stout, I'd love to hear from those who have and what they think.

Thanks fellas! That's what's so great about the Borg is the input and support everybody provides in here! I'll be curious to see what amount of oats others have done as well!

From what I've read, you should keep the oats to no more than 10% of the total grist. But I too would like to hear what others have done but it's too late for my batch which I did this past weekend. Though I was under 10% total.

"Beer-lord" post=346483 said:

Just my opinion but I think 1/2 lb of flaked oats is too much. I'd do 1/4 pound but as I've just used oats for the first time in my stout, I'd love to hear from those who have and what they think.

I use oats in all my stouts and love them. However, I brown them first in the oven to draw out the flavor and then steep. yummy!!!! :cheers:

I toasted mine for 3 1/2 minutes and they didn't brown but I didn't want too much of a flavor and was looking more at mouth feel.
Scottbrew, what amounts do you usually use?

I use 1/2 lb of oats in all my LBK sized oatmeal stouts and they've come out great. In fact in my collaboration brew I'm doing with RayYankee we're using 1/2 lb of flaked oats. I use a full pound for 5 gallon batches. Most oatmeal stout recipes I've seen use this amount.

I toast them 60 min at 325F turning every 15 minutes.

That's interesting k9.....everything I've read suggests otherwise but I appreciate the input. And, roasting for 60 minutes is a real surprise to me.
I'll try this out on my next stout (which will be a little while before I get to it).

Next question.....does it make a difference between flaked or rolled oats on how much you use?

"Beer-lord" post=346535 said:

That's interesting k9.....everything I've read suggests otherwise but I appreciate the input. And, roasting for 60 minutes is a real surprise to me.
I'll try this out on my next stout (which will be a little while before I get to it).

Next question.....does it make a difference between flaked or rolled oats on how much you use?

No, it shouldn't matter at all. They should both give you the same "oatmealy?!?! :dry: " amount. I have never actually used rolled oats though, so I can't say for sure.

Oh btw I've actually seen an Oatmeal stout recipe that uses 2lbs of oatmeal for a 5 gallon batch!!!

I found it:

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_302.htm

"k9dude" post=346524 said:

I use 1/2 lb of oats in all my LBK sized oatmeal stouts and they've come out great. In fact in my collaboration brew I'm doing with RayYankee we're using 1/2 lb of flaked oats. I use a full pound for 5 gallon batches. Most oatmeal stout recipes I've seen use this amount.

I toast them 60 min at 325F turning every 15 minutes.

+1 I use 1/2 lb of oatmeal in all my LBK batches and toast 60 minutes as well. :gulp:

Well good to know on the amount and times to toast! Think the Fuggles are a good choice?

"MattP1981" post=346548 said:

Well good to know on the amount and times to toast! Think the Fuggles are a good choice?

Sure!! I usually use either Fuggles or Kent Goldings for my stouts. They don't overpower the brew, but yet give the necessary bitterness to cut the sweet. I'm not a hophead kind of guy so I tend to err on the side of malty and sweet.

Instead of the S-33 (which is a great all purpose yeast) why don't you try Danstar Nottingham dry yeast instead? It has more of the qualities that fall in line with WLP Irish Ale and the Irish Ale smackpack.

"MattP1981" post=346548 said:

Watch'em closely when toasting because the oats will burn quickly if you are not paying attention. Burnt is not a good flavor profile. :drinking:

K9, do you add hops to the boil at all or just dry hop them? I may try to get the Nottingham if I make it to a LHBS before I brew it.

I would definitely add the hops to the boil as the stout needs some. I've never dry hopped a stout as I think it might get lost in the roastiness of the stout.
That said, there are some stouts that have small amounts dry hopped.

+1 to Beer-Lord. I don't dry hop my stouts. Keep in mind that the HME has hops in it already, given that you don't want to overdo it. If you want to do a hop addition I would go with no more that 1/2 oz at a 60 min boil. Stouts don't benefit from hop aroma IMHO so dry hopping isn't something I would do.

"MattP1981" post=346673 said:

Possibly just like a 20 minute hop boil?

All a 20 minute hop boil will do is give you aroma and a small amount of flavor (30 minutes is considered THE amount of time to gain flavor). Honestly if it were me I would either do the 60 min bittering boil or not do it at all. Of course though this is YOUR beer Matt so don't let me tell you how to make it. If you enjoy that hop aroma and taste..go for it!! Either way make sure you check back in and let us know how it went!!

when you use flaked oats, when do you usually put them in?

If doing all grain, you mash them with the rest of the grain. In an extract brew, steep them for 30 minutes, preferably with other specialty grains.

60 minutes it is! Thanks for the tip k9dude! I definitely will let everybody know how it goes!

Swen made a great post awhile back on an oatmeal stout he did

Swen's Oatmeal Stout I imagine when I'm making a stout I plan on doing it similar to this..

Maybe you'll gather an idea or two.. either or , it was a good read.

~worm

That is a good read, didn't think about brown sugar. May have to try that with it.

Well I'm gonna add a little brown sugar to it as well after PM'ing Swen about his stout, thanks again Swen!

Well I think I'm gonna finally brew this up this weekend. Thinking of adding some cocoa powder and lactose to it as well. Thinking about 4 oz of cocoa and 2-4 of the lactose.