Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevenf

Brand New with question about first batch

So I just got my Mr. Beer kit last weekend and started my first batch of CAL on Monday. Everything I have done so far has been according to the instructions and it seems to be going very well. Fermenting at about 70 to 71 degrees because that's room temp at my house. So I've been reading alot on here about brewing and things others have done and I've come across several posts regarding the amount of priming sugar to use. I'll be using the 1 liter bottles that come with the kit. Should I plan to use the 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar? I'm not in a hurry to make fast beer. I want it to taste great. Thanks and seems like an awesome community. I'm sure I will have lots more questions. I've always wanted to try to brew my own beer and I think I might be hooked if I can make a decent product.

Welcome to the borg :cheers:
As you said you have done much reading heed what you have read about fermenting and conditioning times. That amount of sugar to prime may be a little high but will work

First, welcome to the forum. Spend a lot of time reading. ;)

Sugar in the bottles has NO IMPACT on how soon your beer is ready.

The Mr. Beer carb levels are very high. Most go with something lower. www.screwybrewer.com for a calculator that lets you play and see what you might like.

I like 65% of Mr. Beer levels. If you're doing bottle priming and using teaspoons (not weight), check which teaspoons you have (most have 1, 1/2, and 1/4) and go with the closest measurement to your desired level.

Remember 3-2-2. 3 weeks in the LBK to ferment. 2 weeks in the bottles, at room temp, to carbonate. Then 2 MORE weeks in the bottles, at room temp, to condition.

Welcome to the Borg! Read all the stickys, listen to the borg and you will make great tasting beer remember 3/4. Three weeks in the LBK (little brown keg) and 4 weeks in the bottle to carb and condition before you put them in the fridge for a couple of days.

Drats Rick beat me to it

Thanks. I have promised myself that I would not rush it. I may have to buy another keg and start another batch of something else just to keep me entertained.

if you are priming in the bottles, check out the Domino Dots. They come in 1/2 teaspoon cubes. Very handy.

"stevenf" post=346951 said:

Thanks. I have promised myself that I would not rush it. I may have to buy another keg and start another batch of something else just to keep me entertained.

Yeah, I said that in January and now have four.

I don't think my wife will tolerate four of them. But I might get away with operating two at a time. The sugar cubes seem like a good idea. Most carbonated drinks I consume, I am ok with more versus less C02.

"dond427" post=346956 said:

if you are priming in the bottles, check out the Domino Dots. They come in 1/2 teaspoon cubes. Very handy.

All I use now is Domino's dots - its not 100% accurate, but honestly neither are my sugar measurements using a measuring spoon. I end up spilling some on the counter anyway.

Just make sure they are the 2.54g dots not the big cubes.

12oz = 1 dot
1L = 3 dots

"stevenf" post=346951 said:

Yes get another keg
It will keep you entertained, and supplied with tasty beer :cheers: